i CANNOT stand left over food

Options
2»

Replies

• tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with leftovers is when my kids don't eat something, then they go their dad's house. Since I don't eat meat, the dogs end up with the leftover chicken nuggets and "gasp" sometimes steak...
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love leftovers and I love any food cold...so, added bonus of not having to spend money on the electricity/gas to reheat items.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Is this normal? I've tried to google it, but no help.
    Basically, i absolutely loathe left over food (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks) Like, i will not ever have left overs. I know this is not good for me, because if i get a big meal (going out or staying at a friends) i will eat until it's all gone, and thats not good for my diet/weight loss.
    I make sure if there is stuffing, i'll pick it up and eat it.
    Am i the only one? haha
    This is the MAIN reason why 65% of the US is overweight. Over consumption. Feel free to join them if you don't learn how to control portions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't like most leftovers either, but thankfully my husband does so we don't end up wasting food. Most often when eating out with my friends or husband, I split with someone and then let them take the leftovers if there are any. My husband and I usually split an appetizer, entree, and dessert so we can have a 3-course without feeling overstuffed and rarely take anything home.

And, as another poster said, if you're cooking at home, find things that you like leftover. For instance, I'm not a fan of reheated pasta or bread or most meat, but I'll eat leftover chili, soup, gumbo, jambalaya...most of that stuff actually tastes better after a few days of hanging out in the fridge or freezer. I also don't mind eating reheated shredded chicken or pork or even seasoned ground beef (like taco meat) so I make some of that on Sunday and then can use it all week for quick meals.

I don't understand the "get over it" attitude. Everyone has foods and food preparations they don't like.

ETA: I grew up in a "clean your plate" household where we weren't allowed to leave the table unless we'd eaten everything on our plate. If we refused, we got to eat that meal for breakfast. We kept getting it until we ate it. I don't like to put blame on my mom for things, but that created a very bad relationship with food for me, and the mentality of an empty plate or else! is really hard to break.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I adore left overs when eaten either the same day or the next day. I also like to repurpose left overs... left over baked chicken becomes chicken salad... left over asparagus gets chopped up and tossed into eggs...a half of a left over hamburger (sans bun) gets chopped up and tossed on a salad with bacon and gorgonzola cheese.

My secret to left overs is I get everything on the side and deconstructed. Then I put together exactly how much I'm going to use and the rest goes straight into the left over container before I even start my meal. That way I don't have a soggy burger to bring home, but rather a nice half of a quality beef patty, a crisp slice of bacon and a few crisp veggies.

Back in my pasta eating days, I always thought left over pastas were better the next day anyway. I'd usually just mix a little water in with it and microwave it and the flavors were so much better on the second day in my opinion. Other foods are horrible microwaved and should be warmed in the oven or toaster oven. A nice piece of crusted fish for example, is disgusting microwaved but delicious when re-heated in the oven. Same goes for a good steak. I order my steak rare plus and eat the thinnest portion at the restaurant.. then when I reheat the left overs in the oven, it is still delicious and not overcooked at medium to medium rare... Microwaving it is a horrible idea and ruins it. Maybe you don't hate left overs as much as you think you do.. maybe you are just ruining them by reheating them incorrectly.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you don't like lieftovers - then don't eat them. Who cares? (I don't mean that in a snarky way - just really - what does it matter if you don't eat left overs?) Only cook what you eat. And if you want to lose, you need to get over eating more than a portion just because you don't want left overs. Better to throw food away in the garbage than to throw it away on your body.

Now... if you have finacial problems and can't afford to not eat left overs - then you need to get over it.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

Yup.

My boyfriend dislikes leftovers as well, so he will rarely take them to work with him. I will eat leftover until they're gone and some things even taste BETTER the second/third day. I hate hate hate wasting food, so I won't throw something out unless it's really bad. Food is (mostly) expensive, so throwing food out is like throwing $krilla in the trash.

This is how we roll in my house as well. As long as it smells fine and there's nothing growing on it, I think it's ok. He will eat the "good" leftovers (like pizza), but not really too much of anything else.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, leftovers are awesome because it means I have something easy for lunch the next day. For you, OP, tweak your recipes or just invest in more garbage bags.