really need help working out calories for insanity

Options
Hi guys i just got the insanity workout which im going to start tomorrow... i have read that to loose weight doing this you do need to eat the right amount of calories... the thing is im having trouble working mine out if anyone can help

Im female 26 yrs old 196lbs and im 5ft5

Thank you x

Replies

• fdagasdgfasdgsda
    fdagasdgfasdgsda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whats your body fat %? Pictures would help determine that if you don't know already.

You need to calculate your estimated needs for maintenance calories. The amount of calories your body needs in a day. We need your body fat to do that.

After that you can try eating at that level. Logging everything that enters your mouth to the gram, including butters and oils. Then after you are clean eating at maintenance and find your true one start dropping by 100-200 calories until you don't see a difference in your measurements and weight. Then drop another 100 calories and record measurements each week.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the step to do Insanity! WOO HOO!

Check out the nutrition guide that came with it. It teaches you how to figure out your caloric needs!

Feel free to friend me, I love talkin' Insanity! :)
  • sam3029
    sam3029 Posts: 3
    Options
    I shall get it tomorrow ill go down to boots as i dont know to be honest
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I pulled out my book and here's what I came up with

I'm using sedentary lifestyle - desk job and that you are doing this for weight loss. You should look at the book and see if that's right.

Step 1. current weight in lbs (196) times the sedentary multiplier (12) = 2352 maintenance calories
    Step 2. maintenance calories (2352) + 600 = 2952 Insanity calories
    Step 3. Insanity calories (2952) - 500 (weight los factor) = 2452

Now that number may seem high to you... mine came in at around 1850 and that seemed really high to someone who had been eating 1200 to 1300 per the MFP low figure. I played with it and dropped it to 1500, which worked perfectly... I ate a little more (1600ish) in month 2 when the workouts get more intense. So play with it. Start with 2000 if that seems better to you. If you feel sluggish during the day and your workouts, eat more. If you feel like you aren't hungry, go lower - the math is on average so its just a starting point.

Also, I know that this may be bro science, but I did as the book recommends and had a number of small meals through the day and had good luck with it. That may have just been my individualized experience, but experiment and see how it works for you.

A few unsolicited tips - (1) wear a heart monitor and don't push yourself beyond what is safe (Shaun T will repeatedly tell you to check your pulse); (2) only weight in and measure on fit test days - it will kill you, but the daily fluctuations (including going up some days due to water retention) will kill you worse; (3) MEASURE - don't be surprise if you lose inches but no weight; (4) take pictures; (5) KEEP PUSHING PLAY!!!

Good luck on your journey

Elle W (insanity x2 rounds)