MapMyRun, RunKeeper, Nike+, which one is best??

Options
2»

Replies

• Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    One thing everyone should take into consideration with these apps is that they can only be as good as the GPS chip in your phone, to begin with.

Placement inside the phone can hinder its reception.
    Placement on your body or in your pocket, bag or backpack, etc will hinder its reception further.
    Tall buildings nearby, being in a deep canyon or under heavy tree canopies or cloud cover will also mess with your location.

Most consumer, dedicated GPSr units will show the same symptoms of occasionally showing your track way off from reality, and giving you different mileage on the same course, because all these factors will change it's tracking and where it thinks you are on the map.

That said I've tried Runkeeper, MapMyFitness(Run, Walk, Hike, insert your activity here) and Endomondo and have found them all to be very similar in function and accuracy, and I prefer the MapMy_______ products to have the most appealing UI for my personal preferences.
  • peterjasper
    peterjasper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like the training programs on offer on Runkeeper. Once you have selected a plan you have scheduled run days and rest days throughout the week. It even sends you gentle reminders if you havn't done your run on the allocated day, which is handy for desk bound workers like me to get a friendly nudge out the door to do a workout.

I found map my run and map my walk pretty 'pedestrian' by comparison, and I find I am more active using Runkeeper to keep me on track.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun. It's the first one I tried and works fairly well. I've only had problems a few times with the GPS showing crazy things. I drove and then ran the same route the other day and came up with the same distance. There's one trail I run that's patchy but there's minimal cell signal there so I figure that's why.
  • Shieva
    Shieva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love nike plus cause if I'm not running outside I can also use it indoors and its always on point.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun
  • issata
    issata Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I originally started out with Nike+ Running because I have so many friends on Nike. So for the social aspect of it, it is fun. The UI is flashy and results are decent. It didn't give me all the stats I would have liked. So I've removed it since.

I tried RunKeeper briefly and didn't get into it too much. I'd have to give it a try again to fully give you a report on it's capabilities and functionalities. I don't know many people on this app.

I'm currently using MapMyRun and it's pretty decent. It gives you elevation, splits, map, pace, etc. The UI is simple and works well. But it's got a ton of advertisements that pop up and is quite annoying. The one major bonus I appreciate of this app is the ease of finding new routes to run through other member's activity. This has been fun to compete and try new places. Another bonus is that it connects to myfitnesspal which is connected to my FitBit. So that's another driving factor for me.

I haven't had the chance to try out Runtastic yet. There are so many options out there.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started with mapmyrun, wasn't too impressed so I switched to runkeeper, which was great for programming intervals etc, except the GPS in my phone or area was kind of dreadful, and I really don't run 50 miles in 30 minutes. Even with cleaning up all the spikes on the map manually, it never reset my goals. So I got the Nike shoe sensor. At least that didn't have me hopping all over the map anymore.
    Now, with my new phone, in my new place, GPS is no issue anymore, I still use Nike for the competition, but I use runkeeper at the same time, or on its own when cycling.

I tried runtastic, but meh, i guess I tend to stick with what I know...

When I decide to buy a Bluetooth HRM and shoe sensor, I'll probably either go with Garmin or ismoothrun.
  • ldocampo
    ldocampo Posts: 34
    Options
    I don't run outside, so for treadmill running I use Nike+. I love it and I've used it for years. The app is easy to use, the website is straight forward and I get a better accuracy on distance than the treadmill count. LOVE IT!
  • sillyshamrock11
    sillyshamrock11 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have compared my time and distance to my friends with running watches and Endomondo is pretty accurate. I used to use Mapmyrun but found Endomondo much better. It also interrupts your music and tells you each mile you run and how long it took where mapmyrun does not!

I use mapmyrun and love it. Never have had any problems, so I've never bothered to try any other ones. And one of my favorite features is that it DOES interrupt your music and tell you how many miles you're at and your pace. So not quite sure why that isn't working for you...

Interesting to hear about these other apps though. Maybe I'll try them out and compare. :smile:

10502468.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I use :-

Garmin Connect
    Strava
    and Endomondo

They all work fine for me for all of the activities that I do.. I use those because of the different training groups that I'm a member of.

Endo is great on my phone for music and Pep talks from mates.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nike +

Loves it!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I like Nike + best, and I've used all of the ones you listed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My friend uses the Eudnemundo one- god I cant' spell. whatever.

I downloaded MyMapRun- worked okay... I don't like the fact when you post to facebook it posts the map too- I leave my house to run- I don't like putting that out there. But I don't mind sharing "oh i ran today". it was easy to use and pretty straight forward- so I can't complain for a free app.

I will probably switch and try to the E one as my friend uses it regularly and she's the app queen.

I'd be interested to see how well they work for sprinting- I'm more of sprinting rather than long term running- only doing that for cutting- but I much prefer the sprints- I pulled my top quad so i'm off of sprints for a bit- feeling like that test will have to wait. :(
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm glad I read this thread! I've been using some random free "sports tracker" cause that was the only one I could find for BlackBerry...but now I see that Endomondo is supported on my BB. Must go install that now and give it a whirl tonight!!!!