How do you log your homemade food?

Options

Replies

• quirkysterks
    Options
    This is also difficult for me. I have tried using the recipe builder, but if you don't know how big or how many potions are in it what do you do? For example, if you see a recipe and it doesn't say how many servings it is, what do you do? If it is soup and you want the serving size to be one cup, how do you know how many cups are in the whole recipe?

Make your recipe and portion it out... then make those portions the servings for the recipe.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

Step 1: Open up the "create recipe" option on MFP
    Step 2: Log all ingredients that are going into the recipe along with the amount
    Step 3: Cook it all up
    Step 4: Weigh the complete cooked food. Look at the total calories for the cooked food based on ingredients. Divide the total calories by a number that gets me ~500 calories in a serving. Divide the weight of the cooked food by that same number to get weight per serving.
    Step 5: Use my food scale to divvy it up into portions based on weight to put one serving into different tupperwares
    Step 6: Pull a "serving" from the fridge and eat it, then use the recipe to log "1 serving" into MFP.
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options
    An alternative (which I have considered but haven't got round to doing) is to weigh each of your cooking pots and note down to the weights (or even Sharpie them onto the bottom).
    Then, when you've finished cooking your dish, weigh it all including the pot and then subtract the weight of the pot.
    You can then weigh your portion and work it out as a proportion of the whole.

Does that make any sense?!

(edited for spelling)

It totally makes sense, problem is I cook soups and chilis in such large batches that it's too heavy for my food scale and maxes out. hahahhah.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you have to weigh or measure the entire pot of whatever you made to determine the portions - a lot of times I base my portion numbers on the calorie counts, if it's a casserole for instance (I use rectangular pans) if the cals are low I can make it 4-6 portions if the cals are high then I make it 6-8 portions. Soups, stews, chili, anything like that I use my 2 cup measuring cup and measure it into the container I intend to use to keep it in the fridge, and I decide whether or not the serving sizes are by the calories again. Soups can be very low cal and you can have a 2 cup portion and still be under 400 cals.
  • A NKOTB would sing....Step By Step, Ooooo Baby....
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of homemade taco soup last night. This is going to sound super tedious, but this is what I did. I got a giant bowl, and started scooping the soup out of the pot and into the bowl with a 1 cup measuring cup, counting as I went. Turns out the whole soup had 8 cups, so I divided my recipe into 4 servings, at 2 cups a serving. Tedious I know but.....gotta do what you gotta do!

This is exactly what i do as well, tedious yes, horrible no, worth it yes. If you arent logging exactly what you are eating it can throw your calorie goal off without you knowing it.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    An alternative (which I have considered but haven't got round to doing) is to weigh each of your cooking pots and note down to the weights (or even Sharpie them onto the bottom).
    Then, when you've finished cooking your dish, weigh it all including the pot and then subtract the weight of the pot.

(edited for spelling)
    It totally makes sense, problem is I cook soups and chilis in such large batches that it's too heavy for my food scale and maxes out. hahahhah.

It's awesome advice, but yeah - I've got the same problem as you! My big cookpot weighs in excess of 3lb empty - easily maxes out even my "big" food scale. Not sure of the solution yet, so in for ideas.

At the moment I eyeball. Which is terrible of me, I know. I do a lot of homecooking (most week nights and at least once on the weekend). I have nine pages of recipes, and I tweak each one every time I cook it to make sure the total recipe is correct. And I still have to guess how much of the whole pot is my serving. I'm almost ashamed to call myself a consistent logger!
  • ichigomaybridge
    ichigomaybridge Posts: 22 Member
    Options

(edited for spelling)

It's awesome advice, but yeah - I've got the same problem as you! My big cookpot weighs in excess of 3lb empty - easily maxes out even my "big" food scale. Not sure of the solution yet, so in for ideas.

At the moment I eyeball. Which is terrible of me, I know. I do a lot of homecooking (most week nights and at least once on the weekend). I have nine pages of recipes, and I tweak each one every time I cook it to make sure the total recipe is correct. And I still have to guess how much of the whole pot is my serving. I'm almost ashamed to call myself a consistent logger!

Hmm, well, it wouldn't be nearly as accurate but would be better than eyeballing... Could you weigh the whole pot on a people/bathroom scale? Mine is accurate to with 1/4lb (or at least says it is) - that wouldn't too bad to get an overall estimate or would at least be a start? :flowerforyou:
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If you're batch cooking divide the total amount cooked into smaller one or two portion dishes - eg I made Chilli - when done I divided it up equally into what I considered one portion dishes to freeze - however many pots I ended up with (6 in that case) i divide into the total calories for the dish - giving cals per portion. If you weigh what you consider to be a portion you will never have to do it again as you will know how much to weigh out. My freezer is full of one or two portion margerine tubs of stews, soups, bolognaise and chilli - each tub marked with what a portion weight should be (usually 200g) eg - beef stew 200g=1

EAT it sounds a faff but you only have to do it the first time you cook it - from then on you can add that recipe to your diary easily and accurately
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    This is also difficult for me. I have tried using the recipe builder, but if you don't know how big or how many potions are in it what do you do? For example, if you see a recipe and it doesn't say how many servings it is, what do you do? If it is soup and you want the serving size to be one cup, how do you know how many cups are in the whole recipe?

I agree. The hard part is figuring out how many serving there are.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you're batch cooking divide the total amount cooked into smaller one or two portion dishes - eg I made Chilli - when done I divided it up equally into what I considered one portion dishes to freeze - however many pots I ended up with (6 in that case) i divide into the total calories for the dish - giving cals per portion. If you weigh what you consider to be a portion you will never have to do it again as you will know how much to weigh out. My freezer is full of one or two portion margerine tubs of stews, soups, bolognaise and chilli - each tub marked with what a portion weight should be (usually 200g) eg - beef stew 200g=1

EAT it sounds a faff but you only have to do it the first time you cook it - from then on you can add that recipe to your diary easily and accurately

Now that's a good idea - although my recipes change slightly (due to veg availabiliy normally), it's not something that's going to throw it off too much.

The state my bathroom scales are in, I wouldn't want a cookpot anywhere near! :laugh:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

(edited for spelling)

I estimate serving sizes. I've always estimated them. Actually weighing out servings is a little too over-the-top for me. Most of my recipes feed five (two servings each for me and my husband, two half-servings for my four year old). I take about 1/5th. If I'm feeling really anal, I'll serve up everyone's portions. For soup or chili, sometimes I'll serve up all the dining and leftover containers right away, or I'll look at the pot and guess the servings.

Here's the thing about weighing the final recipe: It's still not 100% accurate. I mean, you add stew meat, carrots, onion, kale, broth, spices, wine, greens, etc to make a stew. But one portion may have more meat than another, or more carrots, even though the scale says they are the same weight. Despite being the same weight, they don't have the precise, same number of calories because the ingredients in each bowl vary slightly.

This is one circumstance where I think close enough is good enough. I can be bothered to weigh ingredients as I add them, and edit recipes on MFP, but I can't be bothered to weigh my cookware, subtract that weight from the total, divide the total into servings, and then weigh each portion. That seems like something I won't do for the rest of my life, so I won't do it now either.

It's not terrible to eyeball! I aim to not let perfect be the enemy of good, and if you're logging the ingredients pretty precisely, it's not a huge deal to eyeball the portions if you're honest with yourself. That's my method, and it didn't hinder my weight loss nor has it hindered my maintenance. And I have 34 pages of recipes so I obviously employ this method OFTEN.
  • StoneColdLiger
    StoneColdLiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Create your own recipe in the database and use that.
    This. I just do this anytime I make a homemade recipe.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Weigh each ingredient before cooking and either enter them all individually, or if it's something I make often and exactly the same, I enter a recipe.

My husband does it for me when he cooks, and when we're eating together we weigh everything and I just log half of it. I even weigh the plates once it's dished up sometimes, to make sure the portions are even :sad:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder is great. I just wish MFP would add a way to organize the recipes better into folders or something. my list is pretty big now. I also wish there was a way to edit and save to my own list recipes from the database that I've edited...example, recipe calls for regular cheese and I use reduced fat or leave something out of the recipe entirely. Hopefully they'll continue to improve it and I'll see these options someday.
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I log everything as individual items in my food diary. I don't log spices though. I mostly ignore serving sizes if I'm logging food items in a recipe as individuals but like everyone said, using the recipe builder is a much better option.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I will warn you, if you use the APP......you may not want to use it, when creating a recipe.....lol. The UPC scanner doesn't work too well, and when you hit the back button on your android after hitting "the right food, but has the wrong macros" - you hit the back button, and you then have to "re scan" the bar code of the item to re-search for it......

Complete pain in the behind lol.....9 times out of 10 the product that pops up with the UPC scanner has the wrong macronutrients.....either because the product changed, or someone decided to add it, with lower sodium so that it would fit better into their daily nutrition and not send their sodium/carbs/fat to the negative.....lol.

Just an observation/tip.....

I recently contacted MFP regarding this......there's a lot of duplicates.....wish there was a way for them to "prune" old or outdated products with wrong nutrion info.....since the rating system will not show up on the app to rate an entry good, bad, or "edit" like the site does.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My tip for homemade recipes is to weigh the whole lot at the end and say for example it is 2563grams I input it as 2563 portions and then I weigh out how much I use each time (eg 300 portions = 300g) and my family can have whatever they want. It also means if I am hungrier or have more cals on a day I can have a bigger portion :smile:
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything raw, and use the entries in the database WITHOUT asterisks (*) whenever possible. Then I enter it into the recipe builder. If it's chili or soup, I'll measure it out by the cup or half-cup into separate containers for freezing or refrigerating. My ideal serving of something like that is usually 1 or 1.5 cups, so I'll measure out mine & my husband's dinner portions into bowls, then put equal amounts into tupperware containers for later. I LOVE the idea of writing the weight of pots and pans on the bottoms- I'm going to start on that this week!

If I'm making something like bread, I usually take the total weight in grams and then weigh the slices as I cut them. It looks sort of funny- a loaf of bread might have 1845 1-gram servings, and then I log, "Bread Machine French Loaf, 50 servings" LOL. Whatever works.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I started weighing my whole meal that I cooked and if the meal weighs 50 oz I say it serves 50 people and then log how many servings by the oz. So last night I had 10 servings of pasta. This makes it easy for me to take leftovers in smaller amounts.