What was your most awkward job interview experience?

Options
Andreaviolet89
Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
What was your most awkward job interview experience?

Replies

• Andreaviolet89
    Options
    Mine was probably last summer. At the time I was in a relationship and the interview went great. The guy seemed ready to hire me and then asked me if I was in a relationship. I said yes and then the interviewed seemed to be over lol. Needless to say I didnt get a call back.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The man who was interviewing me was wearing a women's pant suit and it was very, very distracting.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Options
    The man who was interviewing me was wearing a women's pant suit and it was very, very distracting.

OMG what? why? lol
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I was called in to an interview at the last minute when I was dressed to go out to the clubs.
    My future boss did NOT like my choice of clothing.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

OMG what? why? lol

I guess he thought it was a men's suit? The buttons were on the wrong side and fit of the pants was just... wrong.
  • BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was helping to interview people for a programmer job a few years back when one of the candidates (he was about 30 years old) was asked by the department head, "What do you like to do outside of work?". To which he answered that he collected Transformers.

Same job opening, but this time a woman told us that she would be the best choice for the job. When asked why, she told us that she was a witch and could use her 'powers' to help the company grow....she was dead serious, and got quite upset when we laughed at what we thought was a joke.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    3 know it all bishes had me do a "working lunch" while they basically grilled me while I was *trying* to eat. They were spouting off their acronyms as if I should have already been an expert on their project since I worked for the same company but an entirely different division and project. Needless to say, they didn't like me...for whatever reason. Feeling was mutual.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options

This has got to be the winner :bigsmile:
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    I chocked on my own saliva! They had to bring me water, didnt go good after that! :embarassed:
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was called in for a second-round interview during which the owner of the company went through my resume and insulted all of the companies and organizations I'd worked for while asking me what possible experience I could have gained there that would be relevant to his company.

After I stumbled my way through that one, they tried to call me back for a third round. I politely declined.

Close second was a "group interview" that was billed as being a fun and relaxed way to interview. Four people all vying for the same job, in the same room, with the president of the company. Instead of "fun and relaxing," he basically pitted everyone against one another and encouraged everyone to compete and upsell themselves, in direct contradiction to the questions and requests he was making of people. I wasn't sad not to get that job.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I once interviewed a girl wearing boy shorts and a halter. I had to stop mid interview and tell her it was not going to happen. I did refer her to some websites on how to dress for an interview.
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    They asked me what my worst fault was...I answered "I can be sort of lazy".
    I got the job.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was helping to interview people for a programmer job a few years back when one of the candidates (he was about 30 years old) was asked by the department head, "What do you like to do outside of work?". To which he answered that he collected Transformers.

Same job opening, but this time a woman told us that she would be the best choice for the job. When asked why, she told us that she was a witch and could use her 'powers' to help the company grow....she was dead serious, and got quite upset when we laughed at what we thought was a joke.

HA! My husband interviewed a guy not too long ago who, after the interview, cruised by the HR director's office and asked her to go buy him a pack of cigarettes. When she told him that they could be purchased at the hotel the company had paid for, he said "Yeah, but then I wouldn't get them for free!"
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    I was interviewed by a man when I was 22 years old. I sat down in the chair and was answering his question. After a few minutes I took my hand and adjusted my pants. He leaned over and looked at my crotch then back up to my face. I was hired and later found out he was homosexual. He never done anything else weird but that was awkward as hell. Looking back I guess, I know how you girls feel to be violated with our eyes.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Options
    I once interviewed a girl wearing boy shorts and a halter. I had to stop mid interview and tell her it was not going to happen. I did refer her to some websites on how to dress for an interview.

Good for you! I can't belive that some people think it's okay to wear something like that to an interview, or better yet pajama pants!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I was interviewing a job candidate when he received an audible text message and proceeded to take his phone out and answer it. Next in line!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    My last interview has resulted in over a year of awkwardness. I can't wait to quit this job.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    All of my own job interviews have been fine, but I used to be a recruiter and did a few interviews per day. the two that stand out the most:

1). When I asked for a copy of his ID, and joint fell out of his wallet and rolled across my desk. (I don't care if someone smokes weed, but don't bring a joint to an interview!!)

2). When I pried a little to figure out why this one girl had a large gap on her resume (like, a few years) she finally admitted that she had been working in the "sex industry". She didn't detail in what capacity. I felt bad for her, it must have been really awkward telling me that!

I also had many people who came in dressed wildly inappropriately.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not the most awkward interview ever but easily the best: Ziplining guide. We showed up...and ziplined for two hours. It was mostly awkward just because I was dressed up. Luckily I had tennis shoes and a shorter jacket (I was wearing a long one) in my car and they let me change.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I was interviewing a job candidate when he received an audible text message and proceeded to take his phone out and answer it. Next in line!

Oh yah, I had this happen to. I sat there and waited while they scheduled another job interview! I wrapped it up right after that!