HELP! I think I'm out of control!!

Options
I lost around 18 pounds between the beginning of December and mid-February, but ever since then, I've been yo-yoing. I started a new job in Feburary which I know is a huge factor. I work doing personal shopping at a grocery store. The hours aren't very long, but I don't get regular breaks (today, for example, I got my 15 minute break at 3:40 even though my shift ended at 4; I tried to go on break closer to 3). I only have 15 minutes to eat lunch most days, and there's only so much I can eat in that time span. Between that and going 5-7 hours between breakfast and lunch, I've been struggling there. Today, for example, I was hungry by 6pm, even though I ate lunch just before 4.

I lost the first 18 (now 14) pounds through Weight Watchers with a couple of weeks of counting calories on Sparkpeople. Lately, I've been trying to figure out something that I can stick to. For the past two days, I've been eating mostly Paleo-friendly foods (I even ordered some steak medallions with veggies at Cheesecake Factory for dinner last night). However, I've been binging at night on junk food. It's not even a hunger issue. I was still STUFFED from breakfast when I started wanting to eat junk food.

I know my issue is a combination of not being able to eat on a regular schedule, stress from work, and working around a lot of my trigger foods, but I'm not sure how to overcome them. I thought switching to a paleo diet would help me because the higher fat foods do tend to be more filling than the low fat, WW friendly foods, but that's not 100% perfect yet, and as much as I hate dealing with the numbers, I've never been successful NOT counting calories or points.

I'm just starting to worry that I'm going to gain all the weight I lost back. I just don't know how to stay on track. I allow myself treats in moderation, so I don't think I'm depriving myself.

Replies

• Glossysweets
    Options
    Do you get to drink while doing your job? Like water or coffee or anything like that?

If so, I would definitely recommend making yourself a smoothie/shake and putting it in a nice container and taking it around with you. That way you can sip off of it and it will help curb your cravings or reduce any over-eating when you do eat.

If you don't get to do that then when you do finally get to eat have a large glass of water BEFORE you eat your meal and even though you are rushed try to eat slow enough to chew well. Also, include lots of veggies and protein which will keep you satisfied.

It's okay that you gained a bit of weight back...don't beat yourself up too much, at least you are taking the initiative on this and trying to rectify the problem instead of having to fix it later.
  • Chris_58
    Chris_58 Posts: 32
    Options
    Maybe try planning your meals a day ahead and stick to that, make sure to add in a snack so that you're not depriving yourself.

It sounds like you're making life difficult for yourself by restricting your diet, unless you have a medical reason to eat paleo, don't worry about it so much, all you need to worry about right now is calories in vs calories out.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to work some junk food into your paleo diet. Maybe you just miss them and a little junk food here in there isn't going to hurt.
    I know I couldn't just not have junk food at some point
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like a comfort/stress issue than a lack of control. If you are a personal shopper, can you put good foods in a cooler in your car? Maybe limit yourself to just having salads if you drive through and use your own low cal dressing?

What are you doing for exercise outside of work?
  • keya729
    keya729 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been in your boat! Trust me I lost 40lbs gained back about 15lbs between Christmas break and the New Year. It's becoming very stressful on my job which I'm sure that affects everyone, but for someone that's an emotional eater like myself it's very hard. I know that lately I've been making sure that I buy my snacks in bulk from my local Sam's club. I keep them at my desk now since you are a personal shopper make sure you eat before you leave to go shopping. I hope this helps and you can add me for more support if you like.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi. You know what you're doing if you've already lost 18 pounds, so keep doing that. :smile: I totally understand work related stress and screwy breaks. Here's how I deal with both of them, which may or may not work for you.

Work stress: I used it as an excuse for a while, now I view it as an annoyance. Looking at it differently is about all I can do until I find a different job, which I'm currently looking for. I bet a new job will have new work-related stress, too!

Difficult eating schedules: this is easy since we get zero lunch breaks at work. I'm in retail and the only "break" is when there are no customers present and that means time to straighten and clean. I bring Quest bars or cheese sticks, something I can scarf quickly and drink lots of water. I get my calories in before and after work. It sucks but that's life in the big city. I look at it as forced IF (intermittant fasting).

You can make it work, just look at what your reality is and fit yourself into it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what or when you eat it is all about how much you eat...

