Is there too much cardio in this program?

Options

Replies

• Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Because I like it and I dont have the time to do weight lifting now.

lifting- you're doing it wrong.

also- you have the same time as everyone else- it's just not a priority to you.

Instead of asking a question you already think you know the answer to- why did you ask?

What difference if it's too much-you seem convinced it's the only think you have time for anyway- but it's already to much unless you're a competitive athlete training for long events- actual events.

I actually have a muddy trail 10k in 10 days and another 10k in May. So I may need some preparation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Instead of asking a question you already think you know the answer to- why did you ask?

What difference if it's too much-you seem convinced it's the only think you have time for anyway- but it's already to much unless you're a competitive athlete training for long events- actual events.

I actually have a muddy trail 10k in 10 days and another 10k in May. So I may need some preparation.

you could run 2 times a week and be fine to do a 10k.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I am used to do 60 sets. Each set has 15 reps. I am trying to dispatch that through all my muscle: biceps, triceps, back, forehand and shoulder. should i consider this as vigorous or general weight lifting?
    I don't like doing 15 rep sets. Which is more endurance than strength by the way.
    I don't mind doign 5 rep sets. As mentioned, I'd a total of 45 (full weight) reps for the WHOLE SESSION, that's it.
    I don't particularly 'like' it, but nor do I dislike it and I do really like the results.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

you could run 2 times a week and be fine to do a 10k.

it's not a mud running 10k. it's a mud rowing 10k. the Cardio Endurance Olympics isn't for the weak of heart.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

I think weight lifting takes really a long time because you have to work out each muscle individually .... While rowing, you work out many muscle (biceps, shoulder, back and legs) in one stroke. I dont have the time to do weight lifting anymore (work and family)..... This is the reason, I was looking for an aerobic sport where I can work out my upper body: rowing seems perfect to me. I will try to weight lifting with some friends when I have time....

I am considreing adding more kcal in my diet

to the bolded part. FALSE, very very false. Ever heard of compound lifts?

Which weight lifting exercises are the best?

There is a classic combination of compound weight lifting exercises that most successful lifters used to bulk up. It’s known as the “golden five”. When most people talk about doing a “whole-body routine”, this is what they are referring to.

Exercise Name: Major Muscle Groups/ Minor Muscle Groups

Squats: Quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back/ Lower legs, upper back, core stabilizing muscles, hip complex

Deadlifts:Grip, lower back, hamstrings, traps, back of shoulder/Lower legs, core, upper legs, isometric work for biceps, and virtually everything else

Bench press: Pecs, triceps, front of the shoulders/Serratus muscles at side of ribs, side of shouders, neck

Pullups (or rows): Lats and upper back, biceps, grip/Core, neck

Overhead pressing: Shoulders, triceps/Core stabilizing muscles, neck

And don't forget Olympic lifts (work more than one muscle as well!!)....

Either someone told you something wrong, and you believed them or you formulated your own incorrect opinion about lifting.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Are you being punished for something? What did you do to deserve this sentence???

1.5 hours on a rower? On purpose???
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-13510-1369259919-16.gif

this looks like the best program to me... Hitting the cardio and the weights real fast, literally.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    I am used to do 60 sets. Each set has 15 reps. I am trying to dispatch that through all my muscle: biceps, triceps, back, forehand and shoulder. should i consider this as vigorous or general weight lifting?
    I don't like doing 15 rep sets. Which is more endurance than strength by the way.
    I don't mind doign 5 rep sets. As mentioned, I'd a total of 45 (full weight) reps for the WHOLE SESSION, that's it.
    I don't particularly 'like' it, but nor do I dislike it and I do really like the results.

ok... just a question... What would you consider as a vigorous weight lifting session?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You found lifting boring but enjoy 1.5 hours on a rowing machine???

That's what I'm saying! I've only used a rowing machine once and I was done about ten minutes in. Yawn!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I think the title says everything. Here is my new training program, what do you think of this?

You're fine if your goal is cardio endurance for sport or such. I would also find other cardio exercises, or some high intensity interval training to mix things up.

FOR sport? You misheard. Cardio Endurance IS his sport.

He's shooting for World Champion Cardiac Enduro Sportsman.

But he's gonna' have to beat this guy. Pretty sure he's the king of...something.

yzQwfKb.gif
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

ok... just a question... What would you consider as a vigorous weight lifting session?

The one I did today. Took me 45 minutes and it was so vigorous that I had to sit in the locker room inhaling a banana just so I could make it to my car without fainting:

Heavy BB back squats
    BB hip thrusters
    Romanian deadlifts
    Walking Lunges.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    it's not a mud running 10k. it's a mud rowing 10k. the Cardio Endurance Olympics isn't for the weak of heart.

you owe me a new keyboard/monitor... and a story to concoct to tell my coworkers why I'm dying in my chair here- clearly I don't do enough cardio to keep up with this kind of intensity.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Well there ya go.

Looks a little light then and I would add in jump rope, ladder drills, and some sprints.

Your missing the zumba - now that's cardio - 1000 cals an hour I heard
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

The one I did today. Took me 45 minutes and it was so vigorous that I had to sit in the locker room inhaling a banana just so I could make it to my car without fainting:

Heavy BB back squats
    BB hip thrusters
    Romanian deadlifts
    Walking Lunges.

So what is your definition of vigorous weight session? heavy weight? when you cant move your arms?
  • JoRocka
    Options

Well there ya go.

Looks a little light then and I would add in jump rope, ladder drills, and some sprints.

let's not forget our prancersizing
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Heavy BB back squats
    BB hip thrusters
    Romanian deadlifts
    Walking Lunges.

So what is your definition of vigorous weight session? heavy weight? when you cant move your arms?

Well….no. None of those above mentioned exercises cause me to not be able to move my arms. A vigorous weight lifting session is one that gets your heart rate up, gets you sweating (maybe even swearing) and pushes your physical and mental limits. The amount of weight lifted and set/rep setup will be different for everyone based on their experience and goals.
  • jayliospecky
    Options

Well there ya go.

lunapic_137063925035557_2.gif
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Probably something like an hour of Just Dance or wii Boxing.
  • jayliospecky
    Options

Probably something like an hour of Just Dance or wii Boxing.

lunapic_137063888399090_2.gif
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    This is both the funniest and most bazaar thread I have ever read.... I'm dying. :laugh: