Low calorie TASTY oatmeal?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I'm just running out of ideas here. I like the texture of oatmeal, but I don't like the taste, so I tend to put too much stuff on it... I'm in love with oatmeal French toast (with one egg and vanilla extract and maple syrup) and I like it with a lot of unsweetened cocoa and sugar too, but obviously... I have to cook it with milk and all that stuff adds pretty much 300 calories to the oatmeal, and doesn't really make it more filling (even though the French toast version has 20g of protein).

Is there any low calorie way of making it taste good? I've tried apples with cinnamon, it just doesn't cut it, even with two packets of stevia. It tasted like cardboard with apples to me.

I just like it because it's more filling than cereal, and easy to make in the morning, but at this point I'm about to give up...

Replies

• dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i make mine with chia seeds, chocolate protein powder, PB2 (or peanut butter), banana and a bit of milk

really tasty and you can make it as low/high cal as you like
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always make my oatmeal with water and when it's cooked, add in a scoop of my vanilla protein powder. It comes out to 260 calories and carries me through to lunch. I really enjoy it, have you tried using your protein powder?
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Look up some overnight oatmeal recipes. I don't have any off the top of my head, but they look pretty good.
  • billingbear
    Options
    Oatmeal French toast sounds awesome - can you share the recipe, pretty please?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like adding fruit butters to mine – you can make your own or look for it in specialty foods sections. I have used pumpkin butter, apple butter and peach butter. I always add a complimentary nut as well. Because fruit butters are generally pre-sweetened, I don't add sweetener. But the butters tend to distribute better in the oatmeal than fresh fruit.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love plain oatmeal so I don't experiment much but I have found that one tbsp of PB is awesome - it melts right in there. Mmmm. Sometimes I'll add a banana to it as well.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A little bit of honey is nice in plain oatmeal.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Look up some overnight oatmeal recipes. I don't have any off the top of my head, but they look pretty good.

i have tried a bunch of these and they are all pretty good. my favourite is the cherry chocolate!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always make my oatmeal with water and when it's cooked, add in a scoop of my vanilla protein powder. It comes out to 260 calories and carries me through to lunch. I really enjoy it, have you tried using your protein powder?

Yes but nope, lol, not a fan.
    Oatmeal French toast sounds awesome - can you share the recipe, pretty please?

I just mix one serving of oats with 1 cup of milk, one egg and some vanilla extract, microwave for 3 minutes, and add some maple syrup. I found out I need 20g of it or more to make it really good though...

I definitely got to try the fruit butters. Thanks for the tip! And just with honey... that sounds good too.

I've done overnight and I'm always disappointed in the morning, but I don't have chia seeds. I keep wanting to buy them and changing my mind, I always get stuff stuck between my teeth as it is...
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I found I didn't need all the toppings when I made it with sweetened soya milk. It came out already extra creamy and sweet and I just added a little jam. It's not the healthiest, but chocolate spread is my favourite topping.
  • Lisacare
    Lisacare Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I actually do not like oatmeal, but lately because it is easy and filling I have taking pain oatmeal, water, a whole banana, and cinnamon. I cook that in the microwave, depending on the banana sometimes that's good, or sometimes I add some stevia. I find it very yummy, comforting, and filling. Good luck :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You could try it with unsweetened Almond milk instead of cow's milk. Only 35 calories in a cup. Less protein than cow's milk though.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal - brown sugar and cinnamon. It is 160 calories per packet and is easy to make!
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    I have recently discovered this blog:

www.theoatmealartist.com

I have only tried the brownie batter oatmeal (AWESOME!) but there are so many recipes I'm sure you'll find something you'll love.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like apricot preserves and chopped walnuts.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    While my oatmeal is still steaming from cooking, I put one tablespoon of almond butter into the mix. I stir it around so it "dissolves" and makes the whole bowl taste nutty and almondy. Then, I throw in some craisins for some sweetness. I think the nut and fruit combo is perfect!
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I never thought about the protein powder. I bet that is good!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Defrosted blueberries. For some reason they make it taste completely different, and make it blue which is kinda cool, and I have a bunch of them from last summer I'm trying to clear out of the freezer.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of steel cut oats in the crock pot/slow cooker every weekend - makes about 5 hearty servings, around 300 cal each

Ingredients
    1 cup dry steel cut oats
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup chopped pecans (or other nuts
    2 granny smiths, cored and diced (leave skin on)
    1 sweet potato (see directions for details)
    cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg

Directions
    Par cook sweet potato in microwave. Be sure to pierce several times with knife/fork. Cook for 2 minutes on high then flip and cook another 2 minutes. Let cool and the peel will come off easily. Then dice up and add to crock pot.

Add all other ingredients, stir and cook on low for 5 hours stirring occassionally. Turn off crockpot and let oatmeal mixture sit and cool and continue cooking for another hour. Cooking overnight is ok too - I just find sometimes the ingredients separate so all the oatmeal is on the bottom but you can mix together when done.

Note re: spices - I don't measure them, just sprinkle until there's a layer of each on top of the other ingredients. Maybe 1 tsp each? I left them out one time and the flavor was quite blah. So even if you don't like some of my other ingredients, maybe adding some spices to your oatmeal would help punch up the flavor.

Other options for mixins - banana, raisins, craisins - also blueberries but add them after cooking or they may be too mushy

Not sure what kind of oats you're using but I find the steel cut have a nice texture and flavor while the rolled/quick oats are quite bland. Something to consider...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with 300 calories for your daily oatmeal? That's not a lot. Mine adds up to about 240 calories and all I add is 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and cinnamon. I make my own instant oatmeal "packets" that already have brown sugar and sugar free powdered coffee creamer in it already. It tastes pretty darn close to those sugar laden Quaker packs of oatmeal. I'm thinking about adding some PB2 to it eventually.