Looking for 1200 calorie eaters

Options

Replies

• lavenderamethyst
    Options
    Don't get defensive. The majority of the people around here eating only 1200 calories or under have no reason to be eating that little. And the majority of the ones claiming they are eating 1200 calories and are not losing weight are eating more than they think.

How on earth would you know?
    Strong first post. Care to add any substance to your words? Maybe adding what you think and why you think I'm wrong.

I asked you a question. How on earth do you know what you're claiming? How. Would. You. Know.

Don't deflect.
  • kweatherford9
    kweatherford9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am right around 1200 with a public diary. Feel free to add me I am looking for some supportive friends. And also people that will comment on areas that I need to improve
  • Kejeco1970
    Kejeco1970 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm generally right around there...if I don't drink beer. I haven't been logging for very long though. Feel free to add me.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    you can add me if you'd like :) I'm a 1200 calorie "cheat" though lol. I log 1200 food calories but I don't add my liquid calories (unless it's a specialty drink)
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    Don't get defensive. The majority of the people around here eating only 1200 calories or under have no reason to be eating that little. And the majority of the ones claiming they are eating 1200 calories and are not losing weight are eating more than they think.

How on earth would you know?
    Strong first post. Care to add any substance to your words? Maybe adding what you think and why you think I'm wrong.

I asked you a question. How on earth do you know what you're claiming? How. Would. You. Know.

Don't deflect.

You're must be new here, it's cute.

Stick around you'll understand a little more about the black and whites and gray areas of health, fitness and weight loss. We can have a more in depth conversation at that time without allowing emotions to skew the thought process.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh breathe ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you guys make me laugh. He read the post title and decided to join anyway. Love the forums!
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well that depends, I am a 1200 calorie eater but I do eat back what I burn during exercise, which brings me closer to 2k, really (I do have a hard time giving up on beer). I eat around 1800 most days and have been loosing consistently about a pound a week.+

1.5 hr workout 6 days a week + I do a 3 mile continous climb on my bike almost daily, if the weather allows.

I think most people are freaking out about the 1.2k calorie thing because most people dont eat back what they shred with exercise which does give you a net calorie intake of about 500-700 which IS really really low ...
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Im a 1200 calorie eater. I'm always looking for ideas on how to stretch my 1200 calories, it sure seems they add up fast. I have been doing 1200 since the last week in February and I have lost almost every week. You can add me as a friend if you would like.

I find it becomes easier when you eat veggies with your meals and don't focus so much on carbs. I still eat carbs and I'm not on a low carb diet per say but I control my carb portions because the calories add up quickly. I also watch portions for proteins but I'm less strict on them. I prefer to bulk up my plate with veggies and have my protein. Protein is crucial for aiding in muscle retention while losing weight. So for example if I eat quinoa or rice I'll stick with 1/2 cup serving which would be about 100 calories. I create my main meals in a way that I don't go over 300 calories. This is easy to do again if you bulk your plates with veggies to accompany your meats and carbs. The rest of the calories are for snacks in between. Having snacks helps a lot.

You guys can add me if you like. I keep my diary open only to friends.

To those who say 1200 calories is not enough you are not sitting down gathering the persons bio to determine whether due to their size, weight, age, body composition (fat vs lean mass) , thyroid issues, etc into the TDEE calculation. If you don't know a person's history or bio please don't give out caloric advice. Geez....Humans are not created in a cookie cutter.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    To those who say 1200 calories is not enough you are not sitting down gathering the persons bio to determine whether due to their size, weight, age, body composition (fat vs lean mass) , thyroid issues, etc into the TDEE calculation. If you don't know a person's history or bio please don't give out caloric advice. Geez....Humans are not created in a cookie cutter.

Read the OP's profile. She states she maintains on 1800 calories a day so she does not need to eat 1200 calories in order to lose.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Im a 1200 calorie eater. I'm always looking for ideas on how to stretch my 1200 calories, it sure seems they add up fast. I have been doing 1200 since the last week in February and I have lost almost every week. You can add me as a friend if you would like.

