Best Healthy Mom Meals and Snacks

Options
About to do a grocery shop today and would love some great meal or snack ideas. New mom who is having trouble eating healthy, especially with feeling ravenous from nursing. Would love easy to make or quick ideas, thanks!

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites--

Breakfast:
    -oatmeal with peanut butter, cinnamon, and either raisins or banana
    -eggs scrambled with onion/spinach/tomato, put on wheat toast and topped with salsa

Lunch:
    -sandwiches of all kinds (deli meat & cheese, tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, BLT's, PB&J)
    -salad with nuts, chicken, hardboiled egg, dried fruit, lots of veggies, etc

Snacks:
    -Greek yogurt
    -nuts or trail mix
    -piece of fruit
    -cottage cheese & fruit
    -protein bars (I ate the Clif Builder bars while nursing and ravenous, and still eat them now!)
    -cheese & crackers
    -graham crackers & peanut butter
    -fruit & yogurt smoothie
    -veggies & hummus

Dinner can be anything at all--casseroles, soup or stew, a crockpot meal, breakfast for dinner, etc.

Protein and healthy fats will help keep you full and keep a healthy milk supply :) Try to eat a little snack every time the baby nurses, that way you are already sitting down and can easily eat something to keep up with your hunger. I ate small meals very often while nursing. Also water water water!
  • sunshineandprayers
    sunshineandprayers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I remember the constant hunger from breastfeeding! I nursed for 18 months. It was a challenge!

For me, things that were very chewy worked best as those enabled me to get in the substantial "mouth feel" that I need to feel full. Things like chips, etc. -- simple carbs -- just dissolve too fast and weren't effective. I did best with lots of water and high-protein snacks: beef jerky (Costco has a good option on sale this month), string cheese, and hard-boiled eggs.

Oatmeal made my blood sugar spike and left me hungry 2 hours later, but if it works, go for it! I ate a ton of sweet potatoes, as complex carbs tended to keep me more full.

Vegetables and fruits that I could eat quickly also helped. 1 serving of baby carrots and 2 tablespoons of PB2 makes for a really quick, crunchy snack for only 80 calories. Cherry and grape tomatoes are also good and portable.

For meals, I often did canned tuna with 2 tbsp of low-cal salad dressing, salt, and pepper. It's a good high-protein template to which you can add extra veggies. I still eat a can of tuna at least once a week like that for lunch.

Remember, too, that the flavors will go to your milk -- I have observed that my son now likes the foods that I ate a lot when I was pregnant and breastfeeding. So it's a great way to get healthy tastes into your little one at a very early age :)

Feel free to add me if you have any questions or if there's anything I can help with. Best wishes!