Bought a food scale... now what?

Options
Just bought my very first food scale! Happy to say I've been under portioning my cheese haha but sad to say I've probably been eating 2x the amount of meat that I've been logging. Someone told me these portions: 3ozmeat, 3oz carb (rice, sweet potato) and cup veggies.

Really just wondering what my portion of meat should be approximately for one meal? I want to start meal prepping.

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It'll depend upon your own macros and what protein you've had at other meals but around 100-150g sounds about right.
  • brittany2188
    Options
    I ate 2 oz of chicken yesterday that I thought would for sure be 4 oz. I guess I'm not good at eyeballing... Good thing I have a food scale :laugh: I think 4 oz of meat is the "general" serving size.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well now that you have one here are some tips and hints that could help.

weigh uncooked where possible...and ensure the entries reflect raw/uncooked. Such as pasta, rice, meat etc.
    if you can't weigh uncooked/raw make sure you use the right entry to reflect how it was cooked.

I love my zero/tare button and typically put my dish on the scale, add one thing, zero it out etc.

For me there is no set amount based on weight that I consider a good portion. It all depends on what it is and what I need to hit for the day.

For example one day i might eat 127g of shrimp, but the day before it was 200g...I could eat 100g of chicken or maybe 200g...it is all about where I am for the day.

I prelog my meals tho usually 2 days in advance so I know I have hit my macros and are within goals.

The only other thing I will say is when I started using a scale...I found I was under estimating the carbs I was eating and over estimating the meat.

ETA: weigh all solids even prepackage items like sandwich meat, canned tuna, bread etc you will be surprised at how off the packages can be...not all are but most...for example my canned crab says it's 100g drained ...yah no it's about 76g...and my crackers one sleeve was bang on the next one was off by at least 5g per serving...5 crackers=19g per package it was actually 24.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When you first use the scale, just use it to record what you are actually doing. Once you have done that for a few days, you can see where you are with your macros. Use that to make changes that are sensible for you. E.g., add in a little more meat, reduce your sweet potato, etc., whatever brings your actual consumption more in line with your macros.

Don't base it on what someone else said. Base it on your actual consumption, your macro goals, and what you will do. Then you can meal prep to hit your targets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever you feel like and fits your macro. Sometimes I eat 3oz, sometimes 5, totally depends what I'm at that day.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess it does make sense to adjust according to my macros. Right now I have them set at 35/35/30 so I'm going to try to do approximately 4-5oz of meat which is what I've been tracking to meet them.. but apparantly I've actually been eating 6-8 so I've definitely been going over my calories! Maybe that's why I have been at a stall. Thanks for all your advice!