Do you need a gym?

Options
paulainks
paulainks Posts: 26 Member
I've been "trying" to lose weight for 2 years now. Really it's been a battle for nearly 15 years.

I'm not consistent in my efforts. 3 to 10 days of good solid progress and 3 to 4 days of "whatever eating". Is it better that I join a gym or get a personal trainer? I've been avoiding the expense but maybe that is what you have to do? I'm 37 and have 50 pounds to lose. All of my family is morbidly obese. I think I have age and genetics stacked against me. It just seems like I'm getting no where.

New to MFP because it can sync up with the body media fitbit. Any thoughts, did a personal trainer help you or were you able to lose weight without a gym membership?

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Does the thought of having a trainer or going to the gym sound like something you're going to look forward to? Personally, I think folks who pick an activity (sports, dance etc...) and get "in shape" for it are more motivated than someone who just shleps to the gym because they think they "should". Just and idea! Good luck.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think a person needs a gym or personal trainer. Start walking more, reduce calories, park your car further away from the store--It all adds up. Also there, are lots of people on this site over 30, over 40 and over 50 who have lost weight so age is not an excuse!!! Age just means you may have to do things a bit differently.
  • TheSageMage
    Options
    To "Get Fit" and "Get in shape" a gym helps, but for weight loss, no one needs a gym, or even needs to exercise. It helps, but I have a saying I tell people "It's easier to not eat 200 calories than it is to exercise 200 calories". Again, exercise does have the benefit of helping your body, but in terms of weight loss, cutting calories is going to be the easiest option in my opinion.
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You don´t NEED to go to a gym, but for me it helps because I feel like I have more energy and that I´ve accomplished something.And that does a lot for my conscience when I´m having a treat. When I first started on MFP I just went for daily walks. Slowly but surely I added more distance to my walking route. Then when I felt ready I started going to the gym. I haven´t got a personal trainer because I don´t feel like I need one right now. What really made the difference for me when I started going to the gym from the times I went before was that I did some research and decided what I wanted to do. So instead of just going to the gym and go on one machine for 4 minutes without really know what I was doing and then wander around the gym wondering what I should do next I now know what machine I´m using, for about how long I´ll be using it and what goal I am going to reach on that machine. Having a goal in the gym makes you more determined and focused and more importantly motivated. For me it was the C25K program and you don´t even have to do that in a gym. I´m almost 32 and also planning on losing about 50 pounds. Don´t use age and genetics as a scapegoat. You can lose weight regardless of that.Consistency is key. Good luck.
  • erinelissa91
    erinelissa91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels comfortable to you. If you feel that a personal trainer would benefit you, give it a try. I personally, am not very motivated by someone telling me what to do, what to eat, and when to do those things. I prefer to do things at my own pace and in the privacy of my own home.

If you decide agains't the gym, you can motivate yourself to stay on track, at home. Make a motivational wall where you have your goal, your progress, quotes, etc. And don't forget that it is okay to indulge every once in a while. Keep that in mind. I always look forward to my "food reward" at the end of the week, the same way a runner looks forward to the end of a race I suppose. It's like a reward for doing so good.

You can do it. Hold yourself accountable for your actions, keep a physical journal of food and exercise and keep it in a place that you will see regularly, or in the kitchen to remind you of your goal. If you need motivation or just want to talk, feel free to let me know! We are all here to support one another.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and have had someone show me a routine to use to help achieve my goals. Been going for about three weeks now. I go every second day for an hour.
    If you are wanting to give it a try, I suggest finding a gym where you do not have to have a membership. So if after a couple weeks you feel the gym is not really for you, you won't have to pay a lot of money for cancellation fees.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i will try to make it very simple.

1) eat fewer calories than you burn

2) exercise at least 2-3 times a week - this does not have to happen in a gym. i do step aerobics and bodyweight training at home and it works great for me! i love not having to go somewhere and being able to do it anytime with no money spent (apart from the initial 30 euros for the step)

3) get enough protein (+exercise) so youll keep most of your lean mass while losing fat, instead of losing muscle first. here is what helped me figure it out: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

4) eat real nutrient dense food, no processed/fast food, sodas, etc..

5) dont eat too little, your BMR should be covered: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

you cannot out-exercise a bad diet!!

hope this helps :)

ps: it really is not about age or genetics. ive seen women on here who were 45 and had the body i wanted at 17.. ;)

edit: because i cant count to 5 :D
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    First, you need the will power to do the work and succeed. A gym will not help if you are not ready to commit and see it through, nor is a gym or trainer needed.

I highly suggest you read this link and then decide:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally . . . I feel that it takes MUCH, MUCH more than going to the gym when your goal is to lose weight.

Weight loss (at least in my experience) firstly requires being in the right place, mentally & emotionally. Or at least being motivated to GET yourself in the right place mentally & emotionally. If your life is hectic, do things to make your life easier. Try to get better sleep. Don't take on so many responsibilities in your household, and instead start delegating if you can. For me, my lifestyle kept me from losing weight for a long time; I was always stressed out and tired. Until I did something about it and changed my circumstances and general attitude toward certain aspects of my life (change what you can, and accept what you can't change!).

If you're already there, that's great; now you can work on changing your eating habits. Make small changes here and there (e.g. go for skim milk instead of the full-fat version; work on your portion sizes, etc.). What you eat is most likely going to play a bigger role in your weight than how much you work out.

Do I think that going to a gym right now will make you lose weight? Well, that depends on whether you have your eating under control. You can exercise all you want, but if you're still eating more calories, per day, than it takes for you to maintain your weight, then you're out of luck.

