Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Ive lost 4lbs which I assume is just water weight. And since then the scale has not moved, and my measurements are the same.
Ive been consistently working out and staying under my calorie goals.

Please tell me if Im doing something wrong. My dairy is open for anyone to look at. Ive been doing crazy amounts of research trying to figure out what Im doing wrong, but its all getting confusing. I feel like the more research I do the more confused I am because every one says something different.

Im open to any suggestions. I desperately want my body back and Im not willing to quit this time.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal is at 1200 and you are consistently eating BELOW that already low number. How tall are you? How often do you workout? How are you measuring your calorie burn when you workout?

Help us to help you.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but some of the things that stood out to me is #1, you are not eating enough...seems counterproductive huh? But you do need to eat more to fuel the body. #2 - I would quit skipping breakfast if I were you. And #3, you don't eat hardly any protein. By adding both of those, you will get closer to your goal and help fuel your body which in turn will help you lose weight. I'm over 100lbs over weight with a lofty goal of 2lbs per week and my min is set at 1600, not counting my exercise calories. Most days I average between 1300-1500. I struggle daily with the mindset of eat more to lose more, but I'm trying. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?

How are you measuring your portion sizes? A food scale would be idea, but measuring cups are better than eyeballing.

Are you eating back any of your earned exercise calories? If so, what method are you using to estimate your burn?

Is there a medical reason you're eating so little? Are you under a doctor's supervision?

Do you know your TDEE and BMR? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you measuring your food? I noticed in your diary that you have a mixture of grams and cups, often for the same kinds of foods. Are you just estimating? You could really be underestimating how much you're eating.
  • maya166
    maya166 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am estimating when it is grams. Whatever I can measure I am measuring using tablespoons and cups. I am 5 2, 23 years old and I weigh 167 lbs. I workout at least 6 times a week. Usually an hour a day, Ive been doing a mixture of hiit workouts, and JMs Burn fat boost metabolism. And days where I am too tired to do hiit I do 5 mile walk with leslie sansone or do a shorter hiit for 25 mins instead of an hour. I am calculating my calories burnt just by entering it into mfp. I dont usually eat back my exercise calories because I am certain mfp overestimates the calories Ive burnt.
  • maya166
    Options
    My tdee is at 1856. I think maybe I eat too much bread and rice, should I maybe cut it out of my diet or at least lower my intake of wheats
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eating or not eating breakfast has nothing to do with why your not losing. That is more personal option than something you have to do. And you don't have a whole lot to lose so it will be a bit harder. How long since you've lost a lb or even a few oz? Personally I'd say just stick with it for a couple more weeks and see what happens. Sorry I don't buy into the eat more to weigh less. Just my opinion
  • justinhatchett
    Options
    I think your TDEE estimate is a bit high (unless you are averaging in exercise and not adding it separately). Try www.keto-calculator.ankerl.com and ignore the keto part of it if you arent interested in that.

Honestly you have a very small deficit which means you will see very slow weight loss. Assuming you are 155 and 35% bodyfat, then your body can supply up to 900 calories of deficit per day - so your minimum intake is 70g protein, 30g fat, and enough carbs/fat to get total calories above 850. Add exercise separately and make sure the net stays over 850.

Good luck, feel free to message me with questions.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My tdee is at 1856. I think maybe I eat too much bread and rice, should I maybe cut it out of my diet or at least lower my intake of wheats

is that with the percentage taken off already or is that number for maintaining. Does that factor in your exercise? If you havent taken off a percentage for weight loss and you did include your exercise then you should be eating 1500-1600 calories, not lower than that
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am estimating when it is grams. Whatever I can measure I am measuring using tablespoons and cups.

BAM! Get yourself a food scale and WEIGH your food, don't measure dry ingredients. You definitely need to eat more, though. 1,000-1,100 calories per day is not enough even for someone who doesn't exercise at all.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. It's going to be okay.

No you do not eat too much bread and rice. You are not anywhere near going over in your carbohydrates and you do not need to cut them out.

There are no bad foods. All things are beneficial in moderation.

I do think your overall calorie intake is too low. And you definitely need to increase your protein. Your muscles and organs will thank you.

I notice that you are either not getting enough water or you are not logging what you drink. This is critical. At 167 lbs you should be drinking about 80 oz of water every day.

Invest the money in a decent digital food scale. A good one will set you back about $25 but it is worth it. Estimating grams is essentially impossible. Once you start weighing your solid food in grams or ounces you will be stunned. Measuring cups are good for liquids and powders but worthless for solid and chunky food. I would be willing to bet you a banana that you are actually eating more than what you think you are eating. Not being harsh, but it happens. I was floored once I started weighing my food. I keep my scale on the counter so I have easy access to it for everything I need to weigh.

If you are using MFP for the calorie burn amounts you need to know that those are notorious for being overly high. So, you are probably not burning as much as you hope.

