Calorie Deficit Questions

Options
124»

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I should mention it's a weight loss doctor/surgeon I've been working with. We're not discussing that being a continued weight loss regimen. Simply add we've lowered my calories I've continued to gain. We're seeing if this helps. I use to be very active and burn similar calorie amounts. I didn't ask for criticism, just if the math is correct.

The criticism is going to come because you are setting yourself up for failure. First, eating 1,100 calories daily is going to prove incredibly difficult plus put you at risk for micronutrient deficiencies. Second, expecting to burn 943 calories a day, every day is going to burn you out especially since you haven't been exercising. Third, that 1,100 calories is not going to fuel your body enough for a 943 calorie burn. So even if you start this way, you will not be able to maintain it. You will be tired, miserable, hangry, and irritable as you lose lean body mass and strength. Your behaviour and mental functioning will suffer and you may even cause permanent damage. Feel free to carry on which I suspect you will anyway BUT if you post your intentions on a public forum then you are going to get criticism. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Not the Prove it card! Normally the sign of someone losing an argument. How about the common sense card. It's common sense that 200 calories a day NET will not be healthy if you can't see that without empirical research cross referenced stamped and peer reviewed etc I really worry about your personal safety. It's like saying prove to me jumping off a cliff will be bad for my health. I may not be able to give you lots of research but just look over the edge of the cliff it's obvious that's not going to be good for you.
    Yes the 'prove it' card. This was my very original point requesting a citation. "Common sense" is why people believe you can only lose weight if you "eat clean", that the best way to be healthy is to eat low carbs. Or to eat high carbs 'plant based'.

So I'll throw it back at you the "common sense" card is also normally a sign of someone losing an argument ;). "Oh yes, there's no proof at all, but it's COMMON SENSE"

I would love to see some proof, even just some theortical science behind the claims here.

As it goes, I can find plenty evidence that jumping off a cliff can be bad for your health. Of course, there's plenty of ways to mitigate the problems too, so that plenty of people jump off cliffs on a regular basis and do just fine.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You will find me STATING my ingorance.
    If there is 'science' behind the claim it is dangerous, please do provide it.

I provided a link to a literature review a couple of posts above. Also now that you have admitted your ignorance I hope we can conclude this asinine debate. If you wish to educate yourself further you can do so (Google Scholar "VLCD risks" as a starting point) but I am done here. Ciao.
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Don't set a silly food target as it will be unachievable and you may not succeed. Aim for 1 to 2 lb a week . Slowly slowly catchy monkey!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I provided a link to a literature review a couple of posts above. Also now that you have admitted your ignorance I hope we can conclude this asinine debate. If you wish to educate yourself further you can do so (Google Scholar "VLCD risks" as a starting point) but I am done here. Ciao.

Ah, so you did; cheers, a good start.
    However, I also did the search you suggested on google scholar.
    Haven't got the time this second to go through studies but I note that they tend to discuss the risk vs the benefits to extremely obses indivduals. And in plenty of circumstances the conclusion seems to be that the benefits outweigh the risks, presumably due to the relative risks of other methods of losing weight, or of course of not losing weight.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    "Presumably"? Seriously? You want to get into the debate again after skimming some research abstracts and making some presumptions about a topic you are admittedly ignorant about? I don't know what you're trying to achieve in this thread but I suggest you stop. Like I said I'm done.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Well, if you ARE better educated in the area, perhaps you could link to the evidence which backs up your point of view.
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to beat a dead horse by casting an opinion on the net calorie issue. I will mention, however, that a few years ago I swam daily with a Masters program. It was a 90 minute class and I burned over 900 calories a day. On weekends, I was training for the MS-150 (a 150+ mile bike ride that raised funds for MS research through pledges) and was burning 1000-1200+ calories per ride. I will warn you though, I was ravenous. I craved red meat and ate a ton of carbs. My body wanted it. I lost a ton of inches and quite a bit of weight. It was time consuming, but came with great reward. I did not find the exercise regimen sustainable though, especially once I went back to school.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion on how to burn that many calories per day. I saw someone asked for suggestions at one point in this thread.
  • evastria
    evastria Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