I find it becomes easier when you eat veggies with your meals and don't focus so much on carbs. I still eat carbs and I'm not on a low carb diet per say but I control my carb portions because the calories add up quickly. I also watch portions for proteins but I'm less strict on them. I prefer to bulk up my plate with veggies and have my protein. Protein is crucial for aiding in muscle retention while losing weight. So for example if I eat quinoa or rice I'll stick with 1/2 cup serving which would be about 100 calories. I create my main meals in a way that I don't go over 300 calories. This is easy to do again if you bulk your plates with veggies to accompany your meats and carbs. The rest of the calories are for snacks in between. Having snacks helps a lot.

You guys can add me if you like. I keep my diary open only to friends.

ah veggies are carbs...
    and at 1200 calories a day you can eat all protien and you will still lose muscle and have a host of other issues...esp as an average sized (or even small) adult woman...
    We may not be sitting but we do check diaries, profiles, amount to lose etc...
  • Juliane_
    Options
    Yes they are carbs...but they are non-starchy carbs.

I'm a small lady as well. I maintain at 1500 calories. According to my "trend" measurements I'm maintaining muscle and fat is going down. But this is not about me.

Smaller individuals have lower calorie needs. PERIOD. Like it or not...this is more so if you have a desk job. I suggest the OP disregards all this calorie advice from everyone, get herself a measurement of her body fat % and calculate her TDEE based on Katch-McArdle formula and get yourself a copy of Tom Venuto's Burn the fat feed the muscle or try to find it in the library. After you have your TDEE cut 20% and obtain the rest of your calorie deficit from exercise. If you lose weight great, if yo don't retweak until you find your sweet spot ok?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ah veggies are carbs...
    and at 1200 calories a day you can eat all protien and you will still lose muscle and have a host of other issues...esp as an average sized (or even small) adult woman...

You're only going to see a muscle loss due to your caloric deficit when you can't make-up the difference from your fat stores and it's generally pretty drastic once you cross that threshold. You'd have to be incredibly lean for 1200 net calories to cause your body to catabolize your muscles for energy. More likely, you'd just go hungry and fall off the wagon after a few weeks because you're sick of being hungry all the time.
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 as well! I haven't been logging great but just got back on track this week. And FYI, according to IIFYM, my maintenance is 1430 and TDEE minus 15% is 1216. I am sedentary (have an office job and commute 3 hours per day) and log my exercise (cardio only) and eat back my exercise calories...most of the time...
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So I don't exactly understand why this Topic has created an argument between posters. This girl was just looking for people with similar game plans to her, she wasn't looking to start a fight.

The fact of the matter is, whether we all agree or disagree with a person eating 1200 a day, we all have to concede that there are sometimes a lot of factors that we probably don't know about, depending on who has made a 1200 cal post. When someone posts this, perhaps they've already discussed their plans with their GP and they're aware of the amount of calories that they're eating. Maybe when they say 1200 what they mean is that's their net, so maybe they've eaten 1500 and worked off 300 calories. Who really knows.

I feel like MFP was meant to be positive and it's obvious that some of us are choosing to be negative and condescending towards one another and I think that's crap.

Second, I eat around that amount every day, when it comes to what I net. My goal calories are about 1335 but then I'll hop on the elliptical for 40 mins four days a week and I'll do some pilates and a bit of strength training. I have just seen my doctor and she tested my vitamin amount, my iron amount, everything, and I'm a perfectly healthy woman. There has been a negative stigma attached to the 1200 posts and everyone naturally assumes that they are sickly people who need help but that is not always the case. I will admit that there are certain times where a person should be eating far more than that, I know that, but sometimes, depending on the needs of a person and their body type, exercise program, etc., 1200 calories can be more than sufficient.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I'm a small lady as well. I maintain at 1500 calories. According to my "trend" measurements I'm maintaining muscle and fat is going down. But this is not about me.

Smaller individuals have lower calorie needs. PERIOD. Like it or not...this is more so if you have a desk job. I suggest the OP disregards all this calorie advice from everyone, get herself a measurement of her body fat % and calculate her TDEE based on Katch-McArdle formula and get yourself a copy of Tom Venuto's Burn the fat feed the muscle or try to find it in the library. After you have your TDEE cut 20% and obtain the rest of your calorie deficit from exercise. If you lose weight great, if yo don't retweak until you find your sweet spot ok?

