need dinner recipe - chicken, rice, broccoli....GO!

Options
2»

Replies

• strongheart145
    strongheart145 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are a lot of great ideas.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    two words: stir fry.
    get some heads of broccoli, red and green bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and rice (white or brown, up to you), garlic and the chicken breast.

cut all that goodness up (you can leave the mushrooms whole) and slice the chicken into chunks or strips. get a little oil (I like to use canola oil) in a pan or a pot, and throw in the chicken and onions. When the chicken cooks a little more, throw in the garlic (I tend to avoid throwing in the garlic first in case it burns. Then throw in the mushrooms, peppers and broccoli. Stir it up and wait for the veggies to get soft and cook. Finally, add some soy sauce (maybe like a tbsp) and an ever so slight amount of sesame oil (maybe like 1/4 tsp.) and stir it all up. Serve on some rice. Enjoy the deliciousness.

Everyday food has a variation with some extra things to add to the sauce. http://everydayfoodblog.marthastewart.com/2013/08/todays-recipe-chicken-and-broccoli-stir-fry.html

They're not essential, but if you have the stuff around and don't mind the extra sodium, go for it-it's quite good :D. I also advise that you grate your ginger if you decide to try this recipe out- in chunks I found it to be very strong.

WORD!
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cut chicken in to thin pieces, roll through a salted and peppered beaten egg, then roll through crushed Kellog's whole wheat natural cornflakes, pan fry in olive oil with a tblsp butter (wait untill realy hot), 2 min. each side. Better than McNuggets! Fry an onion, mix with the rice. Serve broccoli with a drizzle of olive oil and Italian spice mix. Depending on your portion size, this could be anywhere from 100-800 cals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hate every kind of baked chicken breast, unless it's thin slices and stuffed with stuff... but otherwise, I just hate the texture. Go figure.

For me it's either grilled or cut in small pieces and pan fried... then the kids can just dip it in ketchup or whatever. One of my favorites though is sweet and sour chicken, I just buy the sauce and use it on rice, chicken pieces and peppers (even better with pineapples)... so good. Even the kids gobbled it up last time.

Or chicken fried rice, just stir fry some veggies, add chicken, rice, one or two eggs and some soy sauce. That would work with broccoli.

Otherwise I use the grilled chicken in salads, tacos, quesadillas... Just mixed with rice, broccoli and low fat cheddar would be delicious too.
  • jencopes
    jencopes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is the thread that I needed! I have been hitting the same boring chicken and broccoli rut.

Thanks everyone!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas.