I'm gaining weight on a 1200 cal diet!

Options
Hi, another "Argh I'm gaining weight halp!" question here;

[I'm kind of on a schedule for weight loss- I need to lose weight for the Police force in the UK, their standard health regulations say that I need to have a BMI of 30, so I need to drop around 8 kg in order to be able to work for them. Doing 40-60 mins cardio a day, recommended daily calorie in-take is 1200 according to MFP]

About 2 weeks ago, I was recovering from a nasty cold which had made me stop exercising completely for a week. I weighed myself and I was at 85.6- I'd lost a good 4 kg in a month and a half, so happy me.
Then I started back exercising, and since then, my weight has started creeping up from 85.6kg to today's weight of 86.9kg!! I know I'm probably weighing myself too much if I'm able to accurately track this weight gain, but I'm absolutely shocked by this given that I'm eating healthily and I'm including swimming as a new exercise as well as my stationary cycle. Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to end up at my old weight and be back to square one.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You started a new exercise routine. Slight weight gain after starting a new routine is completely normal. Your muscles are storing water for repairs. You need to give it some time. If you give it another week, keep the same routine and still don't lose weight then you might need to re-evaluate some things.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Honestly, given your age and not knowing anything else besides the info you've given, I would probably guess you're not eating enough. I can't see your diary, but if you're measuring your portions and you're sure of the calorie counts, then maybe try upping your calories. Do you eat much salty food? Sodium will make you retain water and it shows on the scale. At your age and weight, I would be almost certain you're not taking in enough calories.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Uhm, may I ask if you are in "that" period?
    Water retention during those days, for me, means at least 1.5/2 kilos more than usual...
    Or, they say that starting exercise bring other water retention.. yes, you were exercising before, I don't know if the stop for the cold can give you the same effect...

Anyway, are you sure of 1200 cals? They may be 1-too few for you 2-you may be eating too much without knowing? Are you measuring everithing and logging everything? Are you eating back the calories from exercise? (you should)
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It could be that most of the weight gain happened when you weren't exercising (and possibly eating more?), you're just seeing it now.

Are you logging, weighing and measuring everything accurately?

Are you eating back all or some or none of your exercise calories?

The scale will fluctuate wildly over days and sometimes weeks, it's the trend over months that matters most. Or so I tell myself!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Insert joke about Police force and doughnuts here............................................
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If your honest about your intake, weighing and measuring.
    Stop weighing yourself for at least a week.
    The exercise idea above sounds possible.
    Menstruation effects all women by at least a kilo in their cycle.
    Stop weighing yourself all the time, its a mistake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you weigh and measure everything using scales?

the weight gain is water retetion in your muscles from starting exercising again.
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation here ( minus joining the police :D ) I started exercising and gained 2 kilos the 1st 5 - 6 weeks and people told me exactly the same; it is water retention from your muscles getting ready for what we were inflicting upon them! after that initial period now I am loosing little by little (which is what i want since I have a low goal).

So I'd say don't worry keep doing.

And I am with the rest; 1200 cal is way too low. You should eat more, otherwise what you are doing is forcing your body to go to starvation mode and the moment you eat a bit more your body will produce as much fat as it can for just in case.

Don't do that to your body.

:huh:
  • Moarenergy
    Moarenergy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public and we can critique your meals. Easier then saying I ate this and didnt eat that.
  • Pentdad
    Pentdad Posts: 23
    Options
    Not to say that crash diets are good, because they are not. But you are getting advice that to lose weight you need to up your calorie intake. This contradicts the laws of physics...

EDIT: I know what people are trying to say by the way, I just think it's the wrong way of saying it. Like if you have a full tank of fuel in a car, you will burn it up quicker if you drive fast (crash diet). If you drive slowly, it will slowly decrease, but your engine will be healthier long term (a life change).
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    LOL, I guess I should have said "At 1200 calories, I didn't lose an ounce. When I upped my calories to 1550 based on my BMR and TDEE, I found some success" : )
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    LOL, I guess I should have said "At 1200 calories, I didn't lose an ounce. When I upped my calories to 1550 based on my BMR and TDEE, I found some success" : )

Right! It's a confusing concept when you're first starting.

Essentially, if you're eating too low calorie, your body is reluctant to let go of the fat/energy you have stored. This causes weight loss to eventually become sluggish, not to mention the other taxing effects of such a dangerous number.

When eating at a number that is right for you based on factors such as height weight and age, your body releases said fat/energy stores because it isn't sent into panic mode that it is "starving" or in a famine.

Edit: Also, I bet you're burning a ton of calories doing your cardio. Are you eating any of it back? If not, it's almost certain you're not losing weight because you're burning TOO MUCH! haha.

Water retention, eating too much sodium, and what stage of your monthly cycle you're in are also factors, but I'm willing to bet it's that you're not eating enough. Look into the group "eat more to weigh less" on this site!
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink enough water could you glasses try to get at least 8 ( juice and milk and stuff count) drinking plenty of water helps stop water retention i know it seems made but it seems to work
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    It's a tough one without knowing what you're eating exactly. It doesn't make sense that you would stop losing on a diet of 1200 calories. Sometimes weight stalls for a couple of weeks and then re-adjusts so you may just need to give it more time. There could be a number of reasons for the scale going up though such as cortisol, water retention, general fluctuations...are you measuring too? The scale should not be your only indicator of weight loss. I don't think weighing every day is bad at all, unless you become obsessive and get really upset at the fluctuations. But weighing in every day is actually the best indicator of what your weight is doing. Weighing once a week isn't foolproof because that one day you might be retaining more water or something.

Also, you've just lost a good chunk of weight in one month. Weight loss slows the more you lose and is not linear. If you're not eating back your exercise calories your body may have reached a point where it is over stressed and therefore fighting back harder to retain your current weight. It's highly unlikely you are gaining fat if you are in a deficit though, that just isn't possible.

Make sure you're getting enough protein to repair muscles after exercise, try incorporating strength training into your workout routine as opposed to just cardio and maybe try lowering carbs a bit if you are eating high amounts of those.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

It's impossible to tell you what's going wrong without more information, but I promise it's not that 1200 calories is making your body store and create fat.

Do you have a time limit on when you need to lose this weight? While 1200 is not what's causing your issues, you can eat more than that and will feel better fueled for your workouts.

Are you weighing or measuring your foods? Logging everything? Any chance you forget to log some items if you don't pre-log (me?)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you are storing water...from the exercise

no you don't go into starvation mode that is a myth...your body wont hold onto fat at low calories otherwise we would have people who look like skelatons from starvation.

as well if you truely are eating 1200 and not losing...you wont lose at 1550 either...
  • robyn_kuscher
    Options
    Okay, well I haven't been logging as much as I should be, but what I have is pretty stereotypical of what I eat in a day. My diary is now public. I don't know if that's of use to people. I don't tend to measure exact amounts, but if it's carbs (so pasta, grains or rice) I get the food scales out.

The 1200 calorie thing was given to me by MFP, so I'm a bit confused about why it would tell me to do that if it's an unhealthy amount to be eating... I don't have a time limit, but I've heard that the police are ideally looking for me to start in "the summer" (they weren't any more specific than that), so I've been aiming to lose the weight by then.

The water retention theory is comforting, as it means it'll just get better after a while, but I'm going to try and up my fruit and veg intake anyway just in case I'm eating too many carbs.

As for menstruation... I'm on the contraceptive pill, and have been for 3 years, so I don't think that's the problem.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Okay, well I haven't been logging as much as I should be, but what I have is pretty stereotypical of what I eat in a day. My diary is now public. I don't know if that's of use to people. I don't tend to measure exact amounts, but if it's carbs (so pasta, grains or rice) I get the food scales out.

The 1200 calorie thing was given to me by MFP, so I'm a bit confused about why it would tell me to do that if it's an unhealthy amount to be eating...

You are probably eating more than you think you are since you aren't logging and don't measure everything. I don't say this to be mean, it's just that research shows that the majority of us suck at estimating what we are eating mentally. Weight loss success goes way up just by adding in logging in a food diary.

Are you eating your exercise calories? I disagree that 1200 is going to hurt you, but with MFP, you are supposed to eat the exercise calories too. (Some just eat 1/2 back to account for overestimating on the equipment or the calculators.)
  • robyn_kuscher
    Options
    I didn't know I was supposed to eating all of it back... I always thought that was the wrong thing to do, and have heard that from other weight loss-related sites. I always assumed it would render the exercise pointless, especially with swimming as it makes you get an appetite.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

weigh EVERYTHING, and log it! you're probably eating more than you think