Beat the mindset of binges

Options
Trying to follow the 80/ 20 rule. Most of the time be healthy but at times I CAN have a bit of a splurge or cheat . I think my rigid thinking around calories causes anxiety and triggers my binges . I need to remember that most of the time i can cook my own food and eat healthy , however at times like eating out or holidays I can't have complete control .... I have to allow others to prepare my food or cook at times . Otherwise I will set myself off on anxiety and preoccupation with food and calories creating the all or nothing thinking leading to me binging !Does anyone else have any experience around this? Or successful tips / advice ??

Replies

• HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I totally understand.

Your behavior and attitude reminds me of how I used to be:
    Very "black or white" thinking. "All or nothing." I was also perfectionistic. It used to be real bad when I was younger. I used to have anorexia. Then bulimia. Then anorexia. (Not recently; way back when.)

I don't have any specific tips to give you, I'm sorry for that, but I'll say this:

For me, it took a lot of work to be OK with things being in "grey areas." For things to be "good enough." To be "mediocre" in some aspects. Listen-- life can't work perfectly all the time. You can't be perfect all the time. No one can. No one IS. We all have faults in our own way, and that's a part of being human.

When you can accept this fact, you will have so much less anxiety (and believe me, I KNOW anxiety!). When you're less anxious, you put things into a different perspective. You're more relaxed. And the more relaxed you are, the less you freak out about -god forbid- eating a food without knowing how many calories are in it. When you're relaxed, you're less likely to let things like that throw you off track.

I don't know if what I'm trying to convey is being properly expressed.... but I'm trying here lol.

It's really all about acceptance of yourself and not being so dam hard on yourself. The more pressure we put on ourselves, the harder we make ANY task to be.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I find that logging a good workout and seeing what I have burned has helped with my eating. I don't want to undo all of that work. I used to have most of my calories at my morning coffee time and then before bed.

Working out and then eating crap just defeats the purpose of working out. But I do allow myself treats in moderation and if I do go nuts, I log it. That way I can see my progress as those times decrease.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I totally understand.

Very "black or white" thinking. "All or nothing." I was also perfectionistic. It used to be real bad when I was younger. I used to have anorexia. Then bulimia. Then anorexia. (Not recently; way back when.)

I don't have any specific tips to give you, I'm sorry for that, but I'll say this:

For me, it took a lot of work to be OK with things being in "grey areas." For things to be "good enough." To be "mediocre" in some aspects. Listen-- life can't work perfectly all the time. You can't be perfect all the time. No one can. No one IS. We all have faults in our own way, and that's a part of being human.

When you can accept this fact, you will have so much less anxiety (and believe me, I KNOW anxiety!). When you're less anxious, you put things into a different perspective. You're more relaxed. And the more relaxed you are, the less you freak out about -god forbid- eating a food without knowing how many calories are in it. When you're relaxed, you're less likely to let things like that throw you off track.

I don't know if what I'm trying to convey is being properly expressed.... but I'm trying here lol.

It's really all about acceptance of yourself and not being so dam hard on yourself. The more pressure we put on ourselves, the harder we make ANY task to be.

I dont know if it helped the OP but this speaks to me!
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Similar to what others have said...if I eat something and don't know how many calories are in it, I usually assume I have ruined my day and then I get into the f*** it mentality and eat everything. What helps me with that is estimating how many calories are in the food before I eat it (maybe by searching MFP and getting a kind of average), and then logging it. Even if my estimate is off, I still feel like I am in control and aware of what I am eating. Even if my estimate is off and I'm over by a hundred calories or whatever, that's still way better than being completely in the dark and then saying f*** it and eating everything and being over by a thousand calories.

I think for some of us, the whole relationship with food is never easy, but it can get more manageable. Good luck! You can do it!
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I totally understand.

LOL! I don't know if it helped the OP either, but I had a feeling she's in the same place.... maybe when she said this:
    "Otherwise I will set myself off on anxiety and preoccupation with food and calories creating the all or nothing thinking leading to me binging !"

That's what got me thinking.... :)
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I totally understand.

Me too!
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and then beating yourself up over it does more harm then good. You binge eat, get depressed about it and then the cycle continues. (At least for me) I'm attempting to "trick" my own mind. I think educating yourself about nutrition and healthy foods is key here. The more Im learning about the differences in healthy and unhealthy foods, portioning, macronutrition etc. the more Im genuinely starting to want those unhealthy foods at huge proportions much less. Educating myself is turning me off of disappointing myself. I also notice now that Im becoming aware of successful nutrition regimens I find myself focusing much less on the calories and more on just planning healthy simple meals. Go figure I eat healthy and it ends up being less calories anyways! BONUS! Keep your protein up- it decreases cravings!!! and what I mean about "tricking" myself. .... I focus on the energy and "lightness" I feel from eating well and then focus on the negatives of unhealthy foods, like the bloating, the grease, heartburn, lethargy etc....and in turn I lose the temptation!---most of the time! It does help though.....hope I helped ya!
  • nanlmille
    nanlmille Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are some foods that are binge-prone for me so I try not to ever see them--chocolate chip cookies, mac and cheese, ice cream. Too risky to have in the house! Also, if I do succumb to a dessert or high fat something, I force myself to log it in and be accountable. And to eat less later that day to minimize the damage to my daily goal.

It may be obvious, but having relatively healthy foods always at the ready (raw carrot sticks, lowfat yogurt, apples, 100 calorie granola bars), it is sometimes possible to distract myself from whatever that thing is that I crave. And if I fall off the wagon and binge, I try to get back on the program ASAP.

Anyway, those are some my ideas to prevent binges, which are always lurking out there.:smile: