HRM vs Activity Tracker

Options
Ok so all day I've been doing a lot of research into heart rate monitors (Polar FT60) and activity monitors (Fitbit Flex). The thing is, I want to be able to track myself all day and when I go to workout, I want to be able to keep myself in certain heart rate zones. I feel like the only way to get what I want is to buy both... is there some product out there that compromises and has the best of both worlds or am I'm dreaming too big right now? I don't mind wearing a strap or anything and my price range is about $100 (little more or a little less).

Replies

• MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You want to track your heart rate to monitor your work outs and to see if you're hitting your zones and goals correctly. I like Polar because it comes with a chest strap that goes right by your heart. You can't get a proper read by just wearing a watch. I bought my Polar 4FT for $60 on Amazon yesterday and it's worth looking at. You can find Polars for a really decent price on Amazon. Just remember that you get what you pay for.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's out yet, but the Amiigo bracelet is both a HRM and an activity tracker. It tracks all kinds of things, including your body temperature. I kind of want one!

I think the Basis B1 also does both, but I'm not sure (and I don't feel like Googling it at the moment, haha).

I have a Fitbit One and I love it, but it doesn't do the HRM stuff. Still, I find that it's pretty accurate when it comes to cardio workouts. I've strapped on my old HRM and the Fitbit at the same time, and the calorie estimates were close.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7 about 3 weeks ago and I love it. I'm tracking my HR zones and calories burned with it and as a swimmer it even works in the water. I know what you mean though about a FitBit, and I've been thinking of using both, but it sort of feels obsessive to me............:bigsmile: That's not to say I won't buy one!

I'm way old though so maybe you have more time to get healthy than I do and can just use one or the other for awhile and then decide if you need both. If that's the case I'd go for the Polar!
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    I don't think it's out yet, but the Amiigo bracelet is both a HRM and an activity tracker. It tracks all kinds of things, including your body temperature. I kind of want one!

I just googled it, I want one too!! That seems like the bracelet that I'm looking for... Ugh. Come out already! Haha
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? cuz that's the only way your gonna get an accurate read on your HR.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    The thing is, I want to be able to track myself all day and when I go to workout, I want to be able to keep myself in certain heart rate zones.

The Garmin Vivofit will do this, using the strap when working out.

I use my Vivofit with Timex Run Trainer (GPS running watch) with the Timex's HRM strap (both use ANT technology and read off the same strap) and watch my HR on the Vivofit and running stats on the Timex (don't have to scroll through screens this way).

The only drawback is the Vivofit with a strap is around $170.
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? cuz that's the only way your gonna get an accurate read on your HR.

The website doesn't have much but it says it has a "pulse oximeter" which I'm guessing could calculate a heart rate....? It also says it can figure out your resting heart rate. Not 100% sure though, the website is here - https://amiigo.com/
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    The thing is, I want to be able to track myself all day and when I go to workout, I want to be able to keep myself in certain heart rate zones.

The Garmin Vivofit will do this, using the strap when working out.

I use my Vivofit with Timex Run Trainer (GPS running watch) with the Timex's HRM strap (both use ANT technology and read off the same strap) and watch my HR on the Vivofit and running stats on the Timex (don't have to scroll through screens this way).

The only drawback is the Vivofit with a strap is around $170.

I like how I can buy the watch now and then later get the strap if I feel like I really need it.
  • daweez04
    daweez04 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Polar now has the Polar loop. Wear it like the Nike Fuel band, you can also get a chest strap and use it has a HRM.

