Going vegan and maintaining protein intake.

Options

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Reality time:

If you don't WANT to go vegan, you won't stick to it - no matter how much anyone tells you you "need" it. If you truly WANT to try veganism, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Very simple.

Honestly, add coconut oil, chia seeds, and any other medium chain fatty acid containing foods to your diet and watch your cholesterol drop.
    Coconut oil increases cholesterol HDL and increases the amount of cholesterol that is contained in the LDL lipoproteins when it's used to replace carbs or other unsaturated fats. So basically cho levels go up.

study please.
    No. Look for yourself simply because most of your advice is from the hip and your really don't know a lot about this subject at all based on previous posts, and your the ones that saying that coconut oil will drop cholesterol levels so why not post a few studies that show that.

it raises HDL which is the good stuff. and i'm sorry, but if i need studies when i make assertions I believe to be true, then so does everyone else. otherwise I'll just refuse from now on - which would make me immensely happy.
    I guess it was when your post started with "reality time" that's when I felt compelled once again to correct some misinformation. Maybe research a subject from all angles before making belief statements, Which will also reduce confusion and my post count.:smile:

huh. clearly reading comprehension isn't a strong suit. to me, "reality time" was referring to the first thought, while the second was a completely different idea. but apologies if that was unclear to you sweetums.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Your physician told you to go vegan?

This is exactly my response.
    Yeah, that does show a bias that may not have much to do with science.

sounds to me like he's a doctor who explores options other than drugs first - which to me - makes for a very GOOD doctor.
    If he was fully versed in cholesterol, then removing animal proteins and fat wouldn't have been on the table to begin with simply because it isn't negatively associated with heart disease or cholesterol and a cardiologist will have those journals that go back decades handy......and if one believes they don't exist, then as a patient, your in trouble.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Reality time:

If you don't WANT to go vegan, you won't stick to it - no matter how much anyone tells you you "need" it. If you truly WANT to try veganism, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Very simple.

Honestly, add coconut oil, chia seeds, and any other medium chain fatty acid containing foods to your diet and watch your cholesterol drop.
    Coconut oil increases cholesterol HDL and increases the amount of cholesterol that is contained in the LDL lipoproteins when it's used to replace carbs or other unsaturated fats. So basically cho levels go up.

study please.
    No. Look for yourself simply because most of your advice is from the hip and your really don't know a lot about this subject at all based on previous posts, and your the ones that saying that coconut oil will drop cholesterol levels so why not post a few studies that show that.

it raises HDL which is the good stuff. and i'm sorry, but if i need studies when i make assertions I believe to be true, then so does everyone else. otherwise I'll just refuse from now on - which would make me immensely happy.
    I guess it was when your post started with "reality time" that's when I felt compelled once again to correct some misinformation. Maybe research a subject from all angles before making belief statements, Which will also reduce confusion and my post count.:smile:

huh. clearly reading comprehension isn't a strong suit. to me, "reality time" was referring to the first thought, while the second was a completely different idea. but apologies if that was unclear to you sweetums.
    Well of course you meant that, my mistake, again.:wink:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I forgot about wheat gluten. If you don't have to avoid it, it's a fabulous protein source.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend if you like. I have been a great vegetarian, horrible vegetarian, great vegan, and now I'm somewhere in between. I am trying to cut the animal products out again, but with the loosing weight/workout schedule, I am keeping things like eggs and processed meat products in the house until I have a schedule nailed down. In my mind, its better to not be a complete vegan than binge on pasta.

For your question, I would try and incorporate protein for every meal. I add beans to salads, have bean based dinners, and tofu scrambles for breakfast. Quinoa and lentils have complete amino acid profiles but it shouldn't matter as long as you are eating a variety of food. Nuts and seeds are a very important part of the vegan diet, so always try and get 1-2oz a day. If you don't add them to food, mix up a green smoothie and add some ground flaxseed or chia seeds for your omegas.

