Quit smoking and packed on the pounds :(

Options
Hey everyone. Just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there going through this. I quit smoking in January of 2013 (YAY!) I am so happy that I was able to quit but holy man, did I pack on the pounds. I was always 125-130 ish (I'm 5'3") and pretty active. I continued to be active and my eating habits did not change a bit, but my metabolism must have slowed down a lot. Last year I packed on 20-25lbs in what seemed like over night! It is so frustrating. I have never been this big in all my life. I started Jillian 30 day shred April 3 and am still doing that along with running 3-4 times per week. I'm 37 so I'm not getting any younger and, man, it is way harder to lose weight now then it was even 5 years ago! I'm sticking with it though, even though I'm not seeing much improvement, I'm sure that it will happen. I think I may need to do more smaller meals throughout the day to up the metabolism a bit. Anyone else struggling with weight gain after smoking?

Replies

• GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep. me too. I had lost 30 pounds using MFP, decided to quit smoking in September 2012. I have not smoked since, but I have gained everything back that I lost and can't make a dent in losing again. To say I'm frustrated is to put it mildly -- I could scream!!
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I m in the same boat.. a year ago i quit smoking i had lost 70 pounds and gained it all back minus 6 pounds.. so glad to meet you both
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Personally, I didn't experience any weight gain when I quit, but that might only be because I wasn't very active when I was still smoking. When I quit is when I decided to live more healthily so I ate better and started exercising. So I suppose the lifestyle change was what kept my weight in check.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes. I quit in 2001 so it's been a long time ago. Your metabolism does indeed slow down. However, I could do things that I couldn't do when I smoked, primarily biking. So I took up the habit of biking! It felt so good to take long bike rides and not get winded.

I also figured I was way healthier with some extra weight than I was lighter and a smoker. I kept my total weight loss to around 15 lbs I think because I started biking and hiking regularly, so I didn't gain as much as you, but it didn't take long for my body to readjust and get back down to my regular weight. Just remember, you are healthier with 20-25 lbs on than you were smoking!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 1/2 weeks ago, and have been constantly snacking since. I'm trying to be mindful of what I'm snacking on, and I'm making up for it with smaller meals, but it feels like I constantly have to put something in my mouth. I've also kicked up the exercise, and so far I'm maintaining weight...I'm not losing, but I'm not gaining. I'll be satisfied with that for a bit until I can get the snacking and constant oral fixation under control.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 1/2 weeks ago, and have been constantly snacking since. I'm trying to be mindful of what I'm snacking on, and I'm making up for it with smaller meals, but it feels like I constantly have to put something in my mouth. I've also kicked up the exercise, and so far I'm maintaining weight...I'm not losing, but I'm not gaining. I'll be satisfied with that for a bit until I can get the snacking and constant oral fixation under control.

I quit using Nicorette (which was the only time I was successful at quitting) because it satisfied my oral fixation plus I had a sense of control and could pop a piece of gum at those times I associated with smoking a cigarette (after a meal, for example.) The oral fixation and associations were half the battle with me. When I finally gave up the Nicorette it wasn't actually very hard. Mind you, I kept a spare piece of Nicorette in my glove box, house, etc. forever so if I ever broke down I'd chew a piece of gum rather than buying a pack of cigarettes.

If you've already quit cold-turkey I wouldn't suggest it but just saying that the oral fixation and associations were as strong as the physical addiction for me.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I quit, I started going to the gym. Same day. I didn't worry about what I ate until I was quit for about 3 months. After 3 months, I joined MFP and finally weighed myself. I don't know if I gained from quitting. I was pretty heavy to begin with.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me; after quitting I gained back the 15lbs that I had lost over the course of a year. When I first quit I would get cravings a lot for snacky foods with tons of sugar and salt; I think it was my body's way of fighting the cravings. I am proud to say that it has been over a year since I quit and I rarely get cravings for cigs. Make sure you find a healthy way to manage stress, especially if you are an emotional eater like I am.
  • tfire77
    tfire77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    gained 60 pounds in 6 months after I quit smoking. Not fun and it is brutal trying to get rid of it. your not alone.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I quit 2 years ago.
    I know it's not advise that people here would approve of but here it is :

Concentrate on giving up smoking then weight loss if you struggle to do both (I struggled).
    Save your cigarette money in a jar and when you feel smoke free (took me 6 months) use the money to join a gym.
    Try sugar free lollys to keep your hand and mouth busy.

I put on 24lb in 6 months but it was the best thing for me. Quitting smoking was the best thing I have ever done.
    The way I see it, it takes less time to lose weight than it does to heal your lungs.

Do what is best for you.

Good Luck xx
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Definitely gained about 15 when I quit, but I have lost it since then.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10 when i quite about 5 years ago.......lost it now though.
  • eskkbm77
    eskkbm77 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have gained 25 lbs. I quit 2.5 years ago. I work out 4-6 days a week and watch what I eat. I'm on month 2 of nutrisystem now and have not lost anything. I feel horrible about myself and not sure what eels I can do. I've done 3 months of. Insanity, 3 months of Crossfit, and an now back to my Turbo Kick. I mix up my workouts and have an active job. I am going to see an endocrinologist next month. Maybe cortisol levels are high? I don't know, but I'm going to keep trying