Muscle gain.

Options
13»

Replies

• jforjorden
    jforjorden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You need at LEAST 3500 calories.. You'll die if you continue doing so much cardio/working out with 1400 calories.

I'm 5'11, 130 lb's and I'm aiming for 3400 calories atm.

If you're having trouble getting 2000 calories in, try eating in small portions frequently. Basically 6-8 meals per day, it'll help open up your appetite. Also you should think about taking supplements to help you get to your calorie goal. I wouldn't worry about putting on fat either, considering the amount of cardio you do, just don't worry about it.
  • rumple2014
    Options
    You need at LEAST 3500 calories.. You'll die if you continue doing so much cardio/working out with 1400 calories.

If you're having trouble getting 2000 calories in, try eating in small portions frequently. Basically 6-8 meals per day, it'll help open up your appetite. Also you should think about taking supplements to help you get to your calorie goal. I wouldn't worry about putting on fat either, considering the amount of cardio you do, just don't worry about it.

Depends on how rigorous ur wieght lifting is tho. I'm 5ft 10 and 145 pounds! I do 5x5 and only 2 weeks in! I'm trying to eat 2700- a day and already feel like I'm putting on fat but that's because I was a ffb! I put on 5 lbs in a month! Not sure if that's good or bad gains! I'm prob scared a bit ! When I start lifting heavier and see some results that don't lead I too much fat gain I may increase my calories but if I'm eating loads of protein like I have been I may up calories!
  • danielwillis22
    Options
    Ive completely stopped the cardio for now to focus on muscle gain. I might start adding a 10 minute cardio session onto the end of my weights.
  • Braddah_Ev
    Options
    Your test levels at your age are becoming very optimal. Eat, eat, and eat everything. 4000 plus calories a day being your height and weight. 4000 sounds like a lot...because it is, but just trying to be realistic. If your staying active and not eating all junks then you'll be ok. Aim for it daily. Minimum 200g protein. You may miss it on somedays but no biggie. It'll be better to shoot high and come short, then to shoot mediocre and come short. Drink at least a gallon of water a day.

Lift heavy within 8-12 rep range. Compound movements, especially the big 3(bench, squats and dead lifts) And throw in some low reps 4-6 and high 12-15+ every now and then for a shock.

Keep up the moderate cardio post work. 3 times a week. only 10-15 minutes. It'll help keep your appetite up.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Ive completely stopped the cardio for now to focus on muscle gain. I might start adding a 10 minute cardio session onto the end of my weights.

Are you listening to the advice in this thread regarding caloric intake and following a program like Starting Strength? Don't just make it up as you go. It'll be that much harder for you to be successful.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Eat. ALL. THE. THINGS.

LIFT. ALL.THE.THINGS.
    This. You can lose fat any time in your life. But there is and will never be any better time in your entire life to add muscle.

IIRC in Starting Strength he recommends drinking an entire gallon of whole milk every day in addition to your normal meals.
  • jcranston13
    Options

Depends on how rigorous ur wieght lifting is tho. I'm 5ft 10 and 145 pounds! I do 5x5 and only 2 weeks in! I'm trying to eat 2700- a day and already feel like I'm putting on fat but that's because I was a ffb! I put on 5 lbs in a month! Not sure if that's good or bad gains! I'm prob scared a bit ! When I start lifting heavier and see some results that don't lead I too much fat gain I may increase my calories but if I'm eating loads of protein like I have been I may up calories!
    What do your measurements say? The scale is not what you want to focus on, if I remember correctly, you are new to lifting and your ability to gain muscle mass is going to be higher because of this. Stick to your plan, take measurements, and profit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eat. ALL. THE. THINGS.

LIFT. ALL.THE.THINGS.
    This. You can lose fat any time in your life. But there is and will never be any better time in your entire life to add muscle.

IIRC in Starting Strength he recommends drinking an entire gallon of whole milk every day in addition to your normal meals.

yup. what I wouldn't give to go back 15 years and start lifting like crazy and bulking- I have good size and a nice base and have had that since I was younger thanks to my Marine father who insists on working out and incorporating weird crazy workout stuff while doing chores on the ranch. Seriously- muck stalls- do 10 pull ups- muck stalls - do 10 pull ups.

But still. If I knew what I know now... I'd go back and lift or train even more- would have saved me some hassle!!!
  • goldenbeautyxo
    goldenbeautyxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All this talk about "eat all things" is making me hungry :ohwell: