PhD Diet Whey and stomach pain.

Options
Hi guys,

I've just started a weight training program and have also started using Phd Diet Whey again. I'm eating very clean and doing the weights 4 times a week.

My stomach though recently has started hurting like crazy and I mean unbearably. No runny stools or nausea just pain. PAIN!

Could it be linked to the Diet Whey or just too much protein in general?

Any help appreciated.

Replies

• SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Going through your last few days your sodium intake is through the roof is it normally like that? How much water do you tend to drink a day? it maybe a form of dehydration or because you're reintroducing a form of food/fuel to the body your stomach doesn't have the enzymes to digest it properly. i'd give it a little longer if it persists i'd consider going to see your doctor.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it could be the protein powder, or any new food you've added to your diet. Stomach pain without other GI symptoms could also be from stress.

try temporarily removing all new foods from your diet, then introducing them one by one and see what happens. If the whey powder is the only new thing then don't take it for a while, see if the pain goes away, then take it again and see if it comes back.

if this doesn't work then see a doctor. It could be totally unrelated to your diet.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In because it's the brand I use.
  • warriorknight
    Options
    Could be the protein, but then again it could be just down to your changing habits. I know when I started to "detox" by eating cleaner, and training harder I had a few stomach problems as I adjusted.
    Try eliminating the diet whey for a week and see if things improve. If they do, introduce it back into your diet, and see what happens. If it doesn't improve after eliminating it, then you can rule out that as the root cause.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    I hadn't noticed it was so high.

I'm eating more veg and chicken etc. Mostly natural foods.

I drink around 2 litres of water at my desk a day.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    Going through your last few days your sodium intake is through the roof is it normally like that? How much water do you tend to drink a day? it maybe a form of dehydration or because you're reintroducing a form of food/fuel to the body your stomach doesn't have the enzymes to digest it properly. i'd give it a little longer if it persists i'd consider going to see your doctor.

I hadn't noticed it was so high.

I'm eating more veg and chicken etc. Mostly natural foods.

I drink around 2 litres of water at my desk a day.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    Could be the protein, but then again it could be just down to your changing habits. I know when I started to "detox" by eating cleaner, and training harder I had a few stomach problems as I adjusted.
    Try eliminating the diet whey for a week and see if things improve. If they do, introduce it back into your diet, and see what happens. If it doesn't improve after eliminating it, then you can rule out that as the root cause.

I only use it on training days and yesterday I was fine and didn't have it.

Seems it could be the cause.

Although I used it originally about 8 months ago and had no issues other than a bit of constipation.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Whey is not particularly good for the body. Try changing to a non dairy protein shake or eat more beans and pulses. Sounds like your body can't tolerate it. I use a vegan protein shake.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    Whey is not particularly good for the body. Try changing to a non dairy protein shake or eat more beans and pulses. Sounds like your body can't tolerate it. I use a vegan protein shake.

Is it possible to just not use protein shakes?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Yes. protein shakes are not necessary, many people just use them to supplemeent the protein they don't get in their diet.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

Yes. protein shakes are not necessary, many people just use them to supplemeent the protein they don't get in their diet.

I think I might ditch it. I'm eating really clean so that should be enough.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used PhD Diet Whey for 1 month and found it had a lot more artificial sweetners and thickeners.... Just generally more "chemical" looking, tasting and feeling. I dumped it for a pure whey powder from bulk powders.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    I used PhD Diet Whey for 1 month and found it had a lot more artificial sweetners and thickeners.... Just generally more "chemical" looking, tasting and feeling. I dumped it for a pure whey powder from bulk powders.

Noted thanks
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    UK RDA for sodium is 2,400mg - yours is set to 2,500 and you went over 6,000 on Tuesday - I know if I ate that much salt I'd have wicked stomach cramps. the main source for this sodium is processed foods - processed ham and pizza is def not clean eating
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    UK RDA for sodium is 2,400mg - yours is set to 2,500 and you went over 6,000 on Tuesday - I know if I ate that much salt I'd have wicked stomach cramps. the main source for this sodium is processed foods - processed ham and pizza is def not clean eating

The pizza was my treat night :p

The ham I'm eating might not be the best then. :/

What should my sodium be at?
  • elliej
    Options
    Realistically unless you have heart trouble you shouldn't /worry/ about sodium, but it can bloat you and make you retain water and give you stomach cramps. NHS recommendation is 2,400mg sodium (6g salt).

Items 'high' in sodium/salt are contain more than 1.5g salt per 100g (or 600mg sodium)

I appreciate you have treats and they can be worked in, but I also notice from your diary you aren't *consistently getting that much protein, so would hesitate to recommend you cutting out the shakes. Read up on maintaining/building muscle mass, most research suggests eating at least 0.7g protein per pound of your weight.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    Realistically unless you have heart trouble you shouldn't /worry/ about sodium, but it can bloat you and make you retain water and give you stomach cramps. NHS recommendation is 2,400mg sodium (6g salt).

Items 'high' in sodium/salt are contain more than 1.5g salt per 100g (or 600mg sodium)

I appreciate you have treats and they can be worked in, but I also notice from your diary you aren't *consistently getting that much protein, so would hesitate to recommend you cutting out the shakes. Read up on maintaining/building muscle mass, most research suggests eating at least 0.7g protein per pound of your weight.

Thanks for taking a look.

What foods can up protein more than the obvious ones like chicken etc.

I should be aiming for around 240g protein a day.
  • elliej
    Options
    Any meat that's not processed, particularly lean cuts
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Mozzarella
    Lentils/black beans/other pulses
    Nuts (not peanuts, it's not a nut)
    If you're feeling adventurous tofu/soya
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Quinoa.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    Any meat that's not processed, particularly lean cuts
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Mozzarella
    Lentils/black beans/other pulses
    Nuts (not peanuts, it's not a nut)
    If you're feeling adventurous tofu/soya

Thanks. I'm so new to this side of it. I've lost all my weight on better eating and cardio.