Lose 10 pounds in a month

Options
2»

Replies

• onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your body always isn't the best indicator when it comes to being full. Sometimes you need to eat a little more than your mind is telling you that you need to eat. Sounds crazy, I know, but coming in at 500-1000 calories is not healthy nor sustainable.

If you are having trouble reaching your cals, add more healthy fat. More than one ounce of avocado. Nuts, olive oil, nut butter, etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Does your water also give you vitamins, fat, protein, and carbs?
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Read this from the Centers for Disease Control:

"What are some of the medical problems seen in people eating too few calories? In women, one of the first signs may be irregular menstrual periods or even complete cessation of menses. This is frequently seen in people who have eating disorders such as anorexia where calories are severely restricted. When menses stop, the risk of bone loss climbs due to lack of estrogen and poor nutrition. Other health risks associated with eating too few calories is anemia related to iron deficiency and decreased immunity due to low protein levels. This can increase the risk of colds and flu as well as more serious illnesses. Thyroid function can also be affected as the entire body tries to slow down to adapt to a starvation state. You may feel cold all the time with a decreased energy level and can experience mental symptoms such as depression."

Bottom line, you need to eat even when you're not hungry. It's that simple.
  • detarrevo
    detarrevo Posts: 45
    Options
    Well, as far as loosing 10 pounds on a month, yes it can be done, I've dropped 11 in 23 days, mostly just water weight though.

I agree you should be eating more calories though.
    I understand you say you feel fine eating what you do, but maybe try at least gradually bringing those calories up each day.

There were times in the past I barely ate for a few days because I was depressed. Point here though is I felt fine too, but once I was feeling better emotionally I felt like crap physically. Your emotions can sometimes block out that feeling of hunger.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Read this from the Centers for Disease Control:

"What are some of the medical problems seen in people eating too few calories? In women, one of the first signs may be irregular menstrual periods or even complete cessation of menses. This is frequently seen in people who have eating disorders such as anorexia where calories are severely restricted. When menses stop, the risk of bone loss climbs due to lack of estrogen and poor nutrition. Other health risks associated with eating too few calories is anemia related to iron deficiency and decreased immunity due to low protein levels. This can increase the risk of colds and flu as well as more serious illnesses. Thyroid function can also be affected as the entire body tries to slow down to adapt to a starvation state. You may feel cold all the time with a decreased energy level and can experience mental symptoms such as depression."

Bottom line, you need to eat even when you're not hungry. It's that simple.

then what's the difference with overeating then? I'm trying to find a balance.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Part of me thinks that 6 pounds was water weight but you can't lose that much from water right?

Yes you can easily lose that much weight from water. If in changing your diet you increased the amount of water you were drinking and decreased your sodium intake it would be quite simple to drop 6 pounds of water weight in a week. In fact its almost assuredly what you did, it is unreasonable to think you dropped 6 pounds of fat in such a short period of time.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    water gives me fuel.

Unless your stomach is capable of nuclear fusion then water does not give you fuel. You need to eat more than you are eating or you will end up dropping a lot of muscle in the process of your diet.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you are trying to lose 5 lbs? Your profile picture if recent doesn't look like you have much to lose. You should be set at a .5 lb a week, and you should definitely be eating more than 600 calories a day. Oh and water is not fuel
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    yeah i kinda figured that water thing. I haven't changed my ticker since I started back in 2011.
  • labtechmike
    Options
    I lost 26lbs in the first month and am still averaging 16lb a month which is 4 a week. So it is defiantly possible to do.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just today I was reviewing my weight loss calendar from last fall and I lost 10 lbs from mid Nov to mid Dec. But I have 80 lbs to lose so it's a far cry from a person who is probably already at a healthy weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I lost 26lbs in the first month and am still averaging 16lb a month which is 4 a week. So it is defiantly possible to do.
    Considering she weighs probably somewhat close to a third of what you weighed when you started, I don't think it's healthy or wise to suggest it's possible for her to lose 10lbs a month.

OP, you are not eating enough food and you should not aim to lose more than 0.5lbs a week at your current size.
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try calculating your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtracting 250 calories or 20% from that. Slowly increase to those calories.

Here is one of the best calculators -
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Your body will thank you in the long run, and you'll be more likely to maintain the weight that you worked so hard to get off.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Is losing 10-15 in a month realistic? I started in the beginning of April and have already lost 6 pounds in a week. My original goal was to lose 10 pounds within a month by drinking water, putting flax seeds in my diet, putting more fiber in my system, drinking coconut water, eating more fruits and veggies, eating more protein like turkey, chicken or beans, plus working out everyday. I normally work out 5 days a week but now I do 6 days. Anything else I can do?

I would say NO, its not realistic unless you are obese which you are not!! I haven't been able to lost 6 pounds in 6 months let alone a week....im also still hungry eating 1225 calories I eat and that is TWO TIMES what your eating....Honestly if you are that active and eating 600 OR SO CALORIES something medically maybe going on that you are just not hungry or cant eat more..

With the water, high protein, low sugar and working out seems your doing the correct things to get into great shape! Sorry I cant offer better suggestions