Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    10157329_777422102292675_3002361141253165994_n.jpg
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking up not running?

:laugh:

Dont assume you wont have access in Thailand, check it out, you might get lucky
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    A wise man once said, "The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that successful people do the things they don't like to do."

I don't like lifting. I don't like running. I don't like getting out of bed in the morning. I don't like eating salads for lunch instead of sandwiches. I certainly didn't like working full-time while going to grad school.

In the end, the things you don't want to do are the only things that pay off.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, running is not my thing! I garden, I hike, I'll occasionally dance around the house.

My neighborhood is also not great for walking but I found a few youtube videos for yoga that I like.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I hate running as well. I dance instead. But really you are just talking about some form of cardio... doesn't have to be running. I used to really like elliptical machines, but variety helps as well.

But no, hating running is not bad.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would suggest picking up the Alwyn and Racheal Cosgrove book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Supercharged-Muscle-Building-ebook/dp/B008MG42YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397582134&sr=8-1&keywords=alwyn+cosgrove

They have a number in the NROL (New Rules of Lifting) series. Don't let the "lifting" part fool you, there's a lot you can do without barbells, though I would recommend a set of resistance bands and a TRX. The best thing is, both the resistance bands and TRX are very compact and not too expensive, and the routines can be done inside. Do an intensive routine, and you'll be totally gassed in 20 minutes, it's time efficient too.

AND NO RUNNING!!!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I hate walking and running. Doesn't matter what I do I find it the most annoying/boring activity. Even when I was younger and really fit, I hated it. I tried to force myself to get into it - never worked.

Right now I'm just walking, and I've tried a lot of things to make it better, more interesting, blah blah but I still don't care. I'm doing it anyhow and just tell myself, "Suck it up, Cupcake."

How do you feel about swimming?

I would be so happy if I could get a membership to just swim everyday but that isn't going to happen.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Why are you in so much pain? Previous injuries?

I know for a fact that there are lots of things that contribute to joint pain from running. I did cross and track for 4 years, had my fair share of injuries. Main culprits are:

-Bad form (SO MANY people with bad running form. This is the cause for about 75% of all injuries)
    -Poor shoe choice
    -Overuse
    -Failure to stretch regularly

If you just hate it because it is boring, I can't help you there. I agree, it can get boring sometimes. I usually bring audio books to listen to, but I actually do some of my best thinking on long runs without headphones. Sometimes its a nice way to decompress.
  • katlaf23
    katlaf23 Posts: 20
    Options
    I felt the same way until I started c25k free. Now I actually look forward to my runs. The key is that it's not that difficult to run when the run is split up with walking intervals.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking up not running?

:laugh:

Dont assume you wont have access in Thailand, check it out, you might get lucky

I can assure you that here in Thailand there are plenty of places to train all over the country. There are "western style" gyms in major cities with air con, all the usual equipment, classes, etc, but outside the cities you have many more makeshift training gyms for Muay Thai or just basic gyms with weights and fans to cool them, or even out in the tiny villages there are spare old tyres and bag type gyms in someones back yard that the locals use to train Muay Thai from very young kids learning to adults training, or just workout to get fit. Swimming pools are on the roofs of many major city malls, and in many hotels with some open to non-resident guests. If you are by the sea in Thailand you obviously also have the sea to swim in. There is also the National Sports Authority that is in Bangkok that has facilities for almost any sport you care to mention, including a huge cycle stadium, two or more running tracks, Muay Thai, gymnastics, clay pigeon shooting, etc., etc, etc. If you don't fancy any of that you can always pick appropriate body-weight exercises so that you can do them in your room or outside it, and that will save any travelling time allowing more time to train.

Where exactly here in Thailand will you be going? And what will you be doing here?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I like running, so I asked my friend who does most of her workouts in her apartment and this is the list she offered: Do weight-loss yoga routine - 10 minutes+ on youtube every day. Stand for an hour when you would usually be sitting. Wall sits. Personal in-home weights. Doorway pull up bar.

I'd myself would also add ab/strength circuits (can find these online with a quick google search) to this list, because that's the only in-home exercise I do; jumping jacks/jump ropes as cardio with lunges, squats, crunches, push-ups, etc. for a full(ish) body work out. There are lots of options that aren't your traditional run/walk/gym membership routes :)
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also hate running my Dr told me the my flat feet are likely the reason for the pain I have to deal with when I run although my hip which I had major surgery on may be part of that issue too. Then my asthma is also running induced so I feel your pain when you say you can't run & everyone else that is saying you mean won't or stop giving excuses have obviously never encountered the types of difficultles you have regarding running. Anyway to actually anwer your question maybe you can do dvd workouts? Idk if Thailand is like England where they use a different style of DVD system they use PAL we use NTSC or maybe you can bring a small dvd player from here with you (there are small ones at Walmart for $35) the Jilian Michaels videos are quite a work out if that is too harsh try a bunch of different ones until you find something that works for you. I know my local library has fitness DVDs that can be borrowed so I would try something like that 1st so it doesn't cost you a fortune finding a dvd that you could work with.
    Good Luck!!
  • waterskh
    waterskh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow I really appreciate all the replies!!! So many things to answer!
    -I have started swimming and I was a fish throughout my childhood. I love it and hope to keep it up as long as possible.
    -I will be living in a smallish town in Northern Thailand Phrae Province. I will be teaching English and I cannot wait!!! According to the research I have done there aren't any pools except for in hotels. Could be wrong though, will find out when I get there!
    -I have awful joints. I tore my miniscus and have strained my ACL back when I was fit and athletic. I also have flat feet and have recently invested in some quality running shoes which have really helped foot pain. Added weight does not help, so maybe when I loose some I will enjoy running. Hoping its true!
    -I need to stop making excuses and getting my *kitten* out there. I have finally come to terms with the notion that just because I deny the amount of calories that I have consumed, doesn't mean I didn't consume them. Just because I pretend that I workout regularly, doesn't mean I do.
    Thanks again for all of the responses. I really do appreciate them!!!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    Good luck with the teaching. How did you get the job? Hope they look after you and you get a nice room and classes. Last thing you want is days with 40-60 kid class sizes and nights in a room without running water, lol. You should be ok, but occasionally posts come up in the most unusually placed schools. One of my friends back when I did some teaching ended up in a school in the middle of nowhere and his room was a hut on stilts in a swamp with ho running water and therefore very basic facilities but he absolutely loved it! You have just missed Songkran but you can have that fun to look forward to next year! So, if you are in a school then there will likely be some sort of playground/assembly area that you can use to run around. Sorted! Good luck!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    Oh, and as for the food here, well, loads of healthy fruit and veg, but also loads more fried stuff and cakes (they are awful blancmange-trifle-come sponge really soft cakes, not at all like our firmer sponge cakes, fruit cakes, black forest gateaux etc) than there used to be. Not sure if you will have any nearby, but many major cities now are drowning in McD's, KFC's, Pizza joints etc. Eat loads of rice, veg, and tubers, like the countryside locals do and you can maintain or lose weight no problem. Eat like the city folks do and you will pile it on! lol.
  • waterskh
    waterskh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How cool that I found someone in Thailand on here! I got the job through my father's friend who he trusts completely so I am not too worried. They say I will have my own apartment or share it with one other lady, which I might actually prefer! I adore Thai food, so I will have to be VERY careful with calorie consumption :)
    Thanks for the advice and please let me know if you have any more!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    Well, I could tell you not to eat yellow snow, but of course we don't have snow here! ;-)

You should be fine. Some things are difficult to find here so bring them with you. Shoes are plentiful, but decent "quality" shoes can be impossible to find if you are a bigger size than the Thais. The plus side to that is that you will probably only need decent shoes for work, as the rest of the time you will likely be in flip flops as that is the norm here. Some home brand foodstuffs can be impossible to find or expensive. There are alternatives but expats often moan that they are not like at home, so if you have any you can't live without then you may want to pile a few in your bag and ration them here so they last you! Your father's friend can probably tell you what he misses and can't get and might even ask you to pack some of his favourites! Lol

Hope you like rice, 'cos that is the staple breakfast, lunch, and dinner, here with a side or two of something on top. If you are sharing an apartment you may have a cooking area but most Thais will just pick something up at the local street stalls to save time and effort, and it is cheap too. You will either have to be careful what you pick (so many are cooked in oil, with loads of addd salt) of you will be better off cooking yourself.

Enuf waffle for now. Message me if you have any specific questions and I will endeavor to answer them for you.
    Good luck.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run. The main thing to lose weight is how many calories you are eating. Exercise has other health benefits. Walking is a great exercise, 30 minutes a day, along with the proper calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. There are walking DVD's you can do in your home, if you don't have a safe place to walk.

OP says walking is too time consuming for her.

Yes, well, so is running or any exercise. So don't exercise then, just control eating.

THIS!! Find something that works FOR you. You can do workout videos at home!!
  • coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I hate running. I own a treadmill and used to go to the gym on occasion, but I never enjoy the aspect of it. I don't mind walking though at all, really. It's more peaceful.

I walk to and from my job and take public transportation and do a good amount of walking while at work, so I got myself a Fitbit just to see how much walking I really do any given day. Turns out after proper adjustments to the stride length etc, that I walk a good 3.5 miles a day just with a regular work day. For me, that was 300 calories or so I was burning. So, for that little extra, I added 15 minute walks with the dog to this to start, just to try to get up to about 5 miles of walking a day, or 10000 steps, which is the recommended daily average to 'get fit.' I average usually at least 8500-9000 on lesser days, but typically hit my goal.

That, along with eating at my deficit, has led to my losing nearly all of my goal of 50lbs in just about under 20 weeks. I can now walk forever without getting tired, out of breath, or even breaking a sweat. I can walk up the hills in my neighborhood with the dog and my knees no longer hurt, I no longer get back and neck pains, and I can run up the hills when the mood strikes me and keep pace with my dog, a Basenji who is built and lives to run, and then barely lose my breath after.

Walk if you don't like to run, and you don't have to do it all at once. A little here, a little there, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and it adds up.

ABSOLUTELY! And this is my plan too! I can't run because of shin splints and a bad left knee... but I can walk all day long! I take the stairs down... not up... but down. I walked 28 flights down the other day and that was a good work out.

Find something you do like to do and it will make all the difference in the world. Sounds to me like you should invest in kickboxing or Les Mills Mortal combat! Yikes! You can do this!!!
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Don't do any exercise you hate, you will get nowhere fast. There's classes you could take like Zumba, kickboxing, etc...Classes are very fun and upbeat. There's swimming which is good for the knees and hips. Simple exercises that get the heart rate up...hold a squat and throw punches while holding dumbbells. You could do more strenuous forms of yoga to get your heart rate up. How about going to a park and try doing pull ups on monkey bars? The possibilities are endless. Good luck to you!