What has helped you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Logging my food helped convince me to quit going out at lunch and bring better choices. Now I read while I eat at work I save tons of calories. Also planning my meals on MFP for tomorrow helps keep me on track. Down 55 pounds....so I guess I can say it's working :)
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As others said, weighing and logging all food. Also don't overestimate how much you burn exercising. And finally, be patient. You will not lose weight over night. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ceceg13
    ceceg13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would say don't drink your calories. This happened to me a few days ago- I was out running errands before work and instead of grabbing a water bottle I grabbed a bottle of apple juice. At the end of the night when I was going over my food entries I noticed I forgot to add the apple juice and it was a grand 210 calories... I could have eaten half a meal for that lol. Before MFP I would think I was eating pretty healthy but that extra frapp or extra cup of whatever a day adds up. I tend to eat well all week and allow myself a cheat meal on Saturday which is usually dinner :) Can't give it all up- life wouldn't be the same without mac and cheese!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Finding friends on MFP, and doing something EVERY DAY, either exercise, or choosing not to. But it's a conscious effort each day.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Moderation really is key! I had an all-or-nothing approach at the beginning. Cutting out certain foods that I loved but were "bad" for me, sticking to a low calorie goal...but then I would have a major blow out and have a really hard time getting back on track. I've learned that I can actually eat quite a bit and still lose weight (trial and error) and every once in a while I can have a donut or some ice cream or pizza, etc. Make changes that you can live with FOREVER, or the weight loss won't stick. :)
  • artsyparts
    artsyparts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the calories "earned" by exercise! And take your measurements, everywhere imaginable... . On the weeks when the scale doesn't budge, you may get smaller somewhere - which is just as motivating!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Being consistent, running, portion control
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Keep perspective and your eye on the reward.
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For a.long time I worked out like a mad man. I.could build muscle and strength but never lost any fat. Then when I started mfp I learned how to portion my meals. I had been eating the right foods but I was eating too.much. Once I started to portion out my meals I continued to stay strong, my running improved and I started burning the fat right off. And after about 3 months 20lbs were gone.
  • erinlee023
    Options
    Cutting out, or at least majorly cutting down on packaged foods.
  • samwright1
    Options
    Don't just count calories. Make sure you're eating the right calories by balancing protein, carbohydrates, fat, and sugar. Exercise is obvious, but I've found it helpful to wear a pedometer. I have a desk job, but I still try to shoot for 8,000-10,000 steps a day. Having a pedometer motivates me to get my feet moving more. Also, don't find your identity in your weight or your weight loss! You are not defined by a number on a scale. Don't get obsessive or completely deprive yourself. Be smart, healthy, and treat yourself every once in a while. Chocolate is good for the soul... in moderation ;)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Find something that works. Anything that isn't likely to be lethal will do. I don't care if it's standing on your head eating raw cookie dough. But if it stops working, instead of giving up, go find something else that does work. Repeat as needed.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Drinks lots of water
    Don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods just have them in moderation
    If you end up having a cheat day just make sure you jump right back on track the next day.
    Have patience it will happen
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is my new mantra 'Eat less - move more'.

To do that i have to weigh/measure and log everything (so I know that I'm eating less) and make time for exercise. I allow no excuses - I'm tired, I'm stiff, It's wet/cold, I don't have time - just don't cut it with me any more. Anyone can always find a way to move more.
  • grannieamw1
    Options
    Eating small healthy amounts 5 times a day and one sensible dinner. Google Stop Choose Challenge
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    weigh everything

exercise 5 days per week

my goal was 78kg, EVERYTHING I ate or did got the question; "will this help me get to 78kg?"
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hydrate, Hydrate, and then Hydrate again. I increased my water intake to 6-8 cups of water a day and all the other things your fellow myfitnesspals have already told you. And remember, don't beat yourself up if you don't meet the exercise or calorie goal you set for yourself. If you do something, it is one step closer to your goal than doing nothing and complaining about it. It will do wonders for your disposition, your skin, and yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, "Eat less, move more". I get at least 12,500 steps in every day, strength train 3 days a week, and keep my calories to a reasonable deficit of 500 per day.

I hit my lowest ever weight of 123 that way last summer. I allowed myself to put on some fat over the winter, so I am now back to my old routine to get back to my "summer weight".
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the calories "earned" by exercise! And take your measurements, everywhere imaginable... . On the weeks when the scale doesn't budge, you may get smaller somewhere - which is just as motivating!

But - if you have set mfp to sedentary and have been given a big deficit you will need to eat some of them back or you will get very hungry and tetchy and may be tempted to binge. Depends upon how you've set up your deficit in the beginning.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    PLAN PLAN PLAN!!!

First 2 weeks...Don't worry about exactly what you are eating or how you are exercising. Just take a look at your life, write down lists of the goals you want to achieve and how they are going to make you feel better. Write lists of food you like that are healthy and ways you can exercise on your schedule. Find places close to where you live that you can buy fresh produce and meats. gather healthy recipes of foods. Making meal plans ahead of time helps so much! That way you know you have the ingredients and don't have to substitute with an unhealthy alternative. Don't have time before work to make your healthy lunch? Make it the night before. Plan everything!

2-4 weeks...Get a gym membership or a machine at home with some light weights (2-5lbs max). Try to find a gym with a woman's only room, I find when there is an all woman's room I tend to go to the gym more because I don't feel like I have dress up or look cute at all. i just roll out of bed, quick shower and go. Woman only rooms tend to smell better and be cleaner :) Sorry boys! Plus the locker room is usually connected to the gym room making everything more private. Get used to the machines. Try a new machine everyday and find which one works better for you. I tend to like the elliptical because I can work out my arms and legs at the same time. Can't run very well...I smoke. Everything is going to be hard at first but don't let it scare you away!! You are going to sweat more than you have ever sweat before. Gross but... You are going to smell because all those toxins that have been sitting your body are going to be sweat out. Drink lots and lots of water, eat your veggies/fruit, sweat it out, and that will pass in a couple weeks. In about a month on the same machine you will get used to it and it will feel great when you are done. You just have to get through that first month or so! When I first started I always bought a magazine and MP3 player with me so it would keep my eyes off the timer.

4-8 weeks...keep working out and eating right! Everything you do this month is going to show up next month. Just remember...you are working for the body you are going to have next month. Let this idea keep you going. You aren't going to notice a lot of changes to your body right now but you will soon, I promise.

8-12 weeks...Yay! If you are still going good for you! You should be noticing little things about your body that are changing. Your legs and arms are firmer. Your skin should be starting to clear up. You wake up in the mornings energized. You shouldn't be craving junk food so much. By now you should have a good schedule going. If you find yourself starting to go back to your old eating habits...let yourself have a treat every once in awhile. More often than not you are going to take one bite and realize it is too sweet or salty for your tastes now. Change up your mix of veggies and fruits, If you have one bad day don't beat yourself up about it. you are allowed to cheat. Your body still needs some treats even if it is just for your mental well being.

PLEASE, don't give up now! If you stop now you just have to go through these three months all over again. Trust me, it is easier to keep going that to start all over again. Keep going month by month...You are working for the body you are going to have next month!