Listen to what everyone is saying on here. I know it came from a doctor but 5lbs per week is too much and realistically unsustainable. Aim for 2 lbs - some weeks you may lose more some less, but please don't starve your body. Your body needs calories to function and it's better to go over your calories slightly - this will give you extra energy in order to boost your exercise and make you feel fantastic after your workouts.
    There is a reason why there are a million diet/fitness/health books published and why there are so many sites like this one - weight management is difficult. There is no quick fix and this journey will be long - but just by starting you have taken a FANTASTIC first step. Well done!
    Gonna add you so we can lose healthily together!
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    Well, if you ARE better educated in the area, perhaps you could link to the evidence which backs up your point of view.

I did. You didn't read it. At this point I must conclude you are being wilfully stupid. I'm using the handy "ignore" function now. I suggest others do too.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I did. You didn't read it. At this point I must conclude you are being wilfully stupid. I'm using the handy "ignore" function now. I suggest others do too.
    Actually I did. If you'd taken the time to digest the rest of my post, you'd have seen that - though the link in question was rather one sided - like reading the side effects on some medicine :).

Why am I replying when you've said you're going to ignore me, you may ask?
    Well, seeing that you've already several times said you were done with this thread, you'll have to excuse my scepticism in regards to such claims!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Bottom line for me, a 100 calorie net per day is nuts. I don't need a study, Im not looking for a study. OP you do whatever you think is right. But think about it and maybe get a second opinion.
  • This is a terrible plan to set you up for failure...Motivation you have is great, but this is a life style change and doesn't happen over night
  • DEPick
    DEPick Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Look at it like this. A 500 calorie per day deficit is 1 lb. Loss per week. So to get to 5 lbs. Loss it would require a 2500 per day deficit. You have a TDEE of @ 2600 per day. That is a net of 100 calories per day. If your doctor is ok with that his license should be revoked IMO. Slow and steady wins the race.

ETA...read the sexypants thread above.

yup
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My doctor would shoot me if I tried for 5lbs a week. He was a tad upset as it was when I lost 10lb in one month. Can you actually see yourself eating 1100cal a day for the rest of your life? Because that is what it will take to keep your weight off. "Dieting" doesn't work in the long-term, but changing your diet permanently does seem to work. If You can sustain 1100cal for the rest of your life while maintaining health then try it (although I do advise against it). I just don't see how anyone could maintain that, healthily, without popping loads of vitamins.

I lost an average 2.5 pounds a week the fist two months eating up to 1800cal a day and all my fave foods. It can be done without going to the extremes you're thinking of.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do what your Dr. advises you to do. The people on these boards are not Dieticians or Nutritionists. As long as you are under your Drs. care, you will be fine. I only listen to my Dr.

Right...because doctors are NEVER wrong about anything. We should bow to them and kiss their feet just to be blessed enough to be in their holy all-knowing presence! Yup, it's their world and we're just living in it :wink:
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Oh actually and for the failed-flouncer, I meant to add - there's a difference between a VLCD and a high calorie deficit.

Whil 1100 calories is skirting on the edging of VLCD, it's also on the edge of that arbritary 1200 that everyone presumes means you WILL get enough micronutrients and so on.

All of the evidence presented was in relation to a VLCD, which of course this is not.

Again, not saying there are or are not good reasons to avoid it, but I'd like to see some specifically towards this, what with all the criticism.
  • Telomin
    Telomin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OP - the math is sound..the plan is not...

I agree with this person. All of my friends who are focusing on loosing weight and want to do it fast- always gain it back. Seeing how this thread started in december 2012 and the person who started it only lost 2 lbs (I guess the person lost some then gained them back) the "plan" isn't working.

I suggest (to the thread-starter) trying to live healthily, finding a healthy life style with exercise that you enjoy so you can find a way of life that you don't find pain-in-the-*kitten*. Find healthy people who motivate you (can be found in friends, on instagram etc.).

If you do or if u don't I have no idea, but try to love your body, and do things that are GOOD for it, your body IS you.