Emotional Eating

Options
Does anyone have any tips to help when you're an emotional eater.

Had some family issues this weekend which upset me and I turned to food.. Now feel like crap cos the scales weren't good to me this morning.

Replies

• clairebeth8
    clairebeth8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had those moments myself, and my first reaction is always to turn to food. Some possible suggestions that I've found help me stay away from the pantry are: reading a good book, doing some craft that's productive (knitting, drawing, etc.), or exercise. One of the best ways that I unwind is just getting outside and walking by myself. Simply letting your emotions come to the surface on their own and processing them can be much more productive than covering up the feelings with food. It's a struggle that I face constantly, and I really hope that you can find something that works for you.
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It may not work for you, (and doesn't always for for me lol) but I use two main forms of distracting myself when I am emotionally triggered and feel the need to comfort eat. I either take a long walk with the dog until it passes, or I grab a book and settle in (hard to eat when your hands are full of book, and I tend to comfort eat with things that can stain paper, like flaming hot cheetos and I hate a dirty book). I have a friend who "anger knits", She will tell herself. "If I do X many inches, then I'll take a taste if I still need it" and so on. Walking though is the best one that works for me. Getting outside and using my legs helps me to calm down.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with the walking and reading. Do you have a buddy to call until it is over?

If I can't get outside to walk, I call someone. We talk until the feeling pass.

There are plenty of people here who would help you through it. Toss out some friend requests.

Reading my News Feed definitely help me pass the moment.

Good Luck!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have moments like this all the time and am actually having one of those kinds of days today. I put that frustration or upset into my workout. By the time I'm done, I'm exhausted and no longer feel the need to eat and usually feel better knowing I worked out instead of running to the kitchen. 1 day at a time. Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. This helps. Ask "Am I hungry?" Ask "Is this a time for a planned meal or snack?" If I shouldn't be eating, but want to for emotional reasons, this is what helps me:
    1) make something to drink, such as iced tea, hot tea or iced water.
    2) get out of the kitchen and away from any food (I go up to my room)
    3) Have a list of things to do for when I get like this and want to emotionally eat. Things on my list are knit, sew, call a friend, draw, read, go for a walk, art journal, write in a journal, etc.
    4) choose one of those things and do them.
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    All of these are such great suggestions!

I have/had so many eating problems, including emotional eating. I recently opened up to a few people and the response was overwhelming and I printed those out and taped them to my desk at work. I am at work 9 hours a day, and alot of my poor eating choices happened here. So looking over and seeing the names, faces, and comments of support was so very helpful!

Not only did I realize I had more support than I thought, but I have people who are really rooting for me!
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always have had (what I think is) a healthy relationship with food ... but sometimes still seem to feel the need for food. Keep something satisfying and healthy(ish) around for when you do give in and practice portion control when you give in. I've found that pita chips, homemade sorbet, or dark chocolate will solve any craving. Usually, I emotionally clean (which actually upsets my SO much more than senseless snacking).