How sugar affects the brain (TED Lecture)

Options

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lord, YouTube comments!

Referring to sugar in moderation, "Thats like saying, "oh its ok to smoke crack in moderation".. dont feed your parasites what they are begging for."

Yes, because giving the body something necessary for it to run (carbohydrates) is like smoking crack :huh: :laugh:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Also, every good thing that ever happens to us spikes our dopamine levels. I don't think many people will be paying attention to that briefly mentioned part...

So if sugar is like a drug, so is getting a hug from a loved one, sex, exercise, or anything else you find enjoyable.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Also, every good thing that ever happens to us spikes our dopamine levels. I don't think many people will be paying attention to that briefly mentioned part...

So if sugar is like a drug, so is getting a hug from a loved one, sex, exercise, or anything else you find enjoyable.

Correct.

I think take home message from the clip is - eat broccoli - it's a safe food.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Oh dear lord, YouTube comments!

Referring to sugar in moderation, "Thats like saying, "oh its ok to smoke crack in moderation".. dont feed your parasites what they are begging for."

Yes, because giving the body something necessary for it to run (carbohydrates) is like smoking crack :huh: :laugh:

Dietary sugar is not 'necessary' for the body to run!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Correct.

"It tastes like **** but you can life off it"
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Correct.

I suppose the question is, if you only ate broccoli, how long would you want to live?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Correct.

I suppose the question is, if you only ate broccoli, how long would you want to live?

I love steamed broccoli with a little butter! I seriously couldn't get too much of that :love: I don't understand why cauliflower gets all the glory when broccoli is so much tastier and it is even good on pizza :drinker:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Correct.

I love steamed broccoli with a little butter! I seriously couldn't get too much of that :love: I don't understand why cauliflower gets all the glory when broccoli is so much tastier and it is even good on pizza :drinker:

Yes, but you are cheating and putting butter on it. I would happily live off broccoli if I put butter on it. I would happily eat cardboard if I could smother it in sweet melted butter!

ETA for seasoning: plus salt and pepper.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Correct.

But only if you measure it in standardized cups! :laugh: :laugh: I like you.

You didn't learn to walk by only ever doing safe things. We didn't get to the moon by only ever doing what was safe. What a sad life to only ever do things that are safe. And this is coming from me, the most risk-averse person I know.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    bump. An in for all the craziness that is bound to ensue!
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Quite
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

You didn't learn to walk by only ever doing safe things. We didn't get to the moon by only ever doing what was safe. What a sad life to only ever do things that are safe. And this is coming from me, the most risk-averse person I know.
    [/quote]

Cheers pet xx ... as for risk taking .. whoops .. see my avitar :-)
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Correct.

Booooo why is that!? Nothing worth having unless there's a little risk involved!