Must Lose 200 pounds or face Surgery

Options
Hey folks,

Here's the deal, my wife has been increasingly worried about my weight, and she should be. She has given me a set amount of time to make some progress, if it isnt reached we are looking at gastric bypass surgery. I'm super afraid of being put to sleep so I have to get things in motion. I have lost 16 pounds of the course of the last few months, and just recently started using MFP. hoping that you guys, and gals can offer some support... long road ahead..

Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

You too the 1st step so congrats! You can do this, you can get your health back!

Here's a few links that should help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Have patience, and remember YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome aboard Funship MFP. You've come to the right place for support and learning a healthy lifestyle. Best advice I can give is be consistent, log your food, log your exercise and never give up. Don't let a bad day drag you down. 16 pounds loss is great progress, keep it up!
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! And congrats on the great loss so far, nice job. Way to take your health into your own hands and make healthy changes for yourself and your family. We wish you all the best in your endeavors!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and find some friends on here to cheer you on. They are my daily motivators :) Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Dude, this is THE place! I am super excited for you right now because you sound ready for this and at the risk of sounding like a weirdo I believe in MFP/calorie-counting. I used to weigh 307 lb and it took me over 4 years to lose 45 lb through exercising and trying to eat healthier/less food on my own. I joined MFP and the weight very steadily has dropped off, 74 lb in a little over 1 year...much better progress than I had on my own. Hopefully you will experience that, too!! Stick with the logging and don't get overwhelmed.
  • heyyymissjohnson
    Options
    Bravo to you and your wife for taking your health into your own hands. You can do this without surgery. Good luck and I am happy to support. Nicci
  • kbyebea
    kbyebea Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi! You can do this.. think about the hospital bills you can save for more motivation ;) Also, the benefits of working it off on your own will improve your overall health, including mental health! I know the entire process may seem dreadful, but trust me.. you'll be so much happier and you'll enjoy/view life in ways you never did. Good luck and lemme add you!! :D
  • jillyber
    jillyber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best in reaching your goals. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I will not claim to have all the answers, since I'm still working hard to reach my own goals, but I will motivate you along the way! You can add me if you'd like!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    with the weight you have to lose, you SHOULD be losing 16 pounds EVERY month, not in a few months. This will of course slow down once the water weight, etc slows down but if you commit to hardcore dieting and exercise you can do this.

This is terrible and dangerous advice. OP, please ignore this ignorant commenter. Slow and steady wins in the long run. Good luck!
  • Bu1l
    Bu1l Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    MAN YOU CAN DO IT, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE MENTALLY READY. SOMETHING HAVE TO DRIVE YOU TO GET THERE, AND I THINK YOU HAVE FOUND IT. AS BEING A BIG MAN MYSELF I KNOW THE RISK OF BEING PUT TO SLEEP IN A SURGERY AND THAT IS A VERY SCARY SITUATION.. I THINK THATS ENOUGH MOTIVATION FOR YOU TO GET STARTED. . . I PROMISE YOU, AFTER THE FIRST MONTH, YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY TO LOOK AT YOUR RESULTS ON A SCALE IF YOU DEDICATE YOURSELF TO A GOOD DIET AND EXERCISE. . . AINT NOTHING TO IT,BUT TO DO IT LOL.. GOOD LUCK BRO
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! The greatest journey begins with the first step, and you've taken it by joining.

Just track all of your food (if you bite it, write it!) and make sure you're getting a handle on how much of whatever food you log is in your servings. Just becoming aware is half the battle!

Try to get out and move every day even if it means only a short walk to start. You can also try the "Map My Run" app on your phone which will log walks for you and automatically send them to My Fitness Pal if you go to Apps and hook them up. It's great. No walk is too short. :)

And best wishes on the emerging healthy you!
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    firstly, well done for doing it the hard way :)
    Secondly, good luck with the long haul ahead of you

rooting for you

Feel free to add me as a friend for constant support
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard.. you can do it.. feel free to add me.. it takes patience and pereseverence..
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Good for you, my friend!

Taking that first step and admitting you have to make changes in your life is hard, we have all been there to one degree or another.

MFP has great volumes of good information, bad information and somewhere in-between.

My best advice is to NOT try changing everything at once. Things you will want to focus on over time:

1. Increase your water intake. If you don't drink any, then try getting 48-60oz a day. If you have been drinking water, then try increasing it. Rule of thumb is at least have your body weight - in ounces of water per day. If you weigh 200, then drink 100 oz.

2. Increase your body movement. Walking is the best way to start.

3. Begin reducing how much processed food is in your diet. These are loaded with calories and sodium and very easy to over-indulge on. Focus on more whole, natural foods. If you like cooking, you can find some AMAZING recipes for stuff that you would never have thought about trying before. Fruits and veggies are not boring at all when you really start cooking.

4. Try cooking more at home. Expand your horizons with whole foods. Home cooking is more easily controlled, you can cook extra so you have some for your lunches for a couple days after. Learn how to season your food, it makes a world of difference!!

5. Have fun! You have the benefit of your wife along side of you. Take long walks with her and use that time to re-connect like when you were dating! I'm lucky to have my husband beside me on this journey as we both have weight to lose. We do it all together.

Feel free to friend me, having friends here who can give advice, point you in the right direction and give encouragement is the best part of MFP!
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! I have a LOT to lose too so I'm right there with you. It's gonna be a long hard road but it'll be so worth it!
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss so far! It is definitely possible, when you make it bout a lifestyle change. I have said it many times, but I continue to be amazed, so I will say it again: the support system here is incredible! The friends you gather help you keep motivated and the information they pass along is priceless.

Another great thing to look at is the success stories. They are huge inspiration. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/15-success-stories

I have a lot to lose as well, but we can do it!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Cheers to you for making some very positive first steps!