Putting the leftover x-mas cookies in the garbage??

Options
Hello all-

I have 2 tins of Chirstmas cookies/breads/fudge sitting on the kitchen table. The past two days I have eaten something(s) out of it. I really do not want to eat anything but because it is sitting there I keep eating it. (If I don't have it in the house I don't eat it!) Has anyone else thought about just throwing away those holiday leftover sweets? I feel bad about wasting it all but I need to get back on track!

Replies

• SJSchwartz
    Options
    Re-gift it? Give it away to a neighbor?
  • Bethy25
    Options
    I have totally done that before! Go for it, it's actually kind of liberating! The only bad thing is a day later when you are having a major sugar craving, it wont be there...but i guess that's actually a good thing!
  • PixieFen
    PixieFen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OOOH! If you have the will power to throw away those cookies - can you come over to my house and do the same?! I'm in the same boat as you...I just can't bear to throw them away but I just don't have the will power to keep saying "no"!

I'm headed to an informal New Year's party on Friday night, I think I'm going to bring all the cookies over for everyone to "share"...just so I can get them out of my house (yet not throw them away).

Next year, I'm going to ask that all my friends send my share of the cookies to a shelter or food bank or something...ugh...it sucks having amazing bakers for friends and absolutely no will power to eat only one.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eat one a day - it's not going to make that big a difference - it will make you happier - and it does not go to waste. Diet's are not about taking the fun out of life - it is about learning to say when.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done this before. I guess the only saving grace was that they were about a week old, and getting kind of nasty anyways.

L.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Alot of people have posted this...I say either keep and be careful with them or box them up and take them to the food bank. I hate hearing people say they're throwing stuff away if it isn't going bad. :flowerforyou:
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My husband is my own human garbage lol, he eats it all for me.
  • christenapanzone
    christenapanzone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If there is no one that you can give them to I say throw them out!
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    I think I have eaten most of the good ones anyways. There is a peach jam bread and some homemade reeces that are mainly left in good eating shape. I think I am going to bring it with to my part time job tonight and let everyone in the office dig it....they will eat anything!

Happy New Year!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Take them to your church, a homeless shelter, a women's shelter, etc. Donate them.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest. Give 'em away or throw them out. You don't need them and like you said- if they're not there you won't eat them!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Office, freezer, or trash. Good Luck!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    TRASH!!!! I was gung ho and just found some cookies in the kitchen at work!! I ate two before I even realized it!?!?!?! WHAT?
    TRASH CAN BOUND so it doesn't happen anymore.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you can't donate them, throw them out. And don't feel guilty about it -- it's no less wasteful to eat what you don't need! You're making your body into a trash can when you do that (I'm talking to myself here, too, by the way).
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hard to estimate calories on those suckers. That makes them dangerous.

If you're going to give them away, make sure whoever you're giving them to doesn't have a policy about food being in original packaging. There's a lot of paranoia out there, sadly.

The most important thing for us MFPeople is to keep consistent. Sometimes that means that being economical (not throwing food away) has to come second.

I'd say that if you can't foist them off on the neighbours etc., ditch them. Down the garbeurator. It's a gesture of significance.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I do this every year. I either put it in the freezer in the garage
    or throw it out. Out of sight out of mind. This is my mantra and
    it works for me. Don't feel guilty at all, it is sugar and trans fat
    you are throwing away. Both are very bad for you.
    Maybe you can send it on to an underdeveloped country.
    Just an idea, but I don't know if they will accept it. :noway:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    To the Garbage I Say:smokin: !! No none needs anymore of the sweets, everyone at the Mission and the homeless and the other shelters and the Nuns and teachers and, and and everyone else that you could even begin to think of or that will be suggested on here etc. They've all had their fill and some might even be on here trying to dump their own loot! Sugar is junk for our bodies, an occasional treat is nice but platefuls really don't help anyone of us. It's time... :wink: Success is there but the cookies don't seem to work well with success so I say dump those bad boys and start fresh today with no more treats!

LOL Going by your subject line the thought of the trash can seems to have entered your mind already.:tongue:

ALL (OK almost all) those foods can be made anytime of the year. Unhealthy food on our bodies is wasteful, I feel far more so than putting it in the trash can. After being on this site and losing a large amount of weight I've seen a lot. I think sometimes the old habit of feeling we have to eat it all 'THEN' start over pop up on occasion but what if everyone starts fresh right now and gets rid of the treats that hinder our success.

Yes I'm very passionate about this! Why? Because it scared me when I saw so many ppl saying they wouldn't be logging last week, or for a number of days or until New Years. Whaaaaaa??? Why stop logging because of a Holiday, makes no sense! We're here to learn new patterns of healthy eating right? When better to practice that then on Special occasions:drinker: :wink:

Then now I see so many ppl struggling to get back to regular logging and eating good foods it's so sad. But when I used to eat the junk I never ate it for a day, it became a binge, so now I have an occasional treat, log it, enjoy it and be done with it. There are some that can eat a treat and portion out the rest for a month. But many can't so why test ourselves if we know we're not ones that can do that?

This has turned into quite book on after Holiday eating:laugh: so it's more a general post than one toward only your question but I think it might help others in making a clear thinking decision through the sugar fog so many are still in.

I meant all that I typed passionately NOT unkindly but please no more sugar to the homeless shelters, the last thing anyone needs that has very little money to buy healthy food is fudge and donuts and other crap. How is it that the lower income bracket folks are made to eat the simple carb foods that are most unhealthy. Very sad... :noway:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I do this every year. I either put it in the freezer in the garage
    or throw it out. Out of sight out of mind. This is my mantra and
    it works for me. Don't feel guilty at all, it is sugar and trans fat
    you are throwing away. Both are very bad for you.
    Maybe you can send it on to an underdeveloped country.
    Just an idea, but I don't know if they will accept it. :noway:
    Woo Hoo a member after my own heart!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I took it to the soup kitchen (call ahead to be sure) they were very happy to get it. I usually just throw it in the freezer, though, and then i can find it a few months later.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I took it to the soup kitchen (call ahead to be sure) they were very happy to get it. I usually just throw it in the freezer, though, and then i can find it a few months later.