Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • lookthinfeelfat
    Options
    Well thank you everyone for your opinions :) just some info I am eating 1500 -1700 cals a day and eating back all exercise calories which average about 200-300 a day. 5 days out of 7. I'm not starving myself. My binges are about 1000cals in one sitting, every few days. Secondly I am responsible for what I buy, and eat and I'm not blaming mfp! although I can see how some people thought that. It's good to see a mix of responses, some people sharing similar thought patterns, others with solutions. This is the motivation and support section of the forum and I feel I have def got that from some responses. I'm still not sure where to go from here! But thanks
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    MFP is not the problem. It sounds like it is time to reflect on your own behaviors.
  • lookthinfeelfat
    Options
    Just to clarify- I'm not saying mfp is the problem! I know it's me, I was wondering if this tool effected other peoples behaviours and thoughts, feelings over food/body/image. Tbh. It's not a black or white subject really. It's not the same for everyone of course I'm seeking out people who shared a similar experience not passing on blame.

Also just to clarify I am 1.58 tall and about 103-105lbs depending, active day job , naturally lean. When I say I eat back my exercise cals I mean I will end up eating 1500 plus 2-300 more. I'm not obsessive about going into the red by 100-150 cals. I know I'm vain, I've admitted it already. Can't imagine a doc would really be interested, it's not cancer! I do read -about nutrition etc I do eat healthily nearly every day but I have these binges and it's that bit I don't understand .
  • LuvonLuv
    LuvonLuv Posts: 68
    Options
    This question made me examine myself. I would've said that mfp made me more "aware" of my eating and exercise habits. But after self-examination, I believe that I have become "obsessed" since using mfp. I think it's especially those charts...I check my weight graph daily to see the trends. But while "obsessed" I am....I like having this tool keeping me in check with myself. I think if I did not use it, I would not be able to monitor myself properly.

Besides, the encouragement I get from reading various posts is something great. I'd rather use it than go back to where I was before. Binge eating...I can't say that I've experienced that...but I do reward myself for my hard work.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify- I'm not saying mfp is the problem! I know it's me, I was wondering if this tool effected other peoples behaviours and thoughts, feelings over food/body/image. Tbh. It's not a black or white subject really. It's not the same for everyone of course I'm seeking out people who shared a similar experience not passing on blame.

Also just to clarify I am 1.58 tall and about 103-105lbs depending, active day job , naturally lean. When I say I eat back my exercise cals I mean I will end up eating 1500 plus 2-300 more. I'm not obsessive about going into the red by 100-150 cals. I know I'm vain, I've admitted it already. Can't imagine a doc would really be interested, it's not cancer! I do read -about nutrition etc I do eat healthily nearly every day but I have these binges and it's that bit I don't understand .

well maybe your body is lacking something important that you arent giving it. it would be easier if people could look at your diary.

also: i had a little peanutbutter issue the other day ;) so i realised my body was craving things and so adjusted my goals. lowered carbs, upped fat and now there is a place for peanutbutter in my diary and i feel much better.
  • LuvonLuv
    LuvonLuv Posts: 68
    Options
    Just to clarify- I'm not saying mfp is the problem! I know it's me, I was wondering if this tool effected other peoples behaviours and thoughts, feelings over food/body/image.

So my straight answer would be: YES
  • lookthinfeelfat
    Options
    And I hit 50carb 20 protein and 30 fat 99.% of the time, binges included! I eat 5-10 portions of fruit and veg everyday and have been taking multi vits for years- so it's not through an unhealthy diet or purging.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's MFP causing your binging. I'm pretty sure it's your very low, borderline unhealthy weight that's causing your binging. Your body is fighting for survival.

tumblr_m6wksyc3Ky1qihztbo1_500.gif
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes, this tool has totally affected me in both good and bad ways. It has taught me a lot about health, nutrition, proper foods, sustainable life style, etc. It has made me crazy obsessive about my food choices. Ups and down, goods and bads, pro's and cons. I think it is a helpful tool and can be dangerous as well. I never felt the urge to binge until I decided to restrict my calories down to 1000 a day, which worked for a while then I had to bump them to 1100, now they are at 1200 which is still restrictive for me and I do feel the urge to binge at night, but I don't and I won't. I love my weight loss, I love seeing the scale go down, I love hitting my calories and macros, I love exercise, I love knowing about food, I love tracking and knowing exactly where I am at at any given moment.

Sometimes I think "yeah... it would be nice to just give it all up and be "normal" again" But what is normal? I was happy and unhealthy back then, I didn't not have a bad body image ever and I still don't but I have to say that I prefer to be skinny, fit, have muscles, etc.

