25 y.o. PDX gal in search of a motivational fitness buddy

Options
MEGAmm
MEGAmm Posts: 40 Member
Hey y'all, I'm 25 years old and I have reached a point where positive fitness and dietary changes NEED to become a crucial part of my lifestyle.

In the past 3 months I've dealt with a lot of new stressful situations in my life - new job (split shift and two different clinic locations, resulting in 2 hour commute every day), supporting someone going through significant PTSD trauma, which also happened to bring up a lot of negative personal past experiences, not to mention I like in Oregon and the long fall/winter/spring rain definitely doesn't help boost my mood.

In those 3 months I've jumped from 160 (lowest 155) to a whopping 180 lbs. It was a REALLY quick weight gain, and it's all thanks to uncontrollable stress eating/binges that are controlling my life and my weight.

I would LOVE to find someone who can help motivate me to make good choices, and help hold me accountable throughout my weight loss journey. Optimally, I'd like to find someone in the Portland area who I could workout with from time to time.

If you want a workout partner with similar stats, mine are:
Height: 5'4"
Current Weigh: 180
Goal weight: 150 (but this is flexible, as my main goal is to feel more toned and comfortable in clothes, and in better shape so I can lead an active lifestyle)

Let me know if you have tips, tricks, suggestions, or if you are interested in being my motivational tour guide through this process!

Replies

• nom9nom
    nom9nom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hey, I'm 24, live in Seattle though. You can always email me or something if you needed. I'm just starting too.

I'm 5'7", 158 lbs. 31% body fat.

In general I'd like to be around 140 lbs, or 25% bf as my first goal. But I'm just doing p90x and seeing how I can keep up with all these changes.
  • MEGAmm
    Options
    Great! You can always message me too, if you ever need to! I hear p90x is ROUGH. How's it going for you?

Today I (re)started the Couch 2 5K program. I did it last year and was so amazed at my progress. I went from losing my breath after running for 5 minutes to being able to run 30+ minutes, easily. I'm back to square one now, but that means I can only improve from here! :-)
  • nom9nom
    Options
    couch 25k? I've never heard of that....but it must work, because when I used to go to the gym, it took my 6 months to be able to run for 5 minutes without stopping. D:

Today I finished day 15 so it is pretty hard but it goes by fast...and since I'm writing all my reps down, I can see I do a lil bit more each week. I wouldn't have known that otherwise :O my biggest thing is how the eff i do my macros...i write down everything i eat too, and calculate all of it out, but im not sure which macros work for me. I'm trying to get as close to 50/30/20 (P/C/F) as much as i can because p90x recommends it, but i usually get somewhere like 35/35/30 which is not very close :(
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and 5'4. I've been losing despite some stressful personal experiences. At the end I realized that one day the day the stress will end and I'll either come out hot and fit or depressed and flabby. If I still have to be stressed either way, id rather end it looking fabulous.

So just make small diet changes and stick to them no matter what. They add up and suddenly you're down 10 lbs. Good luck.
  • MEGAmm
    Options
    Yeah! Couch 2 5K is so great. It is really gradual, but it will absolutely get you running 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks. I run 3 times a week for 9 weeks, with intervals of walking and running for 30 minutes until finally - BAM! 5k. :-)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • CarobChip108
    CarobChip108 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am moving to portland at the end of may. I'm 24, 5' and 160 :( lol I am aiming for 130.

I am coming from San Diego, so I will have to adjust to the change of weather there, it'll be interesting!
  • lauranordersvu
    Options
    Hi! I'd love to be pals!

I'm 24 years old and in the last 12 months I've gained between 12-15kgs! I'm desperately looking for someone to help me motivate myself/share recipes with etc, so feel free to add me and message me :):):)
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey guys ~ Seattle rain loving girl here

Add me too pls!!!

Start around OP (see my monthly threads) hoping to get to 150 as well - by fall I hope (30 lb total)
  • nom9nom
    Options
    omg lol i hate cardio to pieces. but my body responds real well to strength training...to each his own right. im sure the cardio workouts like that one burn more calories though
  • amyjen321
    amyjen321 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi!

I am the same age, height and very nearly the same weight. I'll add you!

