Scale Discrepancy

Options
The last time I was weighed by a doctor’s scale, about 3 weeks ago, I weighed 297. But when I got home, I weighed myself on the scale that I normally use, I was 285. That’s a huge difference, at least to me. I weighed myself on my home scale this morning and my weight was 278. What do you do when there is such a huge scale discrepancy between a doctor’s office and home scale? Should I get a new scale? This is frustrating since I am at the beginning of my weight loss. I would like a solid starting point, mainly for myself.

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    no scale is "right" - they may be more or less accurate in giving a trend especially depending on whether they are always put in hte same place, and you always weight at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes and after eating and drinking hte same in the preceding 4 hours or so.

What's really important it the trend of loss that you record, and for that the important thing is using one scale at fixed conditions

I know that my scales weight differently to the one at the doctors, but I also at home weight every morning undressed after going to the loo, whereas at the doctors i weight mid to late morning after breakfast wearing clothes
    but he uses that number for his record, the trend, in his record and in my record (using my scales is the same) and still progressing downward

i would sugest that changing your scales will just add confusion by giving you a third weight that will also be different
  • actioncomics1
    Options
    no scale is "right" - they may be more or less accurate in giving a trend especially depending on whether they are always put in hte same place, and you always weight at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes and after eating and drinking hte same in the preceding 4 hours or so.

What's really important it the trend of loss that you record, and for that the important thing is using one scale at fixed conditions

I know that my scales weight differently to the one at the doctors, but I also at home weight every morning undressed after going to the loo, whereas at the doctors i weight mid to late morning after breakfast wearing clothes
    but he uses that number for his record, the trend, in his record and in my record (using my scales is the same) and still progressing downward

i would sugest that changing your scales will just add confusion by giving you a third weight that will also be different
    this
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

All of this. It may help to wear the same outfit to the doctor's office next time you go that way you are consistent. If you have a battery powered scale at home, change the batteries. They tend to lose accuracy as the batteries get old.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Were the weigh-ins otherwise the same? I assume you were fully dressed for the doctor office, maybe even wearing shoes. Had you eaten or had anything to drink shortly before? Those details could account for 5 pounds or more easily, and then a few more for different calibration in the scales themselves.

If you're not sure your home scale is working properly it wouldn't hurt to get a new one and count your first weigh in on it as your starting point. Or first try replacing the batteries. Beyond that, measure your weigh ins by being consistent. For me, its in the morning before I get in the shower/after I use the bathroom.
  • ProfRiverSong
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...I do feel like how my clothes fit and how I feel are more important than the number on the scale. I will keep track using my home scale...I need to be able to tell my dr if I lose a certain amount so he can adjust my thyroid meds. :wink:
  • BahamaMama85
    BahamaMama85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I put 10lb, 20lb, 30lb weights on my scale at home every so often in different combinations to make sure I'm getting a correct reading.

If I use a scale someplace else I take the number with a pinch of salt :)
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself at home, completely naked, after my morning potty trip. The doctor's scale is always different because I'm wearing clothes, shoes, and I've eaten at least a meal.

The trends are the important part :)

As far as the thyroid, I would go by what your scale at home says. That will be the most true measure of your progress.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    if you record your weight in mfp, you might also be able to show that to the doc, wither on a phone/tablet/print out
    that may help them understand that you are tracking and being consistent
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I always weigh more at the Dr. office than at home, because I'm clothed, usually have food in my belly. I would record and use whatever your normal scale tells you. If you step on your bathroom scale every few days around the same time, under the same conditions you will get an accurate trend of your weight changes.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I put 10lb, 20lb, 30lb weights on my scale at home every so often in different combinations to make sure I'm getting a correct reading.

If I use a scale someplace else I take the number with a pinch of salt :)

Love the idea of putting weights on my scale! I'm going to start doing that :)
  • againbig
    againbig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of putting weights on the scale and changing batteries. Never thought about it. thanks
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dr s scale is always different and it always shows a higher number. never a lower number!! :mad:
    thats partly because those scales are set differently i would bet the starting point is not 0, but 5lbs minimum... the other weight difference is what others mentioned, meal, clothes etc.

At the end of the day the bmi matters to them. and because your weight is recorded, when you go next time it should show the same number of lbs lost, say you lost 10lbs, then drs scale will show 10lbs less as well. just the number different. I would your my home scale and ignore the drs scale.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of putting weights on the scale and changing batteries. Never thought about it. thanks

Since most home scales are intended to weigh people, and have sensors set up for our weight distribution while standing on two feet, it would probably be more accurate to weigh yourself, then pick up weights and weigh yourself again. If you use 2 20-lb. dumbbells, and your weight holding them is 41 lb. more than your weight without them, you know that the scale is reading 5% over the actual weight on it -- presuming your dumbbells are actually 20 lb. each and that the measurement error is linear. And ideally you should repeat the measurements several times and average.

Personally, I just use the same scale every day and don't worry about whether the absolute number is perfectly accurate as long as the trend is in the right direction.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I need to be able to tell my dr if I lose a certain amount so he can adjust my thyroid meds. :wink:

I agree with all the posts--scales differ, and the doctors' will usually read higher, and weight always fluctuates throughout the day, etc. However, if you are making med changes based on your weight, if your scale is old you may want to invest in a high-quality digital one with good reviews on accuracy. I had an older cheap digital scale (bought at Walmart-type store) and it varied a lot and always read 10 lbs different than my doctor's scale. I invested in a good quality scale and it is very consistent and in fact I went to the doctor last week and compared my scale to what his read and they were dead on.

My daughter has a medical reason to have an accurate weight accounting, otherwise I say a scale is a scale is a scale.