Is it true that cheat day...?

Options
A question..
It is really a question, not a claim :) There are people here much more informed than me, so I ask.

Sometimes someone tell me that, if you on average have meals of, say, 300-400-500 cals each, your stomach kind of expect the same amount every time.
And if, for once, you give it, say, 2000 all in one go, it will not be able to process and assimilate all that food, and much of it will, well, go in poo.

Is this information completely false? Is it just a hope? Is it a justification for those people to binge?

Thank you.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is true.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh god I wish that were true! If it were I would be thin!

Basically, whatever your maintenance calorie level is, if you go over this then unfortunately you will put on weight. If you stay level at the amount of calories you consume as to what you are burning, you'll maintain your weight and if you eat less than what you burn you will lose weight.

It doesn't really matter if you eat over maintenance calories a bit each day, or eat at a deficit each day and then push yourself over the deficit with a "cheat meal". You'll put on weight either way sadly.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound right.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it's false. However, many people have success despite having a cheat day. If you find yourself having trouble sticking to your caloric goal because you can't give up certain foods, that's when cheat days come in handy. It's a lot easier to say no 6 days a week and not feel deprived if you know that on that 7th day you can order a pizza and have a cupcake. I would still not go to crazy on cheat day, but allowing yourself your favorite foods once a week does make it easier to be good the rest of the time.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    False.
    Although you may feel bloated if you are not used to eating a large amount of food in one sitting (the stomach can expand quite a bit, and will contract once the food has been digested).
  • EvanElric
    EvanElric Posts: 34
    Options
    :laugh: No.

But if you eat low fat/low calories all week, and then have a cheat MEAL fairly high in fat, that could move things along in the bathroom which is always a plus (:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are pretty efficient at extracting energy from the food we eat.

It is pretty amazing actually.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    :laugh: No.

But if you eat low fat/low calories all week, and then have a cheat MEAL fairly high in fat, that could move things along in the bathroom which is always a plus (:

Hahahahah!!!
    I'll keep this in mind :)
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    Very minimal calories are lost through bowel movements, hence why laxatives help you lose water but not fat. Stools are made up of bacteria, waste, water and anything unabsorbed such as fibre. If you have a bout of diarrhea after a large meal, it's likely you will lose most of the vitamins, minerals and water from the food but not the calories.