Right now I really like the simply green smoothies website and the Eat to Live book. I don't think you need to go too extreme, just find 5 good meals that work for you and balance protein/carbs/fat for every meal. I am slowly doing the same and working on cooking one new thing a week to see if I can add it to my base of foods.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You should try eliminating dairy and switching to egg whites for a while first and see if that helps before completely changing your lifestyle. Vegan is a lifestyle - it's not easy for a meat eater to go cold-vegan. I have a friend who is genetically predisposed to very high cholesterol (she is in amazing shape) and she doesn't eat dairy or if she does it's just a touch and she eats little to no meat - usually no meat other than fish which she still eats. She brought her cholesterol down from it being very high without meds. I eat a lot of eggs and switching to egg whites eliminates that cholesterol.

See if you can find a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) who takes your insurance and try seeing that Dr. for a physical and advice - they may be able to provide a less drastic path to wellness for you.
  • vegan_roadrunner
    Options
    Since going vegan I have found that I need to eat a lot bigger portions. It's not necessarily hard to find the right foods, but making sure you eat enough of them. Someone recommended that I start blending beans into shakes, breakfast oats, curries etc. I cook a big batch of plain beans at the beginning of the week and then put a cup into a couple of meals per day. I also use natural hemp protein - Good Shake. If you're still struggling, the PPK forum is a good place to get recipe ideas and advice on a vegan diet.

Here's a couple of articles I found just from Googling now - there is heaps of info out there if you look :)

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/the-worlds-best-vegetarian-protein-sources
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4771/10-Vegan-Sources-of-Protein.html
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/
    http://chopd.co.uk/sources-of-non-meat-protein/
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    my friend went vegan and noticed major health benefits right away like the clearing of her acne and stuff.

However, she didn't lose weight because of it. As someone else has mentioned, just because you go vegan it doesn't give you the ability to eat all the fries and ramen that you want.

I'm surprised he recommended veganism as your diet looks pretty good. Maybe fish instead of chicken could have done the job.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your physician told you to go vegan?

I believe the current medical consensus is that for a minority of people dietary cholesterol can raise the level of cholesterol in the blood. Saying "Go Vegan" is basically saying that as a first step he should eliminate all dietary cholesterol to see if he is one of those people. If not, then the other options are still out there. It is a big lifestyle change to ask of someone, but if a patient says they have been very disciplined about their diet and exercise and there are some results to back that up it seems like that is the kind of person who might be able to stick pretty closely to a vegan diet for a while. Nothing to lose in throwing it out as a suggestion. Somebody who comes in at 350 pounds and gaining and hasn't walked a mile in years? Err, different case and different advice.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cholesterol-food
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the documentary "Forks over knives"? It has a lot of really interesting information from a 30 year study called "The China Study" and is basically the study results in an interesting form. The study was undertaken independently by two doctors who then put their findings together. They weren't funded by any commercial interests like Dr. Oz who sells and promotes products through his show and the corporate sponsors.

Do you have any idea how much money the cattle, dairy, and pork producers spend every day to discredit vegetarianism and veganism? It's huge. That's their profit, their livelihood, and they're going to defend it no matter how many people die or become diseased as a result. And people who are unfamiliar with plant based diets or don't want to change their eating styles get very agitated when anyone seems to suggest that there is another way to be healthy. I don't understand it but I see it on these message boards frequently.

And don't worry so much about protein. Studies have found that too much protein is cancer promoting (China Study, Engine 2 Diet, etc.). Americans are so protein crazed that we get way too much! I look to University peer reviewed, published scholarly studies, not opinions of people that feel they have an axe to grind as far as eating animals foods goes. Personally, I don't care what anyone else eats, I eat for my health, not for theirs. But mention anything about veganism on any board and everyone becomes an expert. Even doctors aren't experts because many of the studies that have linked meat and dairy to disease have become conclusive and published in the last 10 years, and doctors routinely receive only 1-2 hours of nutrition training in medical school.

Best of luck with your health and eating choices.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the documentary "Forks over knives"? It has a lot of really interesting information from a 30 year study called "The China Study" and is basically the study results in an interesting form. The study was undertaken independently by two doctors who then put their findings together. They weren't funded by any commercial interests like Dr. Oz who sells and promotes products through his show and the corporate sponsors.

The "China Study" is debunked cherry-picked BS. It's not an actual study, despite the name. It's a mass-market book, not peer-reviewed science.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    OP, it certainly seems worth a try if your doctor thinks it can allow you to avoid going on cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Since you're doing this for health reasons, you probably don't need to go 100% vegan. If the point of your doctor's advice is to get animal fats out of your diet and greatly reduced saturated fats, you should still be able to have nonfat dairy. I don't use protein powders, but you might check the labels on your powder and see if it has any animal fat in it.

As you go through this six-month process and beyond, you might want to look into research on the specifics of vegetarian and vegan diets that are associated with improved cholesterol, because there are all kinds of ways of eating after you've eliminated animal products, and not all of them have any demonstrated association with improved blood cholesterol readings. I think focusing more on eating the things that will help, rather than eliminating animal products, would be more helpful. For example, your doctor's advice sounds like it has you eliminating fish as well as red meat and poultry, but fish with high omega-3s can improve your cholesterol profile.

I'm sure you can find lots of good books out there; I'll just mention one that I've found helpful, which is "Cholesterol Down" by Julie Bond Brill. She has a list of about 10 specific recommendations of foods or categories of foods (it's possible two of the recommendations are "lose weight" and "get exercise," so maybe only 8 foods) that have been shown to lead to cholesterol (LDL) reduction (e.g., she'll recount study results that show the results of getting higher levels of soluble fiber, then she'll recommend specific foods, such as oats and barley, that will get you there -- other categories include flax, walnut, almonds for more omega-3s, soy protein, beans in general, garlic, etc.). I wish she had more information more on boosting HDL, since that's more of an issue for me than my LDL, but no book is perfect. (If anybody knows of a book with a similar "eat-more-of-this" approach on HDL, I'd love to know about it.)

BTW, I'm not vegan myself, but about a third of my meals are vegan, and about three-quarter of my meals are vegetarian or vegan. The remainder of my meals include fish, poultry, or meat. To be honest, I do frequently find myself low on protein on days that are completely vegan, but not always. Just yesterday I had a vegan salad for lunch that felt like it was mostly kale (but it also had some quinoa, tempeh, and sunflower seeds), and it had 39 grams of protein. I don't know what your daily goals are, but for me that's a bit more than half of my minimum goal for the day in one meal (I usually have three meals plus snacks), so that was good.

Best of luck. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a genetic disposition that can't be managed without meds, but even if you need meds, there's a good chance that good food choices, weight loss, and exercise can help you get by with lower doses.
  • BigWhompy
    BigWhompy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OP: Sorry to see you've been caught in a good old fashioned vegan vs. paleo flame war. Worst place to be.

I lost 80 pounds while eating vegan for a year. During that time, my cholesterol went down 40 points and the drop occurred almost entirely in the LDL portion of that number. My blood pressure has decreased from 135/85 ON medication to 125/75 OFF medication. I have since gained back a bit of weight because I landed an awesome job that unfortunately is all-consuming and requires me to be much more sedentary than I'd like to be, and I've also slipped a bit in terms of the specifics of what I eat (processed foods have crept back in, as they so often do). However, I'm learning to integrate exercise effectively with my new schedule and I'm tightening my diet back up, so the weight I've gained back is starting to drop off again. No worries.

Anyway, here is my advice: avoid processed food at all costs. Eat whole, fresh, and locally sourced food and eat a lot of it! Forgot the fake meat and focus on beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, edamame, leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, all kinds of vegetables, fruit, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, etc. Choose organic whenever possible. If you're going to eat soy products, stick to tempeh and tofu. Especially tempeh, as it's less processed than tofu, contains more protein and fiber, and is more easily digestible due to the fermentation process. I suggest cutting the standard tempeh brick into thin "filets", steaming them for ten minutes, and then caramelizing them in a skillet with a tiny bit of hazelnut oil and a light glaze (little bit of agave works great). The bottom line is that if you're going to go vegan, eat a lot of whole plant food and eat a variety to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.

As a previous poster so cleverly suggested, you will notice an increase in gas on this eating plan -- mostly for the first couple weeks. However, once everything settles down, you will become so fantastically regular that you'll never look back. Seriously, it's like having your own personal poop fairy. Mine shows up every morning at 7:30 and politely guides me to the bathroom, where I enjoy a stress free bowel movement and then I'm totally done with pooping for the day. People ask me if I miss eating buffalo chicken and I'm like, "About as much as I miss having fiery, explosive poomergencies at inopportune times."

