From 800-1000 to 1500 cal per day....help!!

Options
I've lost about 6 pounds in 2 months and I've hit a plateau. I've been eating 800-1000 cal per day and my exercise every day burns at least 400cal and my work is active. I've realised finally that I need to eat much more and eat back my exercise cals to continue weight loss but I'm wondering if I should start eating at 1500cal immediately or slowly introduce 100cal more per day?? Or maybe even just listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry?? Cos I usually suppress my hunger with lemon water and green tea.
I'm 19 years old and 5'1 btw. My weight was 130 and now it's stuck at 124.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated I'm stressing over this!

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it sounds like you should be eating more than 1500 cals, also, with an active job and a 400 calorie daily burn. Otherwise you're still netting 900 calories, which is better than what you were, but still not good.

I would set MFP up for a 1lb a week loss maximum, with an active activity level and log and eat back at least half of your exercise calories, and see what figure it gives you.

It's better to up slowly if you've been under-eating for a while. Doubling your calorie intake overnight could make you blow up like a balloon. Up it 100 cals a week, and ignore the scale for at least 8 weeks. You may put on some weight, but that's normal, and temporary.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Increase it by about 200kcal to begin with for a week and then increase it by another 200 the following week, you will be fine.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i call troll :P
  • daveisawesome
    Options
    This is actually a common problem and a misconception concerning caloric intake, weight loss and then hitting the plateau. The short answer to all of this is that your body hit the plateau because the amount of calories that you are currently taking is not enough and as a result your body's metabolism is slowing down. This happens quite a bit in runners who are trying to lose the last few pounds to become more lean. One of the recommendations which has already been suggested by those who responded is to increase your caloric intake gradually and as suggested by Lauren3101 is to reset the MFP settings to 1 lb per week. Try to gradually increase your number of calories to that set by MFP as it takes into account the energy expended by exercise for that day. This will allow your body's metabolism to be jumpstarted again. Hope that helps.