I dont understand how this happens!

Options
Basically I eat very healthy and have not changed my diet at all in the past years. I also do not eat gluten.
I run 5-8 miles every day occasionally taking a rest day and always do some form of stretching or a yoga session daily.

HOWEVER

I have gained a good 10 pounds over the past year and a half and have noticed a disgusting and rapid fluctuation in my weight daily.

It is not abnormal for me to weight 115 pounds one day and then 125 the next. Not only does the scale say it but i feel gross and my clothes do not fit.

I also have lost my period for over half a year but i have always thrown this back on the fact that I am a runner and considerably stressed out.

anyone have input or experience with this?

Replies

• eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Basically I eat very healthy and have not changed my diet at all in the past years. I also do not eat gluten.
    I run 5-8 miles every day occasionally taking a rest day and always do some form of stretching or a yoga session daily.

HOWEVER

I have gained a good 10 pounds over the past year and a half and have noticed a disgusting and rapid fluctuation in my weight daily.

It is not abnormal for me to weight 115 pounds one day and then 125 the next. Not only does the scale say it but i feel gross and my clothes do not fit.

I also have lost my period for over half a year but i have always thrown this back on the fact that I am a runner and considerably stressed out.

I have no personal experience, but I will say it is not unusual for large weight fluctuations on a daily basis. A multitude of factors could be at play (even the weather) but the most usual culprit is water retention.

Your diary isn't open, do you log everything you eat? Accurately?

Regarding this...I would consult your doctor.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you might want to consult your doctor.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

HOWEVER

Unfortunately no one can give you any kind of sound advise, if we don't know your stats and have a little insight in what kind of foods you log, which means opening your diary is also helpful. Based in this post there is not much anyone can say, except that a ten pound daily fluctuation is nothing out of the ordinary. I am 4'11" and my weight fluctuates easily 8 pounds depending on what I ate, when I ate, if I've been to the bathroom or not, how I have slept or if it is like right now 35 C/ 95F. I know those fluctuations are normal and don't let it bother me, because they have nothing to do with real weight gain.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Unless your really short, 115lbs is not a lot. Many women stop getting their period because they are under weight. Being a runner wouldn't make you loose your period. Stress might for sure. Talk to your doctor.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think it would be best if you spoke over this with a medical professional who can help you.

I hope you can reach out and find some support.
  • sarahmbm
    sarahmbm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Make a Dr.'s appointment. Could be something serious.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, do you log everything you eat? Accurately?

Regarding this...I would consult your doctor.

Im not a consistent logger. I try to be but my days fly by so quick where im not near my computer! I eat LOTS of salads, cooked vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish and of course the ocassional snack but in moderation. Coffee is also a downfall of mine. But I only drink water other than that, about 2-3 liters a day. Approximate calorie intake is 1400 on the days that I do log.

Also 5'3

And yes ive been in contact with a few doctors who cant seem to figure it out!

Thank you for your reply!
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • AreUjoking2
    AreUjoking2 Posts: 142
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked and your hormone levels.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Are you on birth control? Birth control can really screw with your weight, mood, self image and of course, your reproductive cycle. Even if you've been on it for a while and haven't had a reaction, you can develop one later on in life.
  • chelseasans
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories. I recently started adding a protein shake into my diet as i know i probably do not get enough (not a huge fan of red meat!)

I also have an awful habit of eating right before bed, usually gluten free cereal with almond milk, as I worked night shift for years and it usually takes me all day to even have an appetite!

thyroid tests were normal because i suspected this as well. only thing out of the ordinary was iron deficiency but ive solved that with iron pills
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just sounds like you inconsistent logging is causing the fluctuations in weight.

No period usually means you're a very low weight or body fat % for your frame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chelseasans
    Options
    i did log today and i set it to open. (Didnt even know you can do that!) haha.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Logging daily will set you up for success. Also, you really should consider upping your protein and fats as well as your calories in general. For a very active person your size, 1300 calories is many, especially while running as much as you do. I would also consider replacing several days of running with resistance training.

For your period.. like niner mentioned its probably a combination of low body fat, inadequate body composition and probably not enough nutrients in your diet.
  • chelseasans
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Appreciate the replies!

I am going to make a great effort to log everyday.

Unfortunately decreasing my stress if not possible at the moment! So if this is the reason, then so be it!