Set a reasonable calorie goal...meaning set your weekly weight loss goal to 1lb a week

I looked at your crabby logging...yah pretty blunt I know..

You are inconsistent with your logging, you use quick add calories...you don't log everyday, you eat way too much food...I saw one day you were at 4500 calories...

I mean looking at your diary on April 6th you logged 33,000 calories I mean really??? how is that accurate...

You also logged 1200 in chips...

I mean really now...how do you expect to lose weight with all the issues above...

If you want to lose weight eat at a deficet....
  • sebruce92
    Options
    RELAX! You will only put the weight back on if you totally give up. The 4 pounds you've put on recently will come right back off you if you switch your habits today.

I've read your post a couple of times but please correct me if i'm wrong!

When do you find out you shifts? I think they key for you is preparation. For example, on Sunday if you know your shifts for the week, buy and prepare your lunches for the week, therefore in your 15 minute lunch break, you will spend more time eating good food rather. Buy wholegrain foods like brown bread and make sandwiches, which are quick, easy and (depending on the filling) healthy! They will keep you fuller for longer too. While you're at in, plan your evening meals - you may find you make a homemade meal on evening for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch! - although try to limit your carb/fat intake in the evenings...

Also, i couldn't see any mention of exercise, what exercise do you do in the week? Adopting a regular exercise routine into your week is almost as important as your diet. It will ensure those 4 pounds you put on will come off quicker than just eating healthily!

Finally and most importantly.. congratulations on losing 14lbs! Don't let all the hard work slip away. You haven't let it go yet, so turn back in the right direction, keep going and treat yourself every now and then - everything in moderation...!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like a b, but 15 min is plenty of time. I regularly work 8-12 hour shifts with no break. I try to make room for things as I work like fruit, celery sticks, granola/protein bars, protein shakes and greek yogurt. You can certainly pack a lunch and have it in 15 minutes. Prepare food ahead of time for your break.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I track on Weight Watchers- although the 4,500 calorie day WAS not fake tracking. I had a binge day and decided to track it on here because it was easier.

15 minutes isn't too little time to eat something, but if I eat breakfast before work at 9am, and don't get lunch until 3:30, that's 6 hours. I usually get hungry around 4 hours after a meal, and the lunches I can eat in 15 minutes are pretty small, so I'm usually ready for another meal about 2 hours after lunch. If I had time to eat a large, filling lunch, I'd be better off, but I don't have the time.

Those bad days when I binge? Those are usually days when I don't get any break. I went one day about a week ago when I ate a very large brunch around 11am before going to work. I got off work at 6:30 with NO break. Then, I went out with my best friend for dinner. There was a wait, so it was around 8:30-9pm before I was able to eat anything. At that point, I was STARVING, and even though I didn't pick the worst item on the menu, I did eat half the basket of tortilla chips.

The reason I was considering Paleo is that I've heard that people tend to be less hungry eating more fat and fewer carbs (some people have to remind themselves to eat). I did notice that I get hungry later on when I have eggs fried in coconut oil compared to having the eggs with half a teaspoon of coconut oil.

As far as exercise, I have been trying (and failing) to get into a routine with Leslie Sansone DVDs. I also like going to a local park to walk a couple times a week with my best friend (usually around a 3 mile walk), and on days where the weather is bad, we'll usually walk around a mall.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider sneaking small snacks around the job.

I work in a chemical lab where no food or drink is allowed and we aren't given designated breaks for food. I put mealbars or pre-portioned packs of nuts/dried fruit in my pockets so when I "go to the bathroom" I can take a few bites. Trust me when I say no one will ask why you took so long going to the toilet, and if they do...screw them say you had explosive poops.

My point here is this: no job is worth starving over.

Eat when you get hungry.
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    I'm actually considering that. I can drink water on the clock, and I've had smoothies in the past, but I generally don't like having smoothies on a regular basis because I find that I need to add in a LOT of fat to make them filling- otherwise, they are no better than drinking water. I have a smoothie once a week at most- lunch Mondays since I weigh-in Monday night, and I don't want to eat anything too close to my weigh-in.

I just need some ideas for "pocket" snacks. Even Larabars aren't the best option because they get gooey with the body heat.

