Cardio and back to back strength training?

Options
Hey there,

I'm looking to drop a few pounds while toning up my muscles for the summer. I've been doing cardio everyday (30-60mins) on either a bike, walking, running, HIIT or a mixture of two of those. Then, I've been doing strength training every other day (These are generally body weight exercises, sometimes light free weights are incorporated.)

I've been trying to be pretty strict with my calorie intake/protein/fiber. I'm not seeing results and I've been at it for a little over two weeks? Is the cardio everyday not good? Should I not be working the same muscle groups back to back? Thoughts, ideas?

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I would say to give it a couple more weeks. If then, you're not seeing results, drop your caloric intake.
  • K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've found the plans over at bodybuilding.com to be helpful. I'm following a 5 day training split:
    M-Legs, T-Chest/Triceps. W-Back/biceps, Thurs, Legs, Fri- Shoulders, Abs
    I'm also doing cardio 5 days a week but no more than 30 min. (usually HIIT)

I agree with Wolfsbayne... give it a couple of weeks to see results.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm looking to drop a few pounds while toning up my muscles for the summer. I've been doing cardio everyday (30-60mins) on either a bike, walking, running, HIIT or a mixture of two of those. Then, I've been doing strength training every other day (These are generally body weight exercises, sometimes light free weights are incorporated.)

I've been trying to be pretty strict with my calorie intake/protein/fiber. I'm not seeing results and I've been at it for a little over two weeks? Is the cardio everyday not good? Should I not be working the same muscle groups back to back? Thoughts, ideas?

Cardio and routine is fine, but you may bed to mix up things if your body is used to it. Give it a few months of consistency and maybe increase to working out with weights.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It been 2 weeks. Be patient
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It been 2 weeks. Be patient

this.

most people want results within a week or two- often times it takes upwards of a month to let your body react to the program.

get a program- stick to the program. if you aren't having SOME change in 2 months- then start tinkering.
  • smaxw7
    smaxw7 Posts: 15
    Options
    Did you take any measurements? The scale doesn't always show results. Four weeks ago, I started a fitness challenge. Circuit training and a low (not too low) calorie diet. The first 2 weeks, I kept gaining and losing the same pound. After 3 weeks, I was down 4 lbs and I will weigh in tomorrow on my scale at home to see what I've lost this week.

Anyway, I was getting discouraged, because I was hoping to lose 2/week BUT I weighed in on the Inbody machine at the gym yesterday. According to that, I've lost 10lbs of fat and gained 3 lbs of muscle. I'm not sure if that's perfectly accurate, but it's encouraging!

My point is; don't rely on your scale alone and be patient, it takes time :)
  • smaxw7
    smaxw7 Posts: 15
    Options
    "albs" should say 4 lbs!