Small girl wants to be toned and strong?

Options
I'm 108 lbs and over the summer I got really into distance running, which is great because since I was small I lead a pretty lazy lifestyle. As I'm getting more into health and fitness I've decided to drop running and start with training for strength and endurance. The only thing is I don't often have access to weights and any bodyweight excercises I find are targeted to those who want to lose weight. I'm really weak guys (I can't even do a "girly" pushup) and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    If you have room to set up weights at home or the option to join a gym, start with any of the popular beginner lifting programs such as StrongLifts 5X5, Allpro, Starting Strength, etc. Look up proper form, videos are especially helpful.

If those are not options and you must do body weight routines, lookup YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym) and Convict Conditioning.

Curious why you are giving up running if you are training for strength and endurance?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you have room to set up weights at home or the option to join a gym, start with any of the popular beginner lifting programs such as StrongLifts 5X5, Allpro, Starting Strength, etc. Look up proper form, videos are especially helpful.

If those are not options and you must do body weight routines, lookup YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym) and Convict Conditioning.

Curious why you are giving up running if you are training for strength and endurance?

All of this.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have two little kids, so I'm doing Convict Conditioning because it has good progressions and I can do it anywhere. I also consider myself a distance runner, even though I struggle to get 15 miles in a week.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    You can also use home made dumbells. Take a plastic milk jug and fill it with water or sand until it's heavy enough for you. As you get stronger add more water.

ETA: make sure you're eating enough too. You won't be able to build new muscle without enough fuel.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What about Insanity or P90X? I think P90X requires extra equipment but Insanity just needs a room of empty space to move around in. I hear it's very intense but the people who complete the program are stronger and glad they did. There are girls who did Insanity who couldn't do a pushup at the beginning and now can do a lot of them. Just remember it may take more than one cycle to get the results you want.

If you don't want to lose weight that shouldn't be an issue. Stick to a healthy diet and you'll build muscle. There are cases of people who have gained muscle weight by using these or similar programs, but they usually advertise weight loss because there is such a big market of people who want to lose weight.

There are probably other great programs out there as well but those are the two I see most often on infomercials.
  • BectheLion
    BectheLion Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just because you can't do a push up doesn't mean you're not strong. It's normally the down and back up part that gets people.
    Break it down in baby steps and do it in the reverse order. Lay flat on the floor and push yourself up. Kneel if you have to, to get to start position. Eventually build up to regular pushups. OR start out with doing one good on your toe push up, but stagger them out between other exercises.
    Go get some 5 lbs weights. Go to you tube to learn the basic exercises/most common exercises with hand weights. Jillian Michaels,Fitsugar, Pop pilates all have great videos online. Fitness magazine was my favorite when I first started working out.
    Start with low reps, low sets. Like 8 reps x 2 sets. Then increase one or the other. Such as go to 10 reps, 2 sets. Or 8 reps, 3 sets.

and lifting weights doesn't mean you have to give up running altogether. The combination will just make you more toned and still stay lean.

Good luck!! Let me know how you do.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm 108 lbs and over the summer I got really into distance running, which is great because since I was small I lead a pretty lazy lifestyle. As I'm getting more into health and fitness I've decided to drop running and start with training for strength and endurance. The only thing is I don't often have access to weights and any bodyweight excercises I find are targeted to those who want to lose weight. I'm really weak guys (I can't even do a "girly" pushup) and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Convict conditioning has you start with vertical push-ups (against a wall).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ps- there is no such thing as a girly push up.

only modified.

and don't start on the floor- start on a wall- or stairs- or a counter top.
  • harlsthebum
    Options
    Yeah I hate that term "girly pushup"! I just couldn't remember the word modified for some reason when I was writing this!
  • harlsthebum
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • harlsthebum
    Options
    Just because you can't do a push up doesn't mean you're not strong. It's normally the down and back up part that gets people.
    Break it down in baby steps and do it in the reverse order. Lay flat on the floor and push yourself up. Kneel if you have to, to get to start position. Eventually build up to regular pushups. OR start out with doing one good on your toe push up, but stagger them out between other exercises.
    Go get some 5 lbs weights. Go to you tube to learn the basic exercises/most common exercises with hand weights. Jillian Michaels,Fitsugar, Pop pilates all have great videos online. Fitness magazine was my favorite when I first started working out.
    Start with low reps, low sets. Like 8 reps x 2 sets. Then increase one or the other. Such as go to 10 reps, 2 sets. Or 8 reps, 3 sets.

and lifting weights doesn't mean you have to give up running altogether. The combination will just make you more toned and still stay lean.

For some reason there is a myth going around that you can't get strength AND do lots of cardio. Glad to know I can do both! Thank you!
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A great place to start is the book New Rules of Lifting for women. It comes with a 6 month beginner program. I was fat but wanted to be fit and lifting and fueling is a big part of what made that a reality. I understand what you mean about wanting to be strong. I never would have thought two years ago i'd be doing unassisted pullups and chin ups and as many pushups as I damn well wanted to. Gaining strength is an incredible experience. Get it girl
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

For some reason there is a myth going around that you can't get strength AND do lots of cardio. Glad to know I can do both! Thank you!

What's your definition of lots? The amount of cardio that most people are going to be doing is fine.

Generally you want to choose one on which to focus, but cross training is a good idea. I switch them. All winter I ran 3 days per week and lifted two. Now I've switched over and lifting is my main focus so I lift four days per week and run 1-2.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is targeted for people who want to lose weight; you avoid this by doing the exercise and eating at maintenance and eating back your exercise calories. You can't lose weight if you aren't eating at a deficit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the thing is - cardio isn't bad- it's good- but when you are trying to gain weight- it just literally means you need to eat more food.

Which is why people who are bulking do little to no cardio- when you are over eating as it is- and you tack on another 500 calories due to your run- it gets old.

You CAN do both- but it just is an added layer.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is targeted for people who want to lose weight; you avoid this by doing the exercise and eating at maintenance and eating back your exercise calories. You can't lose weight if you aren't eating at a deficit.

This...I started with a squat challenage to be honest...then moved onto 30 Day Shred and I had to do modified pushups for the first 5 or 6 days...and then could only do a few non modified...

Body weight exercises are a good started and then you can add resistence to them with smaller dumbells or bands and keep adding in the weight or resistence...

After 2 months of 30DS I moved to lifting heavy...and didn't have to start with the empty bar...actually added 15-20lbs...and that is from a women who had to do "girly pushups" at first...
  • osorio0203
    osorio0203 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had shoulder issues and could not do push ups for a while. I started doing incline push ups from my desktop or from the back of a chair or leaning against a wall. After building my shoulder back up I can now get to the floor again. Just do a little at a time and you will get stronger. Also.....I would not quit running. It is good for your cardio and will help you develop your legs and keep you lean. If you want bulk, don't forget to eat and drink shakes.......protein protein protein.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Wait I'm confused-- DO you want to bulk? You said strength and endurance-- are you looking to put on mass or just gain strength?
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You will DEFINITELY have to eat more if you are doing both strength and cardio. Just fyi. You'll need to eat all that back.

You have the right idea. Do a modified push-up. If one modification doesn't work, do another. Do squats and lunges and crunches until you're strong enough to tackle harder exercises. Do balancing exercises for core strength (yoga and pilates are good ideas) as well as things like planks, wall sits, etc. When you start to get stronger, maybe invest in some weights.