Replies

• biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    sound interesting, i think I will try it! Thanks
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Oh man...your kids are going to HATE you!!!

If you're trying to get your kids on board, you might want to slow your roll a bit and start by making small changes. I can and do make most of the meals in our house from scratch--pancakes without the mix, pasta...just about everything. BUT, I also work full-time, coach, and am on about a bajillion committees at school. I'm busy, and sometimes, I don't have time to make homemade meatballs--just because I CAN doesn't mean I SHOULD, kwim?

So, sometimes, my kids get boxed mac and cheese and frozen chicken nuggets.
    Sometimes, they get the home cooked, home grown (especially in the summer--we garden) meals.

They'll eat both happily.

I don't think you have to eat "100% organic/clean/"non-processed" (whateverthehell that means) to eat healthy and sustain a healthy lifestyle.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't "clean up" what you're eating, but damn, if your kids want Spaghetti-O's once in a while, let them.
  • christarae1
    christarae1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ground-Beef-and-Green-Olives-Pizza.png

INGREDIENTS
    ¼ pizza dough
    ¼ cup tomato sauce (I used Eden Organic)
    100g mushrooms, sliced
    ¼ green bell pepper, diced
    200g beef from top round, ground
    ½ tsp onion powder
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
    Pinch Himalayan or fine sea salt
    ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
    100g light mozzarella cheese, grated
    4 tbsp sliced green olives

INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 500F.
    In a small non-stick pan that’s been preheated over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed fennel seeds, salt and pepper and cook until beef turns nice and golden brown.
    Transfer the beef to a plate or bowl and add the mushrooms to the hot pan; cook until golden on both sides.
    Turn off the heat and reserve.
    On a well-floured surface (I like to use cornmeal), roll the pizza dough into a thin 10-12 inch disc and lay it on a baking sheet.
    Spread tomato sauce evenly on the dough; top with mushrooms and half the bell peppers; add ¾ of the mozzarella cheese, followed by the ground beef, the rest of the bell peppers and sliced olives.
    Finally, add the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
    Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and the crust starts to color on the edge.

Total calories: 312cal

How many servings?

I googled the recipe and found it online at thehealthyfoodie.com which states that it is 312kcals for 1/4 of the pizza. It's also got the full nutrition there.

ETA: Ground-Beef-and-Green-Olive-Pizza-NF.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Most recipes can be converted to "clean" just replace processed ingredients with homemade. Any recipe that calls for a can of cream of whatever soup you can just use flour and milk to make it creamy instead.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    bump
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will read later
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The heart and stroke site has some pretty good recipes too
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I'll admit that I rely on my organic grocery stores to source foods that don't have crazy ingredients.

For kids, you might appease them with some baked sweet potato fries.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone has already shared this but there are a lot of recipes here:

http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/

Plus it gives all sorts of information and tells their stories, successes, etc.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    cleaneatingmag.com is also the site for Clean Eating magazine. Lots of family friendly meals. My family's fav is Sweet and Sour Chicken - it has a lot of veggies and pineapple, but I blend it up and the kids don't know what they're eating :)

Just looked this recipe up and WILL be making this soon! Thanks!

ETA: the sweet and sour chicken recipe
  • hayley9914
    hayley9914 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump - this looks amazing!
  • andreaos22
    andreaos22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump, everything looks great!