How often do you work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I work out 3 times a week. There is always a rest day between my workouts, because I'm doing full-body lifting workouts courtesy of NROL. If it's a new and particularly challenging session, sometimes I'll take an extra day between them, or if I'm not feeling well or something.

I always stretch at the beginning and the end of my workouts, and I find that I am almost never sore the next day if immediately after my workout I have a protein shake and a banana. I think the potassium helps keep your muscles from being sore and swollen? But I'm not sure if that's science or just anecdotal.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    5 days a week....1 to 2 hours per day.
    Low impact cardio every day and racquetball 3x per week.
    Do some machine workouts every once in a while too.
    I'm 64 and no unusual aches or pains.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I workout hard throughout the week and only run on Sundays. Saturdays are my rest days.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    6x per week. 3x moderate level for 30-60 minutes and 3x intense level for 30-60 minutes. One day of active rest like cleaning the house on top of that.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As vague as it sounds, listen to your body. Do not think about how much is too much or too little, just feel and let go of those thoughts. You will be surprised how well you do and how little you injure yourself, even when giving your all every workout.

As for frequency, you can sustain up to 5d/w of hard exercise (exercise 3, rest 1, exercise 2, rest 1, repeat) or even 6d/w if that sixth day is an active rest day (between 60-70% HRM, really important to not go above that) for 4-6 months without taking two full rest days in a row and avoid overtraining.

But again, you ought to listen to your body or else you will get injured again. It really is that important.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How much you workout all depends on what your body wants. From your original post I would say you need to stretch more and make sure every part of your body is ready for whatever work out you want to do. I workout 5 times a week for an hour each time when I can, but I try not to get disheartened when I can. Do what your body can do.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    at least days a week. cardio every day, weights sometimes back to back days or every other. Depends on how I feel from the last workout or what body parts I'm working.
  • bandlfox
    bandlfox Posts: 33
    Options
    After reading all this I'm feeling like a wuss, going to have to add some time to my gym schedule! I know I need to work my arms and core just nervous to do that around the folks that go to my gym right now, most everyone is already fit and training for some kind of something.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    90 minutes, six days a week. Sometimes more.
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I'm 58, 5'11" hoovering at 200 lbs and I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. I do 30 mins. or 6 miles on the stationary bike, 30 mins. on the treadmill at 3.7 incline 2, and do the strength training circuit which includes: bicep curls, triceps curls, lat pull downs, chest press, ab sit ups etc. 2 yrs. ago I smoked, was 337 lbs. and walked with a cane. I still sleep with oxygen due to COPD which does not go away.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    After reading all this I'm feeling like a wuss, going to have to add some time to my gym schedule! I know I need to work my arms and core just nervous to do that around the folks that go to my gym right now, most everyone is already fit and training for some kind of something.
    Never feel intimidated by other members in the gym. Concentrate on why your there and get it done. At some point you'll be one of those ppl you now fear. No matter how good a shape you're in, there will always be someone else that's in better shape. Don't stress over it. Good luck to you.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I dont have gym membership. I have always worked out at home or take a run outside.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I focused on food only the first couple weeks. Then after I felt more comfortable with what I was eating, I started walking on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes. Definitely not running (I was really out of shape) but walking as fast as I could manage. I started increasing the speed as it got easier and easier for me and then started adding other work-outs like fitness blender (free on youtube) or yoga. Now I work out at least an hour 5 days per week, and I also try to take my kids out on walks when it's warm enough. My work-outs are super intense now (like dripping with sweat!) compared to just easy walks on the treadmill in the beginning.
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    30 minutes 6 days a week. I'm doing a Jillian Michaels program, I do circuit training 4 times a week and cardio 2 times a week. If your worried though just start out small. 30 minutes is a good start, I love doing 30 minutes a day.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I used to daily until some annoying news.

Trying to get back into the groove but my knee was a problem for a while, as well.

Slowly but surely.. Choochooo!!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I alternate cycling and running, usually 30-60 minutes, bit more on the cycling, with a day or two off a week.