Was signing up to a gym the best move you ever made?

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Quitting my gym and doing my workouts with fitness blender was the best move I've made. I've made far more progress and spent far less money, so that's a win to me!

This. Add BeFit workouts, Turbo Fire and T25 along with Fitness Blender.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic responses! I think I need to consider some PT sessions!!! ASAP!!!

if you get a PT I would have them show you proper form for compound movements - barbell squat, deadlift, overhead press, rows, bench press etc...don't waste your money on someone that is going to have you doing a million reps with a 5# dumbbell or just working on machines..

If you learn the big compound movements now, it will pay huge dividends for you later...
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    In the past I have tried the weights, aerobics, aqua fit at the gym...it was okay, but I didn't last long there then I tried Curves which was excellent, but I ended up not going after I lost 20lbs. So now years later I decided to do something more fun to keep me motivated...so I signed up for Kickboxing 8 weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it. Best decision I ever made was kickboxing - it is a strictly Women's kickboxing only place and the workout is fantastic...the people are very friendly and I love how we pair off with someone for part of the class and encourage each other...it is alot of fun and we have lots of laughs!! I always look forward to going back - I try to go 3 times a week.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I joined my gym four and a half years ago and yes, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I found the right gym for me, which was smaller and less intimidating to me at the time. When I joined, I also started with a personal trainer, not sure which was a better move. He keeps me motivated and holds me accountable. I lost over 100 pounds in the first year and have kept it off and found a love of fitness. I went from a couch potato to going to the gym or some sort of fitness class 6 days a week and doing triathlons and fun 5Ks (Warrior Dash, Tap N Run, etc....and yes I said fun) I have also made some great friends over the past 4 years, I see some of the gym people socially, on a regular basis.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    No. I've been a gym member for YEARS. I stayed fat for a lot of that time. I needed more motivation than just a membership. Having goals to smash made the difference. I never set measurable goals for myself before. Once I did, I could focus training and that made a huge difference.
  • tanwa55
    tanwa55 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh yes, joining the gym was the 'bestest ' move I made. Having a full time job and 2 very young kids meant it was very challenging fitting exercise into my daily schedule as being home meant there is always something to do- apart from exercising! my husband actually suggested it to me making me realise that I was possibly going to be more committed if I paid for it. This has been true and I am truly well on my way to reaching my goals. It has not always been easy but with will-power and personal commitment to getting fit and healthier, it is very worthwhile. All the best and I am sure you wouldn't regret it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I signed up at my first gym ($15 a month) back when I was 19.

I would say that since I'm still just as frequent (though I haven't paid a gym membership in 16 years now), I'd say yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here is my experience:

1st gym membership 2007 - I went about 6 days out of the entire year
    2nd gym membership 2008 - I went about 10 days out of the entire year
    3rd gym membership Nov 2011 - I have gone at least 6 days a week

You have to be ready to change. My first two go 'rounds, I thought I was, but really wasn't. If you aren't 100% ready, don't waste your money.

But, to answer the question. Yes, it has been the best move I've ever made. Good luck!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Best move! EVER!! A quick example. Several years ago, I lost weight until I weighed about 180 pounds. I did that entirely by managing my food and adding light cardio, mostly walking. That time, at 180 pounds, I wore a size 16 pants and usually a Large shirt.

Years passed and I gained weight. In a renewed commitment to living healthy, I started watching what I ate, I joined a gym, and added strength training (personal trainer). Combining smart eating, cardio, and strength training worked for weight loss. Most importantly, it had a non-scale victory as well. When I got to 180 with this apporach, I was wearing a size 12 jeans, occasionally a size 10; shirts were medium and some times smalls!!

Same weight - very different visual result. The scale should not be your only way to value results. Women have to work INSANELY hard to bulk up. I lift heavy weights (I can bench about 145) and clearly have not bulked up.

DO IT!!!!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Joining the gym is one thing, but actually going and using it is where it's at! But yes, for me, I wouldn't be where I am without my gym. I love lifting and I couldn't do what I'm doing without the gym. I just don't have the room for the kind of set up I would want at home. I don't think gyms are necessary, but I like the flexibility it gives me in terms of different weights and machines as well as cardio equipment.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes! I tend to have exercise ADD (always want to do something different) and I LOVE group exercise classes so the gym is perfect for me. Sometimes I want to go for a swim in the lap pool, spinning, try a cardio dance class, run on the treadmill if it's crappy outside, etc. I do my lifting at home because the weight room is always too crowded during the times I can go (stupid, I know) but it really fits into my life well. You will love it!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've been going to gyms since I was a teenager, so for me it was always a part of a lifestyle. However, I will say finding activities I *truly* enjoy, not just putting in the time slinging heavy metal objects around, was what was really the best move I've ever made. I recently joined a Kaia Fit which I love - much more interactive and challenging (for me) than just going to the gym and doing the same routines I've been doing for years. I also fell in love with running, so that's made a huge impact on my fitness/health goals and desires.

I think if the gym is your thing and you enjoy it, then go for it. But there are many other things you can enjoy and fall in love with outside of the gym that will help you on your way.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    By no means, I use a gym out of the need of efficiency. My first membership was well over 30 years ago, its just a tool for me...not the thing that drives me.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I belonged to a gym, and never went in the warmer months, so I canceled my membership.

I am much more successful now that I work out at home and do things I enjoy as opposed to doing things I feel like I *have* to do to be in shape.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It was a great thing for me to do at the time, but the "best" move I ever made was deciding to switch to lifting heavy.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have been a gym rat for most of my late teen/adult life.. best thing I ever did was to educate myself about nutrition and what your body needs in order to do certain things (lose/gain/maintain) and then apply that to my daily activity and figure out how my body works..

I actually cancelled my gym membership and started doing at home stuff and lost the majority of my weight that way.. but now am gonna get back to the gym (need the heavier weights back)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The best things I've done in order:

1) Figuring out how to eat properly.
    2) Buying a lifting cage and weights, so I don't have to go to the gym (although I still do sometimes)
    3) Getting a dog that loves to run (although I don't run with her as much as I should).
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would say that changing my eating habits has had the most impact but the gym has also made a huge difference. I've been going on and off for years but have been more dedicated the last three months. I work out with a trainer 2x/week and also have tried all kinds of classes to figure out what I enjoy. It's now become a part of my life, I've lost 20-25 pounds and I actually have some muscle tone. :)
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've been a gym member for years and while I do love it, MFP helps me just as much if not more. Afterall, it is probably 90% diet / 10% activity for delivering results ;)
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The two times I signed up for a gym was great I've made so many awesome friends.