do you eat at night?

Options
I've given up a lot to diet using MFP, stuff like chips, candy, Coke, 5-Guys burgers, you get the idea. I'm OK with that. But I'm not OK with the no-food-after-dinner approach. By the time 9pm rolls around I want to watch a DVD and have something fairly substantial to eat. I've been budgeting my calories and trying to eat healthy snacks like Greek yogurt (I get it plain and add some jam, topping with Grape Nuts and almonds). Do you eat at night or is that a big no-no?

Replies

• tatumpa3
    tatumpa3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started back today after two dresses felt like I was stuffed inside. It probably isn't good to eat and then go to sleep, but today was a very busy day. I really need to "plan" my meals better. I had breakfast at 10:44 am / snack at dinner time - 6 pm / and when I got home at 9 pm (I didn't stop at McDonalds) I was starving so I ate. And I didn't feel like doing a 10 minute workout tape. But I did exercise this morning. I think if I planned my meals better (and I intend to) I probably wouldn't eat heavily after 7 pm (most of the time).
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple or 2 with almond or pb every night and if I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I eat a banana. I am losing steadily.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    What time you consume your calories has no bearing on weight loss. Whatever works best for you and fits in your plan.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have calories left to have a snack right before bed!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't cause you heartburn or sleeping problems and you stay within your calorie nd macro goals, it's totally fine to eat late at night.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I eat at nite, snack right before bedtime actually. I also eat chips, junk food and other goodies. I pre plan my meals in advance, work what I want in, add extras to nite snacks so I can adjust thru the day if I change a meal, or forget something I ate and of course to have a nite snack or two. There is no way I can stick to a plan if I have to restrict myself from eating something....moderation is the key, portion control.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Except for indigestion possibly interrupting your sleep, depending on what you eat, I see nothing wrong with eating at night. Meal timing has had no impact on weight loss for me. I have PB&J on a toasted english muffin almost every night...making one right now as a matter of fact.
  • reduxi0
    reduxi0 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just eat my last meal of the day (my largest) late. Sometimes as late as 9PM.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, then eat. I ALWAYS eat at night. i have forever. Listen to your body.
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What time you consume your calories has no bearing on weight loss. Whatever works best for you and fits in your plan.

This. If you're hungry, eat! As long as you stay within your calorie goal it doesn't matter. Even if you go over you can still not gain by finding out what your maintenance calories are and staying under that. "Calories in vs calories out."

Though I do find that when I eat late at night, I don't sleep nearly as well.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, if I'm hungry.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Night eating is the best sort of eating. Except daytime eating. Which is equally as good. Yay for eating!
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't eat late at night very often but that's a personal preference. If it fits into your daily routine and it works for you, there is nothing wrong with eating after dinner!

If I'm gone all day and I only had water and a little snack during daytime hours then I will have something to eat between 8-10 pm. If I want a snack for a movie, I'll try to pick the healthiest option I have avaliable but that's really just because I don't want to fall back into old habits of eating at 1 am everyday AFTER all of my meals and eating bars and chips while having a tv show marathon.
  • jasminemars01
    Options
    I tried not to eat anything tongiht. But I broke down an hour ago and had an orange. Then I had another. Then I stopped. Oranges are pretty filling and they also quench your thirst. Last night I got through the evening without snacking, which was unusual. I did drink a glass of 100% fruit juice (still bad, I know) before bed, and that seemed to stave away the hunger pangs. And it wasn't heavy in my stomach.
  • moonstoneme96
    moonstoneme96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I snack after dinner, but I don't have any carbs. Usually just grab some left over chicken, or maybe some broccoli or something like that.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency have no impact on your weight loss.

You can also eat carbs, fat, or protein. Also doesn't matter.

Oh, and you can still eat chips and Five Guys Burgers every so often and you will still lose weight.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    This.
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm like a little kid if I need to go to sleep I need a full tummy adn since I'm a big milk drinker I try to save my large glass of milk for right before bed...This si the first time in years I haev seen the scale go the direction I wanted to and it still includes my late night food.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah for sure I eat at night, I'm eating right now. Nothing wrong with that.

You are trying to over-complicate something that is really rather simple. Calories out > Calories in = weight loss.
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was incredibly relieved to find out on the forums that the night time eating no no was totally a myth. So, eat away! My snacking time is pretty important to me lol. I just choose healthier things to eat during them now. Also, unless they'll tempt you to go on a "binge," don't restrict yourself of the things you really love! Budget them in your calories and macronutrients. Cutting out things you don't plan on cutting out almost for good is a recipe for disaster just from what I've read so far