success stories fro 40 plus for inspiration

Options
jonnyman41
jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
What you did please and how it has worked, either from those making great progress or already there. Sorry should say for not fro!

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, started this just over 2 years ago at around 265lbs, maybe higher, I lost 110lb by basically eating less, making better choices and working out. No crazy diets, no pills. Now I'm concentrating on muscle gains so I've put on some weight. Though I can eat more, I still try to make better choices. Even though I weigh more than I did 20 years ago when I was a runner and a triathlete, I feel much better about my body, I'm smaller and leaner. Pick up some weights. They do a body good.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    at 45 years old, i lost 90 pounds in the course of 9 months by learning my calorie level and proper nutrition/macros/exchanges , and eating exactly what i was supposed to, no more no less and no excuses, no whining or complaining. and i went to the gym every day and busted my *kitten* doing cardio and eventually weight lifting. Losing that weight was one of the easiest things i have ever done for myself. super easy, just eat your calorie level forever,
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've lost 44 lbs by being more aware of what I'm eating trying to eat to live not living to eat BUT still having things I really like but not to extreme. I really don't want to be extreme & then just freak out thinning I can never do this of the read of my life so I have things I want but try to balance it out. I also work out using body weight ( planks, push ups ... ) and use kettle bells to do squats as well as i found a gym that does functional training and that really helped me
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Great topic to post Andrea. Will be keeping an eye on this one. I'm hoping to carry on the way I have been with a steady weight loss just as long as I don't have to deny myself anything x
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have lost right at 40 pounds so far by staying within my calorie range and adding in light exercise. It is a lifestyle change and not a diet for me. Good luck. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, I lost 118 pounds counting calories by using this web site. I did light exercise only, mostly walking. It took me about 15 months to lose it. Since I am not a big exerciser, I did 1200 calories for the first six months,then did 1300 for the rest of the time. I had one day a month, where I ate what ever I wanted, but still logged it. I also used a scale for all my food, and measured everything.
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. Started on MFP around March 2012, counting calories and doing mostly cardio. Started lifting in summer 2012 and found it much less boring. Dropped 35 pounds by year-end 2012 and have kept them off. Now tracking maintenance calories and working out 5 -6 days a week. Before I started this journey, if someone would have told me that I would enjoy exercising, or that people I work with would be asking me about my "weight loss secrets", I would have thought they were nuts.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Great topic to post Andrea. Will be keeping an eye on this one. I'm hoping to carry on the way I have been with a steady weight loss just as long as I don't have to deny myself anything x

It seems that for most people it is still a slow and steady process that works. For me that has not been working too well but I am seriously coming to the conclusion that I need to drastically cut down on wine (or vodka ) as though I keep it in my calories normally (mostly) I think it is that that is scuppering any losses! Will be worth a try at least
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would say the one big difference for me is that I don't drink every week, I can go 2 or even 3 weeks without having any alcohol, don't know if this is what helps x
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this!!!
  • cindyfew2
    cindyfew2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and just started The Doctors Diet by Dr. Travis Stork it is perfect for me. Lost 19 pounds so far, feeling great. Heathly stuff.
  • des10705
    des10705 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 49, going to be 50 at the end of the month.
    New Years 2013 I gave up Chicken Parm and French Fries as a New Years Resolution.
    Never looked back.
    Then I joined a gym and started on running on the treadmill 4-5 days a week.
    Slow at first, and when the weather got better I went outside.
    Its a lot harder running outside, but better sites.
    I eat better food, I tell my kids that veggies and fruits are FREE.
    Usually my plate at home is 3/4 full with veggies and salad.
    Lots of water, cut out diet soda two months ago, now its flavored club soda.
    My starting weight was close to 260 and now 18 months later I'm down close to 205.
    I was hoping to get below 200 for my 50th, don't know if I'm going to make it by then.
    Slow and steady wins the race
    Its hard work,
    But the pain goes away but the bragging rights last forever!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I turn 42 this year as does my wife. We lift together, hit our macro and calorie targets, and enjoy great food.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and lifting progressively heavier weights.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    started at 40. Followed MFP's recommendation of aiming for 1 lb loss per week, ate back exercise calories, took up running and strength training, and never once ate as low as 1200 calories
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm 45.

Started 7 years ago at 237lbs with Nutrisystem, and after 1 month realized I could build my own menu using their nutritional labels as a guide. I continued using Nutrisystem's online food and exercise diaries for tracking.

In 2012 Nutrisystem stopped letting non-members (i.e., people not paying for their food) from using the online trackers. Someone mentioned myfitnesspal.com & I've been here ever since.

Tracking is THE KEY. Every time I stop tracking for a week or two, the laziness ensues & the weight goes up.

I was down to 171 this morning. My wife & I are currently running a 3 days on/ 1 day off exercise routine, alternating Spartacus workouts with 5 mile runs. I also bought Bob Harper's Skinny Meals & we're about to finish Week 2; and I've dropped 9 lbs. He knows his stuff!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i find this one successful and inspiring.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLEJ6UN-VMNMY7dLSqz9FipJa3qVYOkbY1GvDXZSYTgbiGfPMW
  • dcshellz
    dcshellz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic been looking for something similar.
  • lottylulu1969
    lottylulu1969 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    brilliant post,bumping this for later as im finding it very difficult at 45 and trying to lose a stone,i seem to be maintaining at 1200 calories and doing 30 day shred everyday and dog walking.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, just before 40 I joined Slimming World with the aim of losing 40lb (I was 198lb). I have lost 70 in total, and become a fitness junkie. I started doing Wii Fit at home (curtains closed), then started jogging, and joined a gym when the weather got cold. I have maintained it for 2 years, despite holidays, injuries and a new addition to the family. 2 weeks ago I completed my first sprint triathlon - slow and steady, but I did it (and now I think I might be hooked).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!