READ THIS: The following post should be emailed to everyone within the first week of coming to MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Do not lose heart. You can do this. It is trial and error for all of us at the beginning. And further down the road you will need to make adjustments again. Stay with it. Send me a friend request if you'd like. Community is HUGE!

Hang in here.
  • maya166
    Options
    According to http://www.keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ my bmr is 1463 tdee is at 1755 when I put my activity levels at sedentary , even though I do workout for about an hour 6 days a week.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale and start weighing all your food, this will help you A LOT in the long run. Digital scales are fairly cheap, I got mine on sale for $15.00. Log ALL your food accurately and try your best to stay in your ranges and you will see the scale move. Don't forget to measure yourself too! Just because the scale doesn't always move, doesn't mean your body isn't shifting.
  • maya166
    Options
    Part of the problem is I am staying with a relative for the rest of the summer and she cooks the meals so Im not always sure how much of each ingredient she puts into the meals. It was easier when I prepared my own meals because I knew what I was puting into my meals and I can no longer do that. Aside from salads and such I make myself I dont really know what Im eating, so I just try to eat less of whatever is prepared for each meal
  • maya166
    Options
    I will look into ordering a food scale online asap. Im a little confused with the tdee and Bmr and such. So my bmr is 1463 tdee is at 1755, this tdee has been calculated at a sedentary activity level not including my excerise at all. How many calories should I be eating if I am at 167 and at 5 2.

I will also start recording my intake of water because I do drink a decent amount of water but not everyday. It could help to start keeping track of that.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Buy a digital scale that converts grams and ounces. That really helps to measure. You may have set your TDEE too high. Mine is supposed to be 1600 but it is WRONG. My doctor and I have discussed it and he agrees that sometimes we aren't "normal".
    Play with that. after 20 years of diet failure (and I am a nutritionist) and failed WW and Low Carb etc....I found 5:2. It made all the difference for me. I am healthy BMI now, 46 pounds lighter and only 9 pounds to go. It went against everything I always believed in dietetics but guess what IT WORKED and I have never felt better. Do some research and check the community of MFP. The most supportive people and no one will tell you to eat more because it it BS. Find your target that works for YOU and work it smart.
  • maya166
    Options
    Whats 5:2?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is I am staying with a relative for the rest of the summer and she cooks the meals so Im not always sure how much of each ingredient she puts into the meals. It was easier when I prepared my own meals because I knew what I was puting into my meals and I can no longer do that. Aside from salads and such I make myself I dont really know what Im eating, so I just try to eat less of whatever is prepared for each meal

Yeah, here is your problem. It is difficult to know exactly how many calories you are eating when someone else is preparing your food. You could let your relative know that you are counting calories, and ask if you could help with preparation so that you can better estimate your intake. That would help.

Also, how long have you been restricting calories? If you lost 4 pounds in a week and haven't seen the scale move in a few days, then you just need to be patient. Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you lose, some you maintain, and some you even may gain a bit.
    If you have been stuck at 4 lbs loss for several weeks, then you are underestimating your calories consumed. So cut back a bit, or find a way to track them better.
    Don't lose hope, you will get there!
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eating or not eating breakfast has nothing to do with why your not losing. That is more personal option than something you have to do. And you don't have a whole lot to lose so it will be a bit harder. How long since you've lost a lb or even a few oz? Personally I'd say just stick with it for a couple more weeks and see what happens. Sorry I don't buy into the eat more to weigh less. Just my opinion

I was suggesting to eat breakfast since it appears she is struggling with getting enough calories. I've had days of 1000 calories, but I try not to let it be my norm. Everything that I'm being told on here is that no one should be eating 1200 day, let alone less on a consistent basis.
  • maya166
    Options

Yeah, here is your problem. It is difficult to know exactly how many calories you are eating when someone else is preparing your food. You could let your relative know that you are counting calories, and ask if you could help with preparation so that you can better estimate your intake. That would help.

Also, how long have you been restricting calories? If you lost 4 pounds in a week and haven't seen the scale move in a few days, then you just need to be patient. Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you lose, some you maintain, and some you even may gain a bit.
    If you have been stuck at 4 lbs loss for several weeks, then you are underestimating your calories consumed. So cut back a bit, or find a way to track them better.
    Don't lose hope, you will get there!

I will ask to do that. I think I need to be more patient and try to count my calories better. Its been a little over a week and I havent lost any weight. I was just feeling demotivated and it made me momentarily not want to do my workout today and eat whatever I wanted. Im glad I didnt give in.

I really appreciate all the helpful advice everyone.. Sometimes you just need to talk about your frustrations and have the support and encouragement of other people. Not to mention its great to hear all the different ideas and ways to help improve my diet and workouts.

Please add me as a friend if you would like, send me a message and we can help support each other keep each other accountable. Thanks everyone :smile: