Loosing my Mind!

Options
So i have been on my diet of 1200 calories and doing regular exercise I have lost 24 lbs in a little over 3 weeks but today I am feeling really hungry. I can only explain it as i am having food withdrawls Its now my lunch time and all i can think of is getting fast food but I cant break my Diet and chance getting back into bad eating habits. I know i am not starving I eat regularly and enough food to satisfy any hunger pangs. HelllllP!!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    A male of your size should be eating far more than 1200 to lose, and I'm not surprised you're hungry. One of the main reasons that people advocate against huge deficits is because many people find that they aren't sustainable. (Plus it can have other side effects such as nutrient deficiencies, muscle loss, and loss of hair.) I would recommend calculating your caloric needs, creating a moderate deficit, and eat to your calorie goal.

This is a really good read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mdbverd
    mdbverd Posts: 14
    Options
    It seems like you are eating wayyyyy too less...Im a woman and everything I have read says I should never eat less than 1200 calories, in fact I get hungry sticking to my goal so I cant imagine being confined to 1200 calories. I say keep lots of fruit near by, and veggies too...like carrots. Those are healthy options that even if they add a few more calories wont do damage
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    You should look this up, but a lot of sources say that men should eat at least 1500 calories or something like that. The 1200 calorie rule only applies to women. If I were you I'd do some research on what your calorie intake should be.
  • Merlex
    Merlex Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback, I ended up being strong avoided fast food ate my yogurt, banana, apple, and string cheese. I went on a walk as well on my lunch did almost 1.5 mile on my lunch burned off a little over 300 calories, and I feel much better. I learned from my health and wellness class that the best way to relieve stress was to exercise or walk get those endorphins working for me. I will look into upping my calorie intake and see how that goes. So far, it has been going good other than last night and today it hit me hard. I felt like I was starving and going out of my mind.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.
  • Merlex
    Merlex Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow it says i need to eat a ton of calories compared to the 1200 i have been eating.

Your BMR is: 2510 Calories/Day

Your TDEE is:3671 Calories/Day
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Wow it says i need to eat a ton of calories compared to the 1200 i have been eating.

Your BMR is: 2510 Calories/Day

Your TDEE is:3671 Calories/Day

That sounds about right for your size. 1200 calories a day is absurdly low hence why you lost weight wayyy too fast. 24 lbs in 3 weeks is unbelievable, and not in a good way. I recommend subtracting 20% from your TDEE and using that as your calorie goal. That puts you at 2937 calories a day. Try that out for a few weeks and track your progress on the scale. You can always adjust as needed.