Cutting out the sugar and carbs!

So I've been actively logging for a whole month and I told myself once I accomplished daily logging for a month I would start to get serious about what I was actually eating instead of just watching the calories.

Now I am cutting carbs and sugar DRASTICALLY! I've been paying attention to the sugar on everything I eat like a maniac. I'm finding it super difficult to only eat 20 grams of sugar and 88 grams of carbs everyday ( this was suggested by a few websites such as bodybuilding.com for fat loss while lighting heavy more than once a week).

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for how to cut out the sugar and maybe tricks that you use to help squash cravings for carbs and candy?

Thanks!
Emilyjoy

Replies

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    I try to stay around 100g of carbs per day due to my PCOS, and find that making sure I eat enough healthy fats helps a lot with feeling full and cravings and stuff like that. I don't buy "reduced fat" or "fat free" anything, and I love eating avocados, almonds, peanut butter, etc and I also cook with regular butter and/or extra virgin olive oil. Not sure what to say about the sugar - I've never had much of a sweet tooth, so sugar has never been much of a problem for me. It's the sodium I usually have to battle =) Good luck to you.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    by not eating the surgary food, your appetite will go down shortly.

In the meantime, when im hungry I eat some cheese sticks you find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. The fat seems to help calm my hunger.

also Fage Greek Yogurt even with fruit, seems to curb hunger too.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Concentrate on eating foods that are naturally low carb and not low carb "products". Replace high sugar/carb foods with vegetables and good quality fats. If carb cravings continue after a week or two you're probably not eating enough fat. If you feel weak or dizzy you're probably not getting enough salt.

Here's a great beginners guide of what you should be eating when you lower your carbs:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • editorkim
    editorkim Posts: 27 Member
    Cucumbers with avocado spread (or guacamole), nuts, seeds, unsweetened yogurt with almond milk. KIND bars (the Nuts and Spices variety are low sugar) when your sweet tooth is out of control. I also read recently that the scent of sandalwood can help squash sugar cravings, so get some incense or essential oils and give it a shot. Also, cravings are said to last only twenty minutes, so if you can find a way to distract yourself for a little while, do it. I went low-sugar in February and have dropped about 11 pounds. That's after dieting for two years prior and only losing about 15 pounds through calorie restriction and exercise alone. I was called a liar for saying my deficit is the same on this very board yesterday, but it is. And I found this study today, coincidentally. (Too bad my topic was locked.) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140330151318.htm

Some berries are fairly low sugar, too, so those are a good go-to for sweet tooth attacks. But I can tell you, just about three or four days into avoiding all sugars, your appetite will stabilize and you will be amazed at how much easier it becomes to meet your goals. I was meeting mine before, but I was HUNGRY. Not anymore! :) Good luck! You can do it!!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    So I've been actively logging for a whole month and I told myself once I accomplished daily logging for a month I would start to get serious about what I was actually eating instead of just watching the calories.

Now I am cutting carbs and sugar DRASTICALLY! I've been paying attention to the sugar on everything I eat like a maniac. I'm finding it super difficult to only eat 20 grams of sugar and 88 grams of carbs everyday ( this was suggested by a few websites such as bodybuilding.com for fat loss while lighting heavy more than once a week).

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for how to cut out the sugar and maybe tricks that you use to help squash cravings for carbs and candy?

Thanks!
    Emilyjoy

If you've been logging/countingcalories through mfp the past month to help you eat at a deficit cutting carbs and candy but still eating the same amount of calories isn't going to help you burn fat any faster. i suggest a more balanced approached and allow yourself things you love in moderation.