I don't understand

Options
I have been steadily losing weight slowly and healthy but I went over my calorie goal for two days this Christmas week and ended up gaining 5 pounds! I don't know what happened. Two days shouldn't add up that quickly! I'm at a loss for words.

Replies

• countjackula
    Options
    I have been steadily losing weight slowly and healthy but I went over my calorie goal for two days this Christmas week and ended up gaining 5 pounds! I don't know what happened. Two days shouldn't add up that quickly! I'm at a loss for words.

In two days of overeating? The weight is most likely food in your system (ick, lol) or your body retaining extra water. No matter what though, it's nothing to stress over. Without meaning to sound callous: if it returns to your pre-Holiday weight you can continue with your progress, which sounds like it was going well... if it doesn't return to your pre-Holiday weight, then there's nothing you can do about it now anyway except STILL return to your regularly-scheduled progress.

Bottom line? Get back to business losing weight slowly and healthily. :)
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    You're right. Unless you ate 17,500 more calories (3500=1 lb) over the weekend than you were allotted it is NOT possible. It's most likely water weight from increased sodium in the meals you indulged in. Drink extra water today and weigh again tomorrow.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its caused by water retention from Sodium
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I consumed 160oz of water yesterday and dropped 3+ pounds.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

I have done this! Sure does flush out your system doesn't it?? :bigsmile:
  • carrieann8080
    Options
    sodium is a killer! don't get discouraged just keep moving forward! My weight fluctuates a lot too!
  • Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    I didn't go over calories but still gained 2 pounds. It was different stuff I was eating (more sodium in it all, I'm sure!). I got back on track and those 2 pounds are already gone. Like has already been said. . . get back in the swing of it and drink lots of water!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I have done this! Sure does flush out your system doesn't it?? :bigsmile:
    Umm that's all I heard was flushing.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    my body did the same thing this weekend! i weighed in on monday and was 3 lbs heavier than on friday...not possible i thought!! i've been drinking a huge amount of water the last 2 days hoping it just comes back off!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You're right. Unless you ate 17,500 more calories (3500=1 lb) over the weekend than you were allotted it is NOT possible. It's most likely water weight from increased sodium in the meals you indulged in. Drink extra water today and weigh again tomorrow.

She's absolutely right!
  • marniehodges
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...drink lots of water. Doubtful it's actual weight gain. No need to panic...been there, done that and it ended up being bloat from all the sodium! Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • brighta
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I was a little down but I found the answers very helpful. I'll get back on course and drink plenty of water.:smile:
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options

You're right, that's exactly what happened. Water, water, water it will help push out everything.