Hello! :-) My name is Heathyr, I'm new here, help!!

Options
I really need some motivation here! In 2006 I joined WW and lost 160 lbs. I actually worked for the them for several years and kept my weight in check for the years I was working there. Well, in May (almost a year ago) I quit. Anyhow, in the last year I've gained 90 of those 160 back. I can't seem to stay motivated? I ran a marathon last January and it seems like since then I've been struggling, I was struggling even before I quit WW. So anyhow, to make a long story short, I got on here to hopefully get motivated and get my mojo back. I fear I'm going to wake up and have gained all my weight back, it's so depressing....I hope to make some friends and get some good advice.

Heathyr

Replies

• iwillwearshorts
    iwillwearshorts Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Heathyr! Put the past behind you and look ahead. Don't let past mistakes drag you down. Leave the past in the past. What matters now is TODAY. For some of us, we need to take it one day at a time.

Do you have a plan that you like, that you believe is do-able? Different plans work for different people, so it's important to have a plan that works for you.

Grab hold of hope! We're all in this together.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Logging works.

Take "before" photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I suggest this post by trogalicious here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.
  • mdermott
    mdermott Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I agree pretty much with everything mentioned here. It seems like you have the exercise down pat. Keep it up. :) Another key is water. If you can't handle the plain kind, put lemon juice into it, even if it's that real lemon kind. Fill up on vegetables and fruit and decrease your carbs if you can. I hope that helps. I'm going through a rough spot too, so I know what you're going through. :)
  • runsoborun
    runsoborun Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome!

19905062.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • georgiefear
    georgiefear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome Heathyr! You probably learned a lot from your previous successes, and that knowledge will help you again.
    What did you learn worked for you with WW?
    What do you think led to the regain?

Happy to help if I can!
  • lstanisz79
    lstanisz79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here too. I have been using MFP for 30 days today. I just found this website today. I have lost weight on WW also. Right now I am tracking everything on MFP using the knowledge that I have from being on WW and Curves Complete. My very best to you and all of us newbies. Let's get healthy and stay healthy together!
  • heathyreverson
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Heathyr! Put the past behind you and look ahead. Don't let past mistakes drag you down. Leave the past in the past. What matters now is TODAY. For some of us, we need to take it one day at a time.

Do you have a plan that you like, that you believe is do-able? Different plans work for different people, so it's important to have a plan that works for you.

Grab hold of hope! We're all in this together.

Thanks. I don't really have a plan right now. I'm just limiting my calories and trying to work in exercise when I can, drinking more water, I'm struggling with that. I've been walking and going to the gym. I wish I was more into it. I'm kind of following what I learned at WW.
  • heathyreverson
    Options
    Thanks, good advice, Michelle, and everyone else!:happy:

georgiefear, I can't figure out what has led to this weight gain. I've gained and lost significant amounts in my lifetime. I think I just get sick and tired of being on a plan so I just say, "Screw it!" I quit exercising and I eat whatever I want. I know I can't do that, I'm a foodaholic! I know I will always have to be careful of what I eat. It just feels a lot harder this time getting and staying focused.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Welcome to where the cool kids hang:)
  • georgiefear
    georgiefear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can relate to how tiring it can be to be on a plan, and I'm a food lover too! You can still enjoy food for sure and see the pounds come off. If you think back to when you were losing vs gaining, you probably had some behaviors that were different. You were probably eating less or choosing different foods. (I promise meeting attendance is NOT why you lost, it was your eating patterns! ;)

A great place to start is practice waiting until you're hungry to each, and practicing waiting it out if you get the urge to eat when you aren't hungry. Have you tried that?
  • dpants89
    dpants89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You've done it before, you can do it again! I know how you feel, loosing your mojo after a successful weight loss is confusing and disheartening! I am in the same boat! Bianca :smile:
  • jacksonbigt
    Options
    Biggest thing you have to over come is your mind. You have to control it and if you can control your mind you can do anything. Once you control your mind then say "I will do it" not "I can try" but "I will do it" and follow through it. I was never large then gained weight after my accident and made some major changes. You got this girl. Cut out the salt and limit the portions to the size of your fist and eat before 6pm and drinks lots of water. ;) Good luck and keep in touch. Eric