I've started C25K several times and always got distracted and restarted. I'm now on my 4th try to do it, week 3 day 3. I try to do small yoga workouts at home a couple times a week, ideally everyday. I am really bad at keeping a routine. I'll typically do well for about a month and then get sidetracked, so I could use some fitness buddies.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, 5ft 3 3/4 and I currently weigh 150, goal to reach 130 eventually but I won't put my lifestyle change into a time limit.. Although being able to lose just 10lbs once the summer is over would be nice lol I live in Canada and we also are having not the greatest weather so I haven't been able to get out running yet (I really hate treadmills) Add me if you want.. I'm generally on everyday but sometimes life happens..
  • cyrostien
    cyrostien Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm on the east coast but would love to add you as a friend for more motivation! I need it too. I've been through a lot of stress in the past two years - I have a 1.5 hour commute, my husband has been unemployed for that long too, we have a toddler (who I love, but maaaaaaan)...I'm 5'9 and would LOVE to get to your goal too. I also have the active.com C25k program but haven't kept up with it. When you did it the first time, did you lose any weight? I guess I want to know if people had success besides being able to run longer.
  • MEGAmm
    Options
    I also have the active.com C25k program but haven't kept up with it. When you did it the first time, did you lose any weight? I guess I want to know if people had success besides being able to run longer.

I did lose weight! I actually did C25K in addition to the 30 Day Shred. I would alternate days. I stayed on Level 1 of 30 Day Shred. I didn't lose as much weight as I wanted to, but I DID lose inches. My body felt better, my clothes fit looser, and I was in great running shape. I'm excited to do that same thing again, and then go even further once I meet my running goal.
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    I'm very interested in the C25K and local to you. Seems like you can inspire and motivate pretty well yourself!

Honestly I don't drive a car in part to keep up the walking stamina but I also like to run or jog at times. Was so happy to avg over 10k steps each day lat week according to the FitBit I impulse bought. Hubby is great on exceedingly long walks but knees won't let him run. I have a bit more to lose but keep up pretty well. Wouldn't mind staying in touch at the very least, I will request you!
  • Kittysaurusrex13
    Kittysaurusrex13 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 (almost 25) 5'4" and located in the Portland Metro Area. I've already sent friend requests to some of you because it's nice to have people in the area for motivation.

Right now I'm doing 30DS and Blogilates Beginners Workout Calendar 2 days on 1 day cardio and 1 rest day repeat. I'm interested in adding the C25K as my cardio day.
  • paleopin
    paleopin Posts: 47
    Options
    Hey I'm 25 living in NYC. Trying to lose weight has been really difficult so it would be great to get some extra motivation. I'm down about 20 pounds since I first started, but kind of hit a mental barrier so I'm working on that now. I've been so stressed about finding a job so I had to make that a priority. I just got hired somewhere so I can finally relax and make a plan to get healthy now that I have the money to spend on things and a real schedule to work with. What programs are you guys using?
  • MEGAmm
    Options
    Thanks for responding, everyone! I'm happy to have made a few friends by making this post.

Let's talk about what we're up to!

I just wrapped up Week 2 of Couch 2 5K. This is my second time going through the program, and I'm pretty excited to work on my running endurance again. I let myself get SO out of shape, and even just Week 2 was difficult for me today... but knowing I got through it once before is so motivating for me. I did it once, I can do it again!

I'm also going to Zumba more often. I go to PulsePDX, which is an AMAZING place. They have a nightclub atmosphere, with a big stage, DJ, lights, and the room is dark (without mirrors!) so I can just get my groove on without feeling self-conscious at all. It's a TOUGH workout, but it's awesome and fun. Gives me hope that having an active lifestyle can be fun and interesting. :-)

Any food or exercise challenges y'all are doing right now? Share with us! :-)
  • mullarkey18
    mullarkey18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds a lot like mine! I started my own business last year and gained the same amount of weight and kept it on for over a year. I just recently turned 35 an said to myself if I don't start now I will regret it!

I started myfitnesspal to help keep track of my calories, but most importantly my protein, carbs and fat. I also try and run for 20 minutes every day. When I started it was hard but after several months I can do it with my eyes closed and I am running further and further in just 20 minutes. One thing I am doing different is that I am lifting weights more. It is true when they say muscle burns more fat. I lift 5 days a week and I am not scarred at all that I will become large as a man.

These things should really help and you should see fast results if you follow them strictly. If you have any questions about what I am eating I would be happy to answer any questions. My first month I lost 10 pounds an even though the several months after I only lost a few more pounds I was still losing inches because I was losing fat while gaining muscle.

Good Luck!
  • Kvj205
    Kvj205 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey I'm around your age, i live in NYC , and looking for a workout partner. Message me if you are interested.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!