What should I get- HRM Or New Shoes?

Options
I would LOVE to get a HRM to keep better track of my calories, but I am in dire need of some good shoes. (Could use some reccomedations from you guys- something that would last a while and feel comfy. -not shape up- I think a HRM would be more of luxary where the shoes I have now is falling apart. I want to have both, but cannot afford it. :frown:

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Definately new shoes, it will reduce impact on your body and lessen the chance of injury.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Shoes...especially if you they will keep you exercising. What good is a HRM if ya ain't exercising?
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    New shoes are always a priority when yours need to be replaced. I would much rather be able to work out injury free than get a HRM that I can't really use because I am in pain when exercising.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Shoes. I'm a huge believer in taking good care of your feet and joints with good shoes.

I have two pair...one for the 3 miles/day that I walk. They are New Balance WR759CS running shoes (though I don't run much) and I get them from a local running store who fits me each time I go. We look at the wear patterns on the shoes I wore for the previous 7-8 months and rethink what works best for my arch, width and footfall pattern.

My current pair of fitness shoes (which I wear for lifting weights and aerobic type workouts that require good lateral support in my shoes) are Asics Gel-Antares. I've only had them for 2 weeks, but thus far, they are my favorite pair of fitness shoes that I've purchased in the past 2 years.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also just a note I finally broke down and bought a HRM and I got it on ebay for almost half of what I would have paid in stores and it is brand new. Check e-bay, maybe find one that is affordable but doesn't have ALL the bells and whistles and that way you have HRM and you can upgrade later.

Just a side note
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely new shoes! They're more important for exercise than an HRM!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Yep..shoes would be a wise purchase, Any good ideas to get for shoes? Brand?
  • Fat2FitArmyWifey
    Options
    Definitely new shoes girl! :happy:
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    shoes!! if you dont take care of your feet you cant exercise!! :-)

I recommend the KSwiss Tubes...they are super comfy and I have the cute black/gray/pink ones! Just got them for Christmas but i've been wearing them every day!
  • husstler
    husstler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely shoes and I highly recommend getting fitted at a local running store to determine your foot type and the best type of shoe for you. You can pay a lot for a top of the line shoe but if it doesn't have the correct support or flexibility for your needs you may as well have bought something off the racks from Target. Worse than that, you may injure yourself. It's a really important investment.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the stores where you live, but I really like going to the running stores in my area where they really know what they are talking about and can make great recommendations. It might be worth checking out. And, I have found that they are just as willing to provide advice on shoes that they don't sell. Their advice and guidance is well worth the trip.

--Carter
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    Shoes for sure. Most Ppl myself included dont replace shoes as needed. The support aspects of shoes break down long before they start to fall apart. I too would like HRM and new shoes. Glad to see you back btw.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,411 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters-get the shoes and go to a good running store to get fitted-EVEN IF YOU DON'T RUN. You can give them your price range, they'll watch how you walk/run and give you good recommendations and a better fit than just going to sports authority or the mall.