I personally just have a Fitbit One I wear all day, then I have my H7 Polar HRM that syncs to my iphone and Endomondo app for workouts. Then I sync both Endomono and Fitbit to my MFP account, and get all sorts of fun readings!
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Not true,
    Check out the Mio Alpha or Mio Link (http://www.mioglobal.com/Default.aspx) or the new TomTom (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/tomtom-cardio.html). They have optical sensors and don't require the strap. They're accurate too! I have the Alpha. It doesn't do the caloric calculations but it will provide your average heart rate over a timed event. The Basis B1 also has an optical sensor but it's purpose is to track all day activity and not exercise activity.
  • gobears20
    Options
    I used the Wahoo Fitness intros Blue HR heart rate monitor and went through two of those. They lasted me about two months. Now, I have been using the Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, iPad & Android 4.3 with Bluetooth 4.0 Smart and so far it has been great! I use the Endomondo app and its worked really well so far. It was between the Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor or the Polar one. I have heard a lot of good things about the Polar one also.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Not true,
    Check out the Mio Alpha or Mio Link (http://www.mioglobal.com/Default.aspx) or the new TomTom (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/tomtom-cardio.html). They have optical sensors and don't require the strap. They're accurate too! I have the Alpha. It doesn't do the caloric calculations but it will provide your average heart rate over a timed event. The Basis B1 also has an optical sensor but it's purpose is to track all day activity and not exercise activity.

My husband has tested several HRMs and found the Mio to be just as accurate as an HRM using a chest strap. I love not needing the chest strap!
  • CuAlMc
    CuAlMc Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i use both i have a fitbit zip for tracking everything but Heart Rate and i also use a HRM with chest strap. i used to use the Polar FT4 but now i have a timex. if you use both together its great. i paid around $80 Australian for my HRM and $50 Australian for the fitbit. so are quite cheap
  • Kinseykick
    Options

Not true,

The Mio Link seems to be what I'm looking for but I can't find any information on whether an app for android has come out for it yet. If not I will need to connect it to my computer but again, can't find information on whether I can do that either. Do you think if it connects to MFP that it will convert the heart rate charts and data into calorie burning data? Ugh, so many choices.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar Loop yesterday because of the fact that it can be paired with a HRM if I want to track specific workouts. From the research I did, the Loop and the Vivofit are the only ones that can pair directly with an HRM. It is waterproof, has a sturdy and customizable band, tracks sleep, calories, steps and activity. So far I am very happy with it.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The Mio battery only lasts 8 hours or so, making it a horrible activity tracker (I don't think it even has an accelerometer).

Personally I use both a Polar H7 (along with the FT60 watch & my Nexus 5 phone) when I'm working out and a Fitbit One all the time. I had a Basis B1 but the heart rate is a snapshot taken every little while, not a constantly monitored read so it isn't useful as a primary HRM.
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    The Mio battery only lasts 8 hours or so, making it a horrible activity tracker (I don't think it even has an accelerometer).

Personally I use both a Polar H7 (along with the FT60 watch & my Nexus 5 phone) when I'm working out and a Fitbit One all the time. I had a Basis B1 but the heart rate is a snapshot taken every little while, not a constantly monitored read so it isn't useful as a primary HRM.

I saw an update saying that they extended the Mio battery to 10 hours but that still isn't very long compared to others.
    Yeah I think I'm leaning toward getting a Fitbit One right now and then later getting a heart rate monitor that just connects directly to my phone. I don't need my heart rate all the time, just when I'm working out. I don't think my job will let me wear a clunky watch/band to work anyways so the One seems like the best fit right now.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Bump because I didn't know about these newer HRM and activity trackers. Might be time for me to do some window shopping.
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    Once you get started you can't stop, haha. I found out that my phone is too old to be compatible with anything out there right now so I'm going to have to hold off but as soon as I get a new phone then I think I'm going to get a Fitbit One and a basic HRM that just connects directly to my phone via bluetooth. Therefore I will be able to track myself during the day and get into my zones during my workout.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Once you get started you can't stop, haha. I found out that my phone is too old to be compatible with anything out there right now so I'm going to have to hold off but as soon as I get a new phone then I think I'm going to get a Fitbit One and a basic HRM that just connects directly to my phone via bluetooth. Therefore I will be able to track myself during the day and get into my zones during my workout.
    I sync my Fitbit One with my laptop, (using a dongle that Fitbit provides which plugs into a usb port on the laptop). It was very easy to set up, and the data goes into MFP automatically. It doesn't have to connect via bluetooth.