How much does leg press platform weigh?

Options
DJ7203
DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
Just curious, how much does the platform you push weigh before you add any weights?

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it, I can't imagine much, I think the mechanics of the leg press would cancel out some I the weight! But now I am interested to see if anyone does know!
  • ChinoHDT
    ChinoHDT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    75.5kg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The Hammer Strength model at my gym is 80lbs.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It will usually say somewhere on the platform if it's a newer machine. They are usually between 50 and 150lbs but keep in mind the degree of the sled as well. A 100lb platform on a 45 degree sled will take more force to move than a 150lb platform on a 30 degree sled.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The mechanics of the leg press mean you're not lifting the full amount that you are actually putting on it. Depending on the machine it can be as little as 50% or as much as 80%, but never more than that. You can pile on plates to track your progress but the amount you can lift on one machine doesn't necessarily translate to another, nor does it give an accurate gauge of how much you can actually lift. The only way to actually track how much you can lift or get an idea of how much it translates into functional strength is with free weights using no mechanical assistance of any kind.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Damn, I thought it was 45lb?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    The leg press at my gym has a sign that indicates the minimum load is 50lbs - that load being the platform/bar assembly.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Different weight for different sleds. The one I used to use in college was about 45lb but the one I used at my current gym is 60lb's.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The mechanics of the leg press mean you're not lifting the full amount that you are actually putting on it. Depending on the machine it can be as little as 50% or as much as 80%, but never more than that. You can pile on plates to track your progress but the amount you can lift on one machine doesn't necessarily translate to another, nor does it give an accurate gauge of how much you can actually lift. The only way to actually track how much you can lift or get an idea of how much it translates into functional strength is with free weights using no mechanical assistance of any kind.

^This. Do squats