Portion Control? Yeah, right...

Options
I know it's only day 2 for me, but is anyone else having problems with portion control? I ate a cup of cheerios with a 1/2 cup of skim milk. Still hungry. Followed this with a banana. Yep, you guessed it - still hungry! I am on vacation (last day, thank goodness!) and I could literally go into the kitchen and eat everything in sight! I'm sure I'll do better when I'm back at work and thinking about something else, but in the meantime I'm really struggling with this. Please help!

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Ditch the Cheerios and eat protein for breakfast. That's probably why you're starving. :flowerforyou:
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I suspect most of us have problems with portion control. That's why we are in the mess we are.

When I started losing weight it meant measuring and weighing food and suffering through the hunger pains. You simply have to decide that you are going to do this, even if it hurts.

No one said it would be easy. It is much easier to eat everything you want, when you want it.

Personally, because of my age and medical conditions, I know that I will be doing this forever, even as maintenance. I am still hungry a lot and must resist the urge to eat. It would be too easy to backslide.
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After a couple of weeks, your appetite will change. Since you are eatting less, you will start to feel fuller sooner. I started about 3 months ago. I find that now when I eat I actually push the plate away and can't finish my plate. It will get better.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and eat extra protein to keep full. Here's a site to help you out a bit.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There are so many yummy and filling options. I just had a piece of whole grain toast with a bit of butter, a slice of cheese, a mountain of egg whites, avocado, and tomato, and a side of grapes for breakfast. 375 calories according to the counter, and I'm stuffed! Cheerios and a banana is more of a snack I'd say.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I eat a Quaker Weight Control oatmeal packet and an apple every day for breakfast and it keeps me full for hours.
    I would suggest upping the fiber and protein.
    Steph
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was hungry a lot at first because I had a big problem with portion control, I never ever felt full. But it gets easier and easier and finally you get used to eating a normal portion of food. Also I agree, cherrios fill me up now but would never have worked for me in the beginning.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Ditch the Cheerios and eat protein for breakfast. That's probably why you're starving. :flowerforyou:

I agree!

It's definitely hard at first, but eventually it will get easier when you know how much a real portion is. Try to eat healthy, filling foods - the best way to avoid hunger is to have a good mix of protein, healthy fats and non-processed carbs (or as little processed as possible) with EVERY snack/meal. Remember that fruits/veggies are carbs! Think an omelet with veggies mixed in and a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter on veggies for a snack, almonds are a great snack too - carbs/protein and fats all in one! You get the picture. :smile:
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Like you said, it's only day 2. It will get easier. You have to remember to drink lots of water, and remember the reasons you want to do this. Sometimes it's all about your will power and motivation. Also, after eating, make sure you give yourself enough time to figure out if you really are hungry...or if you just needed a little more time. Sometimes after I eat my mind says I'm still hungry because I don't think I really ate that much, if I just wait a little bit I usually find out I'm not actually still hungry.

Good luck on your journey!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I guess I'm just used to thinking a "portion" is what the restaurant plops on your plate before they hand it to you. Maybe the water will help -I think I'm just going to grab a bottle, find a room to clean, and turn on the iPod.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    There are so many yummy and filling options. I just had a piece of whole grain toast with a bit of butter, a slice of cheese, a mountain of egg whites, avocado, and tomato, and a side of grapes for breakfast. 375 calories according to the counter, and I'm stuffed! Cheerios and a banana is more of a snack I'd say.

That's an awesome breakfast! It would keep me full and happy. This morning I had an Amy's tofu scramble. That was pretty good. I was also thinking earlier that Greek yogurt would be great breakfast food because a cup is 24g of protein or so.

Also, I might mention that you may want to make sure you're doing snacks. I eat 5x a day, and this also helps. Always include protein with your snacks as well. Your issue really sounds like the blood sugar roller coaster I go on from too little protein / too many carbs.
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good idea !!:flowerforyou:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Part of it is learning what will give you the most "bang" for your caloric buck and part of it is slowly moving down portion sizes and readjusting yourself so that smaller portions are enough.

The person who suggested protein for breakfast is smart- i usually do 2 eggs or slices of PB toast- but I also spent the summer slowly decreasing my portions without looking at calories. Some people just push through it, some do it like I did- slowly but with less results.

Either way, ditch the cereal- try oatmeal with fruit if you like your grains 1st thing, otherwise, stick to protein if you can.
  • sziemba1
    Options
    Yes, I agree with ditching the flour based breakfast foods. They do not fill you up. Go buy some Eggbeaters (any flavor that you like). make yourself an omelette with 1 cup of the eggs . You can add some vegetables, mushrooms, or shredded cheese. If need a side dish add cottage cheese or slices of tomato. The omelette will be big enough to cover a dinner plate and will not leave you starving.
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    The hunger will ease up over time. I found that measuring and weighing EVERYTHING and recording it here BEFORE I ate it helped me to get a grip on portion sizes and made me MUCH more aware of what I was putting in my mouth. Also, as other said, making smarter food choices that are more filling but still low in calories will help. Be sure to drink lots of water also BEFORE and AFTER you eat.

Good Luck! You can do it!

Mary
  • MaryMary11
    MaryMary11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you on the breakfast! I need to change mine as well. I fought off the hunger by drinking a diet coke, pobably not the best option, but at least it was calorie free :tongue:

I like the idea of an omlette in the morning. Would fresh eggs be as good as a choice as egg beaters?? I always have eggs on hand, but not the egg beaters. I need this diet to work with the life I have.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Cheerios, skim milk, and banana= low protein, which I have found = high hunger. I'm not on a low carb diet, per se- but I definitely limit my simple carbs and up my fiber and protein, and my hunger level certainly decreases eating this way.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    You could try some veges in your omelete or
    scrambled eggs. High in the protein and
    fiber I would suggest. Lots of water and
    get out and exercise. Baby steps.
  • OneFitLady
    OneFitLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We ditched the flying saucer sized dinner plates and exchanged them for salad plates instead. This is one way to control portions, you still get a plate full of food, just a smaller plate.

I also have heard to put everything (including dessert) on your plate at one time, this is supposed to avoid "second servings".

A tip for portion control at a restaurant, immediately portion control your plate. Scoot anything you are going to eat over to the side, then dump salt on the portion you will not be eating. This avoids you being tempted to "pick at your food".

I have been known to eat non-traditional breakfast foods, such as veggie soups with barley which is a huge filler. Or a turkey sandwhich with avocado as the spread on whole wheat bread and spinach instead of iceberg. Some people can't do this, but I find breakfast foods are usually low in fill power or high in sugar.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I really didn't even think of protein for breakfast. I'm a cereal girl - have been my whole life. But, since I ate the cereal for breakfast, I think I might just try that omelet for lunch! It sounds amazing and since I'm at home today I actually have time to do something like that. The water and house-cleaning helped a lot. Thanks, guys!