I'm no longer strictly vegan -- I've added in a couple eggs per week, healthy fish like salmon once a week, and real butter in place of earth balance type stuff (I only use it very occasionally anyway, so might as well have something that isn't highly processed). I'm still entirely plant-based most days and it's the way I prefer to eat -- the few animal products I've added are mostly for the sake of variety and also enjoying things that are part of my family's heritage, which is a factor that so many people overlook when committing to strict diets and I think that's inherently unhealthy. If there's an animal product that's really important to you and your family, don't feel bad for eating it on occasion.

I've obsessed over nutrition studies and read all the books and watched all the videos. I think there's truth to both sides in the plant-based vs paleo/anti-grains debate, but both sides tend to overlook glaring truths that cut into their respective arguments. For instance, there's the fact that triglycerides are raised by diets high in processed carbohydrates. Vegans who eat vegan junk food are not eating a healthy diet. There's also the fact that animal protein and animal fat may not be linked to cardiovascular disease to the extent previously believed, but there is evidence linking meat consumption to cancer, especially if the meat is grilled or otherwise exposed to high heat, and/or when the meat is highly processed (bacon, lunch meats, any meat product that comes in log form, etc.). Just being near grilled meat and breathing in the smoke is hazardous to your health. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-fumes-dietary-secondhand-smoke/

Whatever you decide to eat -- meat, vegetables, fruit, whatever -- stick to unprocessed, organic, and locally sourced whenever possible.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to get into a pissing contest, but I love it when someone says "well that's been debunked" and leaves no citations or source materials. Here's further information if you want to educate yourself further. The China Study "debunked" website (and BTW anyone can start a website) has also been "debunked" by such scholarly sites as "30 Bananas a day" but that's not the point. The Paleo folks have tried to debunk the study before, not sure if that's who you're referring to. But the Paleo diet was written by an English major (Denise Minger), while the China study was a Medical (Doctors) scholarly study. Even if you don't want to ascribe to that particular study, there are other studies that support the vegan diet which were accomplished at Universities such as Harvard, Vanderbilt, NYU, and NIH. Even some of the debunkers fundamentally agree with Campbell's assertions, just not with the way the data was used in the final product. And a number of the debunkers have potential profit motive or diet empire to defend.

Here's some information from Cornell University about the project that the book was written about and includes the scientific justification: http://web.archive.org/web/20090223222003/http://www.nutrition.cornell.edu/ChinaProject/#Scientific

Here's further information about the study and those who have "debunked it" including an examination of the study. It is part 1 of two parts. http://www.richroll.com/podcast/rrp-79-t-colin-campbell-china-study-critics-plant-based-nutrition-prevent-reverse-disease/

Bottom line, if you're going to educate yourself, or try to educate others, please do some homework. Personally, again, I don't care if you eat paleo, Adkins, something in between, or vegan...but at least make an informed choice.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    . . .by such scholarly sites as "30 Bananas a day". . .

Just making sure this gem doesn't go unnoticed.

:laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    . . .by such scholarly sites as "30 Bananas a day". . .

Just making sure this gem doesn't go unnoticed.

:laugh:

That's solid gold and says everything that needs to be said about that post.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It struck me as a joke? The point being don't rely on random websites?
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    so if you have a cardiologist, why isn't that the doctor doing the tests?

specifically bc you said you were "doing everything right" is why the cardiologist (who has years of studying lipids) needs to be the one doing and reading your tests - not a pcp... AND the reason you need these tests themselves. the cardio tests are VERY different from stuff at a physical. i'm not going to repeat the rest of my previous post...

feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the great suggestions of protein, try Vega One protein powder. It's plant based, has added vegetables and is vegan. Tastes good too. They have a whole line of products.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid all animal products to lower your cholesterol. I hit 160g. or more of protein everyday and more than 1/2 of that comes from plant base protein. You only have about 28g. of fiber in your diary. Eat more complex carbs to bring your fiber up and that will help with the cholesterol. A complex carb is 2g. of fiber for every 100 calories. Fiber in itself is a carb but the body cant digest it or convert it to sugar. It passes through the digestive track and lowers your cholesterol. The body burns 7 cal. per gram of fiber trying to digest it. So eat your beans and lentils and veggies along with lean meats like fish, chicken etc. Dont be afraid of the extra carbs. Your actual carb intake will be carbohydrates minus fiber grams = net carbs.