I can tell you that what you are feeling will pass... this is all a journey and as you progress you'll figure it out and get it all under control one way or the other. Things will normal out.
  • lookthinfeelfat
    Options
    For those who think I'm 'starving' ;) i think I'm pretty normal for my height . I've added a profile pic
  • lookthinfeelfat
    Options
    Cushman- Thank you so much for this post. It's very soothing and reassuring - I hope that over the course of time it will settle down. I can't limit my calories, not that I want to really but not do I want to put on weight either but I have to eat because I have a physical job and I'm self employed and have to eat to earn! But thank you for your soft touch. :)
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a separate account for logging but after another binge I feel I want to explore if any one else has found mfp at first a blessing and then a curse?!
    I honestly don't remember ever binge eating until I started mfp 3 months ago. I was obsessed with diet before but using mfp has only made me focus on it more! Now I did want and do want to lose a few vanity pounds, my bmi wavers between 18.5-19. When I started mfp got to my goal weight, which was bmi 18.5 and my god I felt fab and looked amazing. But. It was not really sustainable.It was really hard work. Anyway I don't want to ramble on with me me me, I'm wondering if people consider giving up mfp just to get on with their lives more easily.
    I totally concur. I had never experienced binges until I joined MFP. However, I'm of the opinion that the problem was down to me setting a target weight that was just too low for me to maintain. Although in theory this new weight band did not push me into under-weight territory, I just felt frequently drained and would often consume huge amounts of sugary foods late in the evening. Recently I have been deliberately gaining some pounds and my maintenance target weight has increased from about 123 to 128lbs. So far this figure has been much easier to stick with and as of today no further binges have occurred.
  • lookthinfeelfat
    Options
    That's really interesting. Before mfp I just ate when I was hungry. I never called it a binge. I think it's seeing the numbers that make me think it is a binge. I guess me weighing more would take me from my 'vanity' goal but I guess someone would jump I here and say 'do weights!' And it's not about the numbers after all. Thanks for that little insight . Things are becoming a little clearer ... It's probably 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as to what is going on but this helped. Thank you :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MFP is only a tool, and it is a tool that can help develop both healthy and unhealthy habits.

You need to evaluate whether or not it is the right tool for you.

this. It's JUST a tool.

It sounds more like you need some structured training rather than weight loss- that may help you get some focus and shift away from the hard numbers.
  • amynoelhall1
    amynoelhall1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying.

I have noticed that I will go for a while eating well and exercising, and then I seem to rebel big time. I know it's my own issue, but my head just won't let me be so perfect and controlled all the time. It had helped to just accept that about myself. If I acknowledge it, it seems to shorten the rebellious phase.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I feel like not enough attention is being drawn to trying to find out what exactly is the cause of "binge" eating.

We're about the same height (sort of, I'm just shy of 5'4'') yet I weigh 122 lbs and I eat less calories in a day than you do and I also exercise about 4 times a week, but rarely do I ever binge. And to be honest, I wouldn't call what I do binging (really just my bf and I going out and buying a bag of candy or chips on a Saturday night. That's not me going crazy and eating thousands of extra calories, it's just one "free" night).

There's a chance that some people are right. Maybe your body is craving some other nutrient that you're either not giving to it at all, or you're not giving enough. For example, I NEED protein in every meal or else I will be so hungry 2 - 3 hours later.

But at the same time maybe that's not your issue. I've found that MFP has made me realize that I can get a bit OCD about certain things and I become too focused on them, like with tracking my exercise. There are days where I force myself not to exercise because I need to reaffirm that taking a couple rest days is good for my body and that it won't kill me or make me gain weight. It's very hard but I recognize that I have a problem and I am trying my best to be proactive about it.

Perhaps you have a similar issue. Maybe tracking what you eat so rigorously has triggered a more obsessive part of you and you become so focused while you're doing it but then at the same time you feel so guilty about it because you know that you shouldn't be that way so your brain is telling you to "eat more eat more eat more" so you just go and do it.
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    For those who think I'm 'starving' ;) i think I'm pretty normal for my height . I've added a profile pic

If you're anything like me, ignore these people. I've had the same types of things said about me. We are petite women, and our small body frames allow us to weigh less than the average woman and that sometimes puts us int he "underweight" category even though we are like that naturally. Some people just like to assume things about us. As for your actual issue, OP, I might suggest something as simple as not going into the forums anymore. There's so much talk in there about bingeing, how much people ate during their binge, what they're craving, etc. It can make me crave food sometimes to read those threads, so I just stopped.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I never struggled with binge eating until I started using MFP either. Yes, I had times where I would overeat (that's how I got here!) but never before did I deliberately go out of my way to buy thousands of calories worth of food to then eat in one sitting.

I don't know why it happened; maybe it's the 'all or nothing' logic that MFP seems to give us. As soon as you see the red you think "*kitten* it" for the day and try and make the most of it, eating everything you could possibly be craving, before going back to sticking to the green and the deficit.

I'm not logging anymore, and just using MFP for the social side of things.

Perhaps you should have a plan on what do you when you see that red line that is more constructive--like take a walk, or bike, or some other enjoyable exercise. In the long run that would be more conducive to getting into shape and feeling good about yourself.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

If you're anything like me, ignore these people. I've had the same types of things said about me. We are petite women, and our small body frames allow us to weigh less than the average woman and that sometimes puts us int he "underweight" category even though we are like that naturally. Some people just like to assume things about us. As for your actual issue, OP, I might suggest something as simple as not going into the forums anymore. There's so much talk in there about bingeing, how much people ate during their binge, what they're craving, etc. It can make me crave food sometimes to read those threads, so I just stopped.
    So is the I'm 'petit' the same way some people are 'big boned' sounds like that river in Egypt again to me