Although, the whole thing is still kinda weird. I don't typically snack between meals, and I've never felt an ounce of nuts was filling. Now, an ounce of nuts along with an apple and carrot sticks, and we're getting somewhere. Of course, I've also considered that my body may just need to adjust to having some nuts as a snack, and maybe it'll be more filling after an adjustment period.
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    Oh, and I don't drive for work. I just do the shopping, and customers either pick up the groceries at the store, or they get their groceries delivered (but I don't do deliveries). My job involves walking, bending, lifting multiple cases of water, etc. So, I do stay pretty active at work. Based on my Fitbit adjustment, I earned 400 exercise calories yesterday with no workout.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ok, so if you naturally get hungry about 4 hours after your meal, look into portable snacks. Whoever mentioned going to the bathroom to nibble - LMAO i love you.

If your job is what I think it is, you can probably have a little something on you while you shop the store. I see employees at my local grocery who appear to be fulfilling orders for pick up or for at-home delivery. Looks to me like they are more or less left to their own devices. Like the above poster said - -no job is worth starving over! You do what you gotta do!
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Totally been there myself. And it's frustrating. Just when you have accomplished so much, life starts throwing curve balls. Take a deep breath and try to figure ways to help you get back on track. For example, if food storage/refrigeration on the go is a hindrance, find cute little gadgets and containers to help make you feel better about your effort.
    For snacks on the go, I do Quest bars and Ostrim (beef and ostrich jerky, so good).
    And I still get TERRIBLY hungry sometimes. It happens. Our bodies just sometimes want something and want it NOW. Sometimes chewing gum or drinking water helps me get through to where I can get to my snacks, but sometimes I just have to get my mind off of it by finding something really brain intensive so my brain will have other things it is worrying about :)
    You're doing great, and yeah we all slip up. I do it more than probably an average person, but you can't change the past, you can only do better going forward. It's the kind of mindset we'll need if we ever want to maintain once we get to our goal weights. And no, it's not easy, I struggle with it all of the time, but maybe one day if I do good things for my body long enough, those actions will become more habit than a chore.
    Bleh, sorry for the ramble, I just am SO sympathetic to work/food issues. Have a great day!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Although, the whole thing is still kinda weird. I don't typically snack between meals, and I've never felt an ounce of nuts was filling. Now, an ounce of nuts along with an apple and carrot sticks, and we're getting somewhere. Of course, I've also considered that my body may just need to adjust to having some nuts as a snack, and maybe it'll be more filling after an adjustment period.
    Or your body just needs carbs to feel full. Carbs are not the enemy, and everyone has a different macro distribution that works the best for their body. Don't try to force your body to do something that isn't working for it. Just eat some carrot sticks.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I say it if you quit the binging, a homemade veggie/fruit smoothie (made that morning for yourself), would fill you up during work hours and hold you up until your next meal after a while. You need consistency somewhere and it sounds like the inconsistencies you can control are mixed in with the ones you can't right now. Take a moment to plan your meals at least a day ahead, get those veggie smoothies in so youre drinking a real meal while you work, and keep at it. Eventually you will get used to the routine even with all the variables at your job, and you'll actually begin to enjoy the food you eat rather than gorge bc you are "starving." Will power! You have it, so tap into it! It truly is a mental muscle.
  • skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I just need some ideas for "pocket" snacks. Even Larabars aren't the best option because they get gooey with the body heat.

I love the idea of pocket snacks! =) half an apple or baby carrots were my first thoughts too, but I was wondering if you'd consider wearing a spibelt, you could probably fit half a sandwich in there and a little side and eat on your rr break! I don't sell them or anything, but I love mine! I use it all the time to hold my phone,keys, etc. it doesn't move around and hides well under a loose shirt. Might keep your lara bar from getting gooey too.
  • honeylissabee
    Options
    It's actually more of a volume thing than a carb thing. I actually find that I'm pretty satisfied by a breakfast of eggs and veggies (pretty low-carb) as long as I have enough volume and enough fat. So, an ounce of nuts isn't a very large serving, but pairing it with some fruit or veggies makes it more filling more due to the volume than anything else.

I've tried Quest Bars, and learned that I can't handle the sugar alcohols (I already knew I can't handle sucralose) which is a shame because I wanted to like them.

I am planning on cutting back on my cheat meal. I normally don't get dessert or fries when eating out- aside from the one night a week, so if I can just cut back on my portions (splitting 1 dessert instead of 2) it might help during the rest of the week.

I do think I still want to give an 80%-90% paleo diet a try... I just need to ease into it a bit more.