Quick Question About Calorie Goals

Options
tonyamt2
tonyamt2 Posts: 16 Member
MFP has my calorie goal set on 2810 based on my activity level and weight. I am on a low sugar program. It is nearly impossisble for me to eat 2810. I am consistently eating between 1500-2000 calories a day. Is this okay? I am not hungry. I am satisfied. Any comments would be helpful.Thanks, TMT.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If the low sugar plan is from your doctor or nutritionist - then it may be best to listen to their goals regarding your intake range.

Otherwise - its kind of hard to say based on what you've stated. Height, weight, age, gender, activity level: all factor in.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You don't give any stats or say what your activity level is. If you have a lot of weight to lose, a bigger deficit is ok.

Keep in mind the MFP doesn't factor in exercise in your activity level so if you are highly active, this will affect the response.

Adding fats and protein is an easy way to bump up calories without adding sugar. An avocado packs a bunch of calories, little sugar, a tbsp of olive oil or butter over veggies or salad is a quick 100 calories, nuts and nut butters as well. There are plenty of ways to bump up calories without adding sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what are your stats and activity level that you are getting such a high calorie goal. not that it's not impossible or anything, but it's pretty unusual for a female to have the high of a calorie goal...that's roughly my maintenance number as a 5'10" male with 5-6 days per week of exercise for about an hour.
  • tonyamt2
    Options
    Sorry about that. I am 5'9. Weight 340. Activity level: I put low because I have a desk job. I am walking a mile a day 7 days a week while I walk my dog right now but plan on increasing the activity this week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your height but as a female with 149lbs to lose 2800 might be appropriate.

As for the low sugar part if that is due to health getting in those extra calories is easy enough.

Regular fat cheese, avocadoes, nuts etc.

Don't do "diet foods" or "low fat" esp low fat as they usually have a higher sugar content anyway.
  • tonyamt2
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will work to incorporate more healthy fats in to get the calorie count up.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What I’d give to be on 2800 calories a day and still lose weight haha. Hello jars of almond butter for breakfast!!

Seriously though, give it a couple of weeks and see if you lose anything! The only way to know for sure is to test the theory. Good luck!
  • tonyamt2
    Options
    It's mostly just water weight but I have lost 15 lbs. since April 7th. I am going to keep on trucking along and if my weight stalls I will just have to change it up.
  • KendraT1992
    KendraT1992 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    MFP is a very generic out of the box calorie goal calculator. I would go with what your Dr. tells you is appropriate or go to another source to come up with what is truly appropriate for you based on MANY factors. It had me on a 1200 calorie plan, which honestly I was able to do but I felt tired most of the time and the weight just wasn't coming off at all. I did some research and have adjusted my calorie intake to 1400. That was taking what my actual calorie intake should be 1600 minus 200 food calories, and at least 200 burn a day to acheive weight loss.
    The scale is finally moving in the downward direction again. I have energy to workout etc.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP is a very generic out of the box calorie goal calculator. I would go with what your Dr. tells you is appropriate or go to another source to come up with what is truly appropriate for you based on MANY factors. It had me on a 1200 calorie plan, which honestly I was able to do but I felt tired most of the time and the weight just wasn't coming off at all. I did some research and have adjusted my calorie intake to 1400. That was taking what my actual calorie intake should be 1600 minus 200 food calories, and at least 200 burn a day to acheive weight loss.
    The scale is finally moving in the downward direction again. I have energy to workout etc.

MFP is just a calcuator. It relies on us to imput the correct information and to use it correctly. Many people here choose incorrect activity levels, and weight loss per week goals. I often see people choose 2lbs a week weight loss, then compare it to TDEE - 20% (which is about 1 lbs a week weight loss).
    A lot of people also overlook the fact that if you exercise, you are supposed to log that and eat those calories as MPF does not account for exercise until you do regardless of which calorie goal
    Not saying that is what happened with you but it is pretty common here. I;m glad you figured out what works for you. A lot of people will just blindly follow this program.