With all that said, a part of me DOES feel that if you do go to the gym and get a trainer, you will at least be surrounded by positive people (hopefully your trainer(s) lol) who believe in you and who will push you. You'll be exposed to other health conscious people and maybe that will rub off on you and set you in the right direction.

Good luck, and hope this helped.

EDITED TO ADD:
    You know what, exercising will definitely make you feel better in general. It's definitely a mood booster. When you're exercising, you're feeling much better in general-- and when you're feeling much better, it becomes a WHOLE lot easier to eat well.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Go running. Costs zero....
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First, you need the will power to do the work and succeed. A gym will not help if you are not ready to commit and see it through, nor is a gym or trainer needed.

I highly suggest you read this link and then decide:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I agree. A gym membership or trainer won't do any good if you aren't ready to commit. I just joined a gym and booked some sessions with a trainer. I told myself I'd have to commit for 30+ days and lose at least 20lbs to prove to myself I was ready to spend the money. My reward was a treadmill at home, a gym membership, and a trainer to show me the basics of lifting. I didn't want to waste the money until I could show myself I was in this for the long haul. So far so good.

Make yourself a deal to commit to changing your eating first. Once you're making consistent progress there and know you are committed, then a gym can't hurt to help you progress.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to eat less. You can spend 3 hours daily at the gym, then go back home and eat bags of junk food and still gain. But, a gym or a personal trainer or a dietician could help you not lose your motivation. If you know you are supposed to be at a class at a set time every day, or expect to discuss your diet, routine etc with a professional, it could help you to follow your schedule and diet.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I need an ice free place to run. Since I have a membership I use the machines for weight training but I'm a runner and there are exercises that can help you get into form without a machine. I don't need a gym 9 months a year, but it's good to be there and it's dirt cheap I wind up paying like 40 dollars a YEAR after my health insurance benefit. it would be 20 bucks a month otherwise...

I just don't go the first monday of the month, the gym is stuffed full of people who don't go the other 30 days of the month and are just there for the free pizza.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    You don't need either of those things. What you need is motivation.

So what is going to motivate you?

Maybe to start out, paying for a personal training and having that weekly appointment that you have to make is going to motivate you.

Maybe just paying a monthly gym membership is going to motivate you.

Maybe making appointments with friends to go walk around the park and stop for some circuits (push ups, crunches, jumpingjacks, whatever) will motivate you.

You have to ask yourself the right question.
  • jigglesnwiggles
    jigglesnwiggles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been very successful since May 2013 with losing weight and I do not go to the gym. I actually workout at home with BeachBody programs. I am a coach and over private challenge groups on Facebook where we give you daily support, motivations, inspiration, accountability and me as your FREE coach! I have one team member that just hit the 50lb weight lose mark and another at 40 lbs! If this is something that you think may help you out, send me a message.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I once signed up for a gym membership, and it came with three free personal trainer sessions. I spread those out over three months, with the trainer creating a programme for me to use in between sessions. I did really well. But after the three months, when I no longer wanted to pay for the PT sessions, I lost motivation, slacked off going to the gym, and when I did go I wasn't pushing myself. Ended up having to continue paying for membership for several months when I wasn't actually going - ouch!

About a year or so later I did what a lot of people do and signed up for gym membership in January (yep, sorry to all the regular gym-goers who hate the January influx!). On my way into the gym I happened to meet a lady who was starting a beginner's running club - we got chatting and I signed up. Her sessions were really cheap and because her enthusiasm was so infectious, I kept going to that club for over a year until she finally wound it up because she got a new job. I barely used the gym membership, again, and ended up paying for something I wasn't using.

By this time though, I was getting pretty good at running, and through my trainer and friends, I started running with other people. I still run today (although I have had temporary lapses, admittedly!). Most times I go on my own, but I do interact with other runners from time to time, whether in real life or just with friends of facebook or whatever.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that I think it's the motivating effect of other people that keeps me motivated to work out, not the fact I am paying for a gym membership. I also play netball - I love it, and because I'm part of a team, i can't let the team down if I feel 'meh'. I have also recently become part of the Blogilates community (online pilates videos) and even though the community is a virtual one, the trainer (Cassey Ho) is so inspiring and motivating that it really does feel like she's coaching me personally - along with all the other users of the community.

So, while I don't knock the gym, it didn't work for me without a trainer - and they can be expensive. You can do most things you can do at a gym in your own home, or by going out for a run or a cycle, or by taking a class, or by doing a team sport. For me, interaction with other people is the key!
  • jigglesnwiggles
    jigglesnwiggles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oops, Sorry! I didn't realize that I was not allowed to post that I am a BB coach and offer you support. I tried to delete my last post but I can't.
    Please except my apologies!
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, no. You can actually do that with diet/calorie restriction alone. I personally think it's harder that way, but it is possible.

To improve your physical fitness, you have to exercise, but you don't necessarily need a gym.

Some people think if they join a gym it will give them some measure of accountability - like "I'm spending money here so I'll go" - but that seems to be a small percentage of people, as gyms make a fair amount of money on people who sign-up and then don't go. But if you're one of those people who's driven by not wasting money, it might work for you.

Personal training is a little different, because then you have an actual person you're accountable to - "I have to show up or Roger's going to think I'm a slacker/be disappoints/mad/etc.". This does work for some people. Although there are still people who will buy training packages at gyms and just never use them. So, if you're one of those people who's really focused on never letting someone else down, this might work for you.

What it amounts to is knowing yourself and what makes you tick. And you have to be brutally honest about it, otherwise, you're just going to end up spending a bunch of money and likely just being disappointed with yourself.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts, did a personal trainer help you or were you able to lose weight without a gym membership?
    I was able to do it without a gym membership, but that's just me. My son has a trainer and it helps him. He has to pay the trainer whether or not he shows up and so he shows up. His results are startlingly good.