Yah no..my "smaller" sister who is 5 ft 3 and weighs 123 maintains at a higher TDEE than I do...and she has a desk job.

Her TDEE is about 2300...mine is 2100...I am 4 inches taller and almost 30lbs heavier...

@meganMoroz if you notice I personally said feel free to look at my diary.....I may not be eating 1200 but that doesn't mean that there isn't food in there she wouldn't like...but what happens when I suggest maybe eating more because the goal should be to eat as much as you can and still lose weight...I got jumped on ...and not by the OP...

The negative stigma attached to 1200 is that it is the min reocmmended for women...why because at that low level you are just getting in the nutrients and vitamins you need as long as you are eating really great...and as well to be so restrictive typically leads to not being able to sustain it.

I personally have eaten 1200 calories and just cannot for the life of me figure out how people do it and work out...seriously...never mind not having enough room for treats and special meals ever.
  • Juliane_
    Options
    I'm at 1200 as well! I haven't been logging great but just got back on track this week. And FYI, according to IIFYM, my maintenance is 1430 and TDEE minus 15% is 1216. I am sedentary (have an office job and commute 3 hours per day) and log my exercise (cardio only) and eat back my exercise calories...most of the time...

THIS is very similar to what I do. I actually go a step further and ignore the net calorie stuff and configured my diary to give me calorie deficit based on the Olivia Method. I have a similar lifestyle with the desk job as well. I just hate it when people don't know the details of an individual's circumstances and start making assumptions that 1200 is inadequate. For some people, not the average population but for some people 1200 is it and depending on lifestyle maintenance calories can be higher or lower. I don't know a person's physical day to day lifestyle to start making assumptions.

Unless people come to a post with a calculator and the history behind an individual there should be no comment as to someone's calorie needs. The poster didn't even ask for calorie advice.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    ah veggies are carbs...

You're only going to see a muscle loss due to your caloric deficit when you can't make-up the difference from your fat stores and it's generally pretty drastic once you cross that threshold. You'd have to be incredibly lean for 1200 net calories to cause your body to catabolize your muscles for energy. More likely, you'd just go hungry and fall off the wagon after a few weeks because you're sick of being hungry all the time.

did you look at the OP's profile pic??? she is already very lean and only has about 7lbs to lose...this probably applies to her.
  • firestation12
    Options
    Anyone with open diaries who have or net around 1200 calories daily please add me ????

How can I add members?
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yah no..my "smaller" sister who is 5 ft 3 and weighs 123 maintains at a higher TDEE than I do...and she has a desk job.

Her TDEE is about 2300...mine is 2100...I am 4 inches taller and almost 30lbs heavier...

@meganMoroz if you notice I personally said feel free to look at my diary.....I may not be eating 1200 but that doesn't mean that there isn't food in there she wouldn't like...but what happens when I suggest maybe eating more because the goal should be to eat as much as you can and still lose weight...I got jumped on ...and not by the OP...

The negative stigma attached to 1200 is that it is the min reocmmended for women...why because at that low level you are just getting in the nutrients and vitamins you need as long as you are eating really great...and as well to be so restrictive typically leads to not being able to sustain it.

I personally have eaten 1200 calories and just cannot for the life of me figure out how people do it and work out...seriously...never mind not having enough room for treats and special meals ever.

Oh, it wasn't you I was really directing my comments towards, don't worry. And I completely get what you're saying. It's just I know from experience that eating around that has worked just fine for me so I understand why it works for some other women. Everyone's body is different and I know from my recent doctor's appointment where I had a complete physical (including blood work and a lovely urine test), that I'm not lacking in nutrients. That's all I was really trying to say.

For instance, I can't imagine eating the total number of calories that my body burns off by itself in a day. I've tried before and I just couldn't, I was way too full and felt disgusting. So I just try to eat what feels right. I make sure that I eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm full, and that happens to be around